Fin set up on Byerly Volt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fin set up on Byerly Volt

Have been trying to ride a 4-10 Byerly Volt this summer. I feel the wave is big enough but I not getting a lot of drive. I currently have the four fins attached, and I am wondering does this have any effect. If I remove them and just have the center fin will make it "glide" better.
    Every Day POETS day - Piss Off Early, Today we Ski

I run the two side fins only on my Volt, but I tend to prefer a looser feeling board. I had a really hard time getting used to riding this board at first, but eventually found that I was riding this board with my weight/stance way too far back. I think this is because I was accustomed to a more buoyant board. Riding with my feet set dead center on this board seemed to work well for me.

Comment

Just wondering if then our weights are similar. I am 5-10 & 100kg (212lb). What position are the side fins, the inner or outer and are they the larger fins or the smaller. Do you porpoise the board much with your weight closer to the front??
      What boat are you surfing behind??
      Every Day POETS day - Piss Off Early, Today we Ski

Comment

One fin in the rear of the board will make it feel much looser. You'll be able to kick the back end out pretty easily with that setup. It might add a little speed, but not enough to solve your issue. I would suggest learning with either all 4 in the side, or the two larger ones in the side.

Like motoracer said the board is real sensitive to where you are putting your weight. Are you pumping up and down the wake to gain speed when you start to fall back? I thought it was a pretty great board to learn on, although you may be a tad heavy for the size board

Comment

We are using the larger fins in the more forward position. I'm 6'2", 195Lbs. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
          X