Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surf Wake on RZ2

Hi Guys
    Looking for some advice on setting up my RZ2 for surfing. I just bought the 2011 RZ2 late last fall. It has the pro-surf ballasts installed. I have been experimenting and I see a few different posts on the set up for the RZ4 and the Z3.

I filled up the surf side tanks front and back to 100% and no water in the opposite side. I have had the TAPS set at 3 and running at 12 mph.

If there are any suggestions that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for the help!!!

RZ2's can be setup a few different ways. For some reason my '07 RZ2 doesn't like any bow weight at all so all you do is fill up the rear corner that you are surfing and set it at 10.8 to 11.2 and adjust the taps to clean it up and go. Start there and then see how your boat likes bow weight.

Comment

In our 12 RZ2 I fill the front entirely full all 800lbs. Surf side rear 100% full and the non surf side 25% full. Makes a kick *** wave!!! We also surf in the 10-10.6 range depending on which board we are riding. 10mph for our surf style board and 10.6 for our skim style.

Comment

When I had my 07 RZ2 with 2011 platform I filled the rear corner with about 750 (250 stock hard tanks and another 500 in a sac). I left the opposite corner empty. I also had the stock front bag full about 250. Speed was 10.6 and TAPs at 5. Adding more people to the same side made it better.

Comment

Thanks guys for the help. Hope to try out the different settings and see if I can get the wave dialed in!

Comment

Rather than an absoulte configuration, let the rub rail be your guide.

I suggest filling the rear surf side locker (e.g., tanks and bags) full and stacking your people up on the surf side bench. Is your rub rail near water level? If no, make sure any bow weight is only on the surf side (consider putting a person in the bow on surf side). If your rub rail is near or at water level, go ahead and fill the bow full on both sides. If the rub rail is till down near the water, fill part of your rear off-side tank/sack too. On days with lots of crew, you will have lots of bow weight and some off-side rear weight.

A 150 lb cube can be useful for days where not as many people are on the boat. Strap it on the rear platform for best effect. Or use the cube in the rear surf corner floor or surf side bow seat.

Finally, if water patrol is not strict in your area, a person sitting on the rear stern bench with their feet on the platform really helps (and makes rope duty easier too).

Comment

Thanks Duncan - hadn't even considered that as a method of checking the weight. Looked mostly at the filling the lockers and then focusing on the taps and speed. It all has to be considered!!!

Comment

Originally posted by RZ Dano View Post
                Thanks Duncan - hadn't even considered that as a method of checking the weight. Looked mostly at the filling the lockers and then focusing on the taps and speed. It all has to be considered!!!
                I am sure you already see this, but Taps and speed are important. Low Taps (~1-2) produce a shorter height wake but extend the pocket (sloped wall better for skim style). Medium Taps (~3-4) give you a taller wave and a steeper wall but at the expense of shortening the pocket. I find Taps any higher to be of no use as it washes out the wave and obliterates the pocket.

Increased speed will lengthen the pocket. But some boards are faster than others.

We have skim-style board we run around 10.5 -- much faster and it becomes more work to keep up with the boat (note, more of our newbie riders are on this board, which contributes to needing lower speed). Luckily, as a skim board, it does not really need as steep a wall so the low Taps can partially offset the low speed-induced short pocket.

We have a "big boy" glass surf-style board we run around 11.5. The fins are for cruising and much faster the board takes more work to keep up with the boat. Also, riders of the "big boy" board are ... well, ... bigger (and not as interested in slashing around and working to keep up).

Finally, we have a Walker Project F-18 glass surf-style board we run at 12 for me and 12.5 for my wife. It is my wife's board and I at "175" lbs (on a good day) am at the very upper weight limit for it. 12 mph works for me (rear foot has to be forward off the back of the stomp pad) but much faster and the work to keep up with the boat really takes over. But for a fast board with the right weight profile, 12.5 is a sweet spot.

Summary: I suggest running the fastest speed that is just outside the comfort zone for your rider (they should be working a little) or up to about 12.5. The benefit is a longer pocket at any Taps setting. Low Taps settings for skim and medium Taps settings for surf style (note, I bump Taps down to 1-2 and slow down a little to 11.5 or 12 if my wife is working on her 360).

Comment

Hi Guys
                  Wanted to get back to you with some updates! I think that I am getting pretty close to having the wave dialed in! I filled both front ballasts, the side i am surfing 100% and then about 25 % on the off side. Pulling at about 11.4 mph and taps at 3 and that seems to get a pretty good sized wake. I have been speeding up a bit with more people in the boat. There is plenty of wake to surf! Thanks for the help guys. Now just need to see how the Convex VX is going to work.

Comment

My rz2 with the convex I'm still dialing in but so far I like 100 percent in the bow and 100 percent in the rear at10.5 mph taps at 3 to 4 and it seems to be pretty close but like I said I'm still tryn to get it figured out
                    surf till u die.

Comment

Working...
                    X