Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do ocean surfboards differ from wakesurf boards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do ocean surfboards differ from wakesurf boards?

Other than that they're obviously shorter, what are the design differences between boards meant for the ocean and boards meant for the lake? My son received a subscription to Surfer Magazine last Christmas from his lives-at-the-California-beach uncle, and in reading the articles I'm seeing a lot of parallels in board philosophies, fin setups, etc.

A lot of the ocean surfboards are advertised as being for wave heights of "ankle to waist", "ankle to chest", etc. Lots of us have waves that big behind our boats. Why don't we see more crossover from the existing surfboard makers to the wakesurf market? There's enough volume in wakesurfing to support the likes of Inland Surf, Ronix, Liquid Force, etc. busy - so why aren't we seeing more coming out of the shaping booth up and down the California coast? Anyone ever try a really short ocean board behind one of our boats? What happened?

Anyway, reading all of these Surfer Magazine articles and advertisements makes me wonder: What are the differences? I'm sure the collected wisdom here knows the answer. Thanks!
    Last edited by IDBoating; 09-23-2013, 07:16 PM.

We have tried ocean boards. They are normally sluggish, but surf just fine. For the most part they are similar. Just smaller with less rocker. Fin angles will be slightly different, since our boats put out tiny weak waves compared to the ocean.
    Build thread: http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?14787-Duffy-s-2005-24v-wakesurfing-mod-thread&highlight=duffys+24v

Comment

A lot has to do how you ride the board. wake surfing requires alot more weight on your front foot to keep you in the wake, then all the tricks are centered around that. Surfing, your stance is more at the rear of the board above your fins. You don't need to worry about falling out the back of the wave while surfing because the ocean is way more powerful than a boat wake. Surf boards have more mass/ longer to keep your nose from purling. Also, fins are bigger for better stability. Wake surfing is more like skim boarding or skateboarding where there are more technical tricks where as surfing is a lot faster with bigger turns and bigger airs etc. A wake surfboard would never work in the ocean because they are too small and don't provide enough bouncy for someone to actually paddle into a wave. Also, surfboards wont work behind a boat because they are too big. Even a groms small 5 footer wouldn't work because there not enough floatation to keep up with the boat wake.

It really just revolves around the power of the wave. A 3 foot ocean wave has way more energy and mass compared to a 3 foot boat wake. Also, companies don't mess with surfing because its a very localized sport. Surfers know the boards they like and most have them custom made by there preferred shaper. Surf companies don't bother with wakesurfing because that sport is just minute compared to the surfing world.

Comment

Major differences:

1. Rocker: Ocean boards have way more full board rocker and less buoyancy on the tail
        2. Fins: The fin sizes and angles are larger and angled for higher speeds
        3. Less buoyancy on the nose
        4. Softer rails

All has been said above of course due to the ocean waves have an incredible amount of more energy to "push" you along. (I hate the description of push but it works to describe the solidness to a wave)

All that being said though. I have surfed one of my ocean surfboards behind our RZR with VX and it did remarkably well. It is a 5'2" high performance shortboard. In the end there are small differences but they do make a difference on our man made waves.

I would love to see more crossover between ocean and wake surfing. I think there is a huge opportunity here for ocean manufacturers and sponsors to step in. Tige has made a good start by sponsoring Josh Kerr ranked #10 in the world ASP surfing. Seeing the Tige sticker on his boards is pretty sweet.

When we traveled to Costa Rica earlier this year I got asked a lot, how does a guy living in the middle of the country(South Dakota) hop right into the ocean and shred. My answer was wakesurfing(That and I grew up in California and had ocean surfed from 8yrs old till I moved to SD at the age of 23) and they all knew about it and some of them had even done it on lakes in Costa Rica or one guy I met from Argentina regularly wakesurfs. The crossover truly is there!
        2013 RZR w/ConvexVX
        http://www.surfsupws.com http://facebook.com/surfsupwatersports

Comment

Originally posted by zroutt View Post
          how does a guy living in the middle of the country(South Dakota) hop right into the ocean and shred. My answer was wakesurfing
          The next time we visit my brother-in-law the surf bum (and I say that with love!) I'm planning to give ocean surfing a try. My biggest worry is getting up on top of the board in time to actually surf. I've taken my whitewater kayaks into the surf and it was a big letdown compared to surfing hydraulics on a river - the ride is over in a very short time and then it's paddle paddle paddle back out to catch another one. Surfing a kayak on a river, and surfing a board on a lake, has gotten me used to "endless waves".

Comment

WABoating, you are absolutely correct. Since I had not ridden an ocean wave in 8 years before traveling to Costa Rica, I did several months of conditioning before getting back in the ocean. A lot of surf inspired fitness, took the fins off one of my ocean boards and practiced popping up. Tons and tons of push ups as well as core stability training. Took up a spinning class to help my breathing and overall conditioning.

But you are right, the ocean is a much shorter ride with a lot of work in between waves. Where behind a boat that endless wave you get to practice more of your technique. However on a great point break like we found in Costa Rica and I used to ride in California, on the good days you can get waves that last quite a while. And the power behind one of these is far superior to a wakesurf wave. Not complaining though. Love our sport of wakesurfing.

One of my waves in Costa Rica:
            DSC_3919.jpg
            2013 RZR w/ConvexVX
            http://www.surfsupws.com http://facebook.com/surfsupwatersports

Comment

The other difference is the surface area around the nose. Look at most of your wakesurfers and they will run that width out as close to the nose as possible whereas the ocean board can make a nice slow taper. I started to make my own board and cut the shape out and thought I had a cool shape until it dawned on me as to why you don't see wakesurfers with the more aggressive taper to the nose.

Comment

That is a sick wave!!

Comment

Working...
                X