Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new wakesurf board

Hi all,
    I'm in the market for a new board this year. Last year was my first year surfing with my R20. I had a CWB Tsunami. I sold it a month ago, and am looking for an upgrade. I'm looking at a Ronix Thruster($599) or Carbon Thurster($699) but I haven't heard many reviews on them. Also looking at Inland Surfer sweet spot($699). Average weight of my riders will be around 200 lbs. I would love to try some of these boards before buying them, but i don't know of any place to demo them. It's a hell of a lot of money to spend without trying one out! Any reviews on any of these boards, or any of your favorite boards would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance!

The Inland Surfer Mucus will probably work well for you. Good for 3's and airs and very durable.

Comment

My buddy has the 2013 Carbon Thruster and likes it. He has been surfing for 3 years now. Wicked on here likes the Carbon Thruster. There are many different fin options that you can set up.

Where are you located? Squids Wake has a quiver of boards that he demo's. He is located in the Denver area.

A couple of others that have gotten some good reviews are Soulcraft and TWP. There are many different boards out there. Kidd rides the Mendonesia.

Good luck on your search.

Comment

Another vote for the Carbon Thruster. We surfed ours all last season and love it. I've compared it to a couple of other surf-style (read: non-skim-style) boards and FAR prefer the Carbon Thruster. Ability to play with the fin configuration is a blast, too. Remarkable how much difference small changes can make.

Comment

Tell us about your riding style. Did you like the Tsunami? Did you hate it? Do you like to pump the board a lot or just relax and chill? Are you more interested in Air or spins or a combo? Have you watched video's on surf style and skim style? 200 lbs means that you will want a larger board. I'm in that weight range as our my buddies and we like to be able to relax on the board but also want down the line speed and get some air too. I went with The Walker Project's Bomb Pop in a 4'9" length last season and absolutely love it. You really need to demo some boards if you aren't sure what you like or else you could get stuck with something that isn't your style.

Comment

Also, check out Wake9.com for further discussions on boards!

Comment

Originally posted by Timmy! View Post
              You really need to demo some boards if you aren't sure what you like or else you could get stuck with something that isn't your style.
              This is REALLY good advice. I bought the Carbon Thruster at the recommendation of a local shop whose (family) staff I trust, and who was willing to take it back if I hated it, and am really happy. But I was also considering another very highly rated board, and when I finally got the chance to try them side by side I loved my Thruster but found the other board not to my liking. Meanwhile, the owner of the other board felt the exact opposite. So it's very much a "personal fit" thing. I took a chance and it turned out great, but I could have easily gone with the other board I was considering and been much less happy.

Listen to Timmy, and try to demo some boards!

Comment

I had the same experience, WA! I was dead set on the Chase Hazen model from Shred Stixx and had all but purchased it. I bought my current board and then got to ride that board later in the year and didn't like it all. So glad that I didn't buy it as it wasn't the right board for me. As Squid's Wake says, "let the board pick you".

On that same note, if you are interested in the Ronix one, check out the new Liquid Force Chase Sixer: http://www.liquidforce.com/wakesurfers-chase-sixer.html I checked this board out the other night at Wakeboard & Water Ski Specialty here in Denver and the construction is very nice, did not ride it though. Looks like a solid hand made board.

Comment

The new Thruster is the SHIET... I love it.. The old one was great but the new one is SICK.... My vote for the thruster also.. Ridden a lot of boards and none compare
                  www.1320diesel.com Home of the Fastest Diesels!
                  http://youtu.be/dEDdM0Y3IGs?hd=1

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys! Last year was my first year, so I had a lot to learn with ballast settings and learning to surf. I liked the Tsunami, but it didn't seem fast enough even with pumping hard. I eventually want to get air and spin. I have the stock 900 lb ballast, but this winter I picked up a 750lb sac. I'm sure that will help with more push. I will check out all the boards you all mentioned and get back with you.

thanks

Comment

I actually had the Tsunami as well and recently bought the Carbon Thruster. I haven't touched the Tsunami since. I keep it for teaching new riders but have been having a blast on the thruster. I'm always looking to ride new boards when someone brings one on, but have yet to find one I like better. Recently I put a 370# Tube sack under the seat on my port side and found that to be a game changer for my RZR. I put that 750 on top of the seat as well if It's not full of passengers and that really dials it in nicely for me.

Comment

Well I'm going with the Carbon Thruster. Everyone has nothing but raves for this board, so it's got to be good! Now to choose a size??? comes in 55" 61" or 67" lengths. Average rider about 200 lbs. 5'10" to 6'2" tall(if that makes a difference). I'm thinking the 61" would be about right. Thoughts????

Comment

I'm 6'2" 185 and I ride the 55" model. I like having it maneuverable. if you have a smaller wake though you might go up one size, but I def wouldn't go with the biggest one.

Comment

I have the smallest version (they didn't offer the huge size last year) and have never wished it was larger. Nor have any of the 200+ guys who have tried it. Stay small unless your wave is tiny.

Comment

Thanks to everyone with all the help. I went with the 55". I'm sure it will all work out. If you see a Thruster for sale on this site, you'll know that it didn't

Comment

Working...
                              X