No announcement yet.

Opposite surf weighting theory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am convinced I have one of the greatest goofy waves in the world. It's freaking giant.
    Build thread: http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?14787-Duffy-s-2005-24v-wakesurfing-mod-thread&highlight=duffys+24v

Comment

Originally posted by luke View Post
      That's what I've herd also but with my z3 this does not seem to be the case it's the reg side that is easy to dial not the goofy why do we think this is? I also need more list on goofy side to clean up wake.
      Besides weight have you tried various taps and speed to clean up the goofy side? Most of the guys with clean goofy side wakes are probably running faster than 11.5 mph. I run 11.8-12 to clean up my starboard side wake. Because of the prop rotation it is going to need different parameters to get a similar wake on both sides but it is possible. All the talk about contest runs and running slower is all fine and good but when your running massive amounts of weight you need to speed up a little to have a clean face on the wake. Same principle applies to wakeboard wakes too, look at the size of wickedcummings wakeboard wake and how fast they run to keep a clean face, like 27-28 mph.
      2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
      2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

Something I don't understand is that my old 24V has an easier time setting up the goofy side (similar to Duffy) and its the same prop rotation as the newer boats (LH). It really is not difficult to setup the regular side but my goofy is very very consistent and easy.

Aren't the old Centurian Enzo's LH prop rotation and their goofy side waves are tough to get right? Basically, I am just surprised that with a LH prop rotation the goofy side is easier to setup and more consistent but that seems to be the case on my boat. Isn't the "right surf" option on centurions RH rotation which seems counter to having a better goofy wave with a LH prop.

I have wondered if the old sloped transoms of the 22V and 24V when listed help create a better wave. Near the water surface my hull on the opposite side is longer than the surf side due to that infamous sloped transom.
        Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

The enzo can throw a good goofy wave it just takes a ton of weight.

My theory on the 24v wave is for the simple fact of hull design and size of the lockers. They are huge! Huge lockers= huge potential for weight. Create enough list and I think that takes care of most of the wash.
          Build thread: http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?14787-Duffy-s-2005-24v-wakesurfing-mod-thread&highlight=duffys+24v

Comment

Originally posted by duffymahoney View Post
            My theory on the 24v wave is for the simple fact of hull design and size of the lockers. They are huge! Huge lockers= huge potential for weight. Create enough list and I think that takes care of most of the wash.
            I second this opinion. My 24Ve with its stripped-to-the-hull lockers and enormous custom fat sacs produces a very nice, and very clean, goofy side wave. But this is with an obscene amount of ballast. Something interesting to try, which I'll do next time we go goofy, would be to watch what happens to the wave as we deballast. Based on these comments I would expect it to get "dirty" as the fac sac drains. I'll report when we know.

Comment

With less weight mine will eventually get dirty, but I have a cut down swim deck, wave flap, so both of my waves are pretty clean. As the weight gets less I have to use more taps to clean it up.

Comment

Don't get me wrong the goofy wave is bad arse it just takes more work I have ragboys custom sacks taps 3 speed 11.4 no vx yet list at 13deg as reg only need to list at 10 deg

Comment

I find the 24V super easy and less weight to make a great surf wake. The locker size helps for sure as you can cram more weight in the corner and under seat so no sacs needed on the seat. I also feel that the shape of the sloped transom aids in wake shape. For the money, I do not think you can beat the 24V wake. I really like my Z3 wake now but my 24V is right up there with it.

Both boats of mine require opposite side weight to create a hard wake on reg side.
                  2016 Tige Z3, 2014 Tige Z3
                  2013 Tige Z3, 2004 Tige 24V (Legen....dary)

Comment

Originally posted by loudelectronics View Post
                    I find the 24V super easy and less weight to make a great surf wake. The locker size helps for sure as you can cram more weight in the corner and under seat so no sacs needed on the seat. I also feel that the shape of the sloped transom aids in wake shape. For the money, I do not think you can beat the 24V wake. I really like my Z3 wake now but my 24V is right up there with it.

Both boats of mine require opposite side weight to create a hard wake on reg side.
                    Do you have vx ? How much opposite weight on z3 ?

Comment

So, as some of you know, I struggled with my goofy wave all summer. I read through this thread during the summer but didn't really spend the time to really wrap my head around prop effects and it's probably why I struggled.

My regular wave was flat out money all summer. I boat has the surf system and we would fill the port side 600 full and the front 400. We never played with opposite side weighting much but did fill the starboard to about 25% once or twice. All of the surfers on my boat are beginners so we did not get above 10.6 or so in speed as we are still playing with finding sweet spot and pocket and stuff. I bet the 25% would help with faster speeds, regardless the regular side of my boat is flat out awesome.

Now.... the goofy side. Flat out never got it dialed in. I kick my self now because now that I have taken the time to understand all this prop effect, I'm gonna need a considerable amount of opposite weight i think (when i say considerable i say 50% of what i have on starboard side). With just the starboard 600 and front 400 filled the boat list way more to starboard than it does with similar conditions on the regular side. I imagine ill have to speed up a bit. I did fill the port side about 25% but I don't think it was enough. The prop wash is insane. Goofy surfers are literally fighting the mike tyson of prop wash.... lol. It is bad. Now I have to wait all summer to dial in the goofy side. I have no doubt more opposite side weight and more speed will clean up the face. I'm going to build a surf flap as well.

It's gonna be a long winter..... ugh.

Comment

Working...
                      X