New kid on the block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New kid on the block

This is Micaela wake surfing for the 1St time.
    Boat 2006 22v
    Ballast: port stock ballast front and rear full,
    Speed: 10-12 mph
    I understand that to improve the wake ballast is the key but where to put it is my question?
    I seemed to get less wake if I pumped any ballast on the starboard side.
    And Mother in-law in port rear seat. IMG-20130630-WA000.jpgIMG-20130630-WA001.jpgIMG-20130630-WA002.jpgIMG-20130630-WA003.jpgIMG-20130630-WA004.jpgIMG-20130630-WA005.jpgIMG-20130630-WA006.jpgIMG-20130630-WA007.jpgIMG-20130630-WA008.jpg

Have you tried it without filling the front ballast at all? Most front ballast is used for dialing in the wakeBOARDing wake, not the wakeSURFing wake. We need a bit of front ballast when surfing goofy (wave on starboard side) to compensate for the prop rotation direction but when on the port side, as in your photos, we use zero front ballast.

Comment

on the 22' boats the general trend is that rear weight helps with the height of the wave and front weight helps lengthen the pocket of the wave, so first add weight to the rear corner of the surf side to get the desired height, then slowly add some weight to the front until the pocket is long enough. Keep in mind that adding weight to the bow will knock down the height of the wake a little so it's a balancing act, add some rear weight, wave is bigger, add some bow weight, wave gets longer but not as high, so add some more weight to the rear corner.

This is the simplistic model and does not take into account TAPS or speed. As a general rule for speed, slower makes for a taller wave height but has a shorter pocket, faster gets a longer pocket but shorter wave, so you have to play around with speed as well. TAPS helps clean up the wave and also can help adjust the height and length of the wave. TAPS 1 gives the longest wave with the shortest height, and TAPS 8 gives the tallest wave with the shortest length (pocket). The way I approach dialing in a wave is to start with the max weight in the rear corner, TAPS at 3 and adjust speed to clean up the wake. If speeding up to 13mph does not clean up the wave and give a clean face, then I go back to a medium speed, such as 11.5 and start adding weight to the bow to get a longer surfable wave. If it still needs a little tweak then mess around with TAPS to fine tune the wave.

My setup is about 1150 in the rear corner and the 400 U shaped bow sac full up front, speed is 11.8 with taps at 4 with 3 adults in the boat, 1 driver and the other 2 sitting on the surf side, and my 2 kids in the bow on the surf side. If we don't have extra adults I place a 150 sac on top of the surf V-locker and another on the surf bow seat.
      2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
      2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

TX Eworx
        I will now go play around with the setup with the explanation in mind, but that will only be able to do once I get the boat sorted. Boat went in to limp mode on Sunday.
        I noticed that the volt meter has only been running at max 12.5v and now is as low as 11.5v Think there is something wrong with the electrical will have a autolec have a look in to this week.
        You know where I can get an electrical diagrams for a 2006 22v. Have ask my locale tige dealer a few time and still waiting. and he cant check as out the problem as he is like 600 mile from where I stay.

Comment

Message Majestic, he might have the diagram you need. He has a 2008 22Ve but it might be close enough, try to message chpthrill too, those guys know the electrical systems.
          2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
          2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

Thanks all
            Hope to have the boat up and running soon Autolec seems to think it is the battery could this be the problem with my boat? he also found a blown fuse 7.5 amp.
            thanks
            Ronald

Comment

Working...
            X