Hyperlite Landlock 5'11" review...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hyperlite Landlock 5'11" review...

Thanks to Squids Wake we were able to try out a Hyperlite Landlock 5'11" surf board over the weekend. We were excited because it looked like a cool board that would be easy to just cruise and kick back on and maybe hang 10 or something.

Looks - cool looking board but looks can be deceiving.

Weight - This board is a heavy beast, not sure on the weight but I've never felt a surfboard this heavy in my life.

Handling - it doesn't handle, it just goes in a straight line once you finally muster it into the pocket.

Speed - nope, none at all. I think a door might surf better than this board. Just getting up out of the water on this board is a challenge due to it's weight and size and then trying to pull yourself into the pocket is a workout. Staying in the pocket was a workout as well. I couldn't find the balance of foot placement to keep this board in the pocket without pearling.

I would not recommend this board to anyone unless you are really just bored and have nothing else to do. If that's the case, I would take a piece of plywood and cut it into the same shape and it will probably ride about the same. If you find a cheap used one, buy it and put some hooks on the wall and hang it there because it is a nice looking piece and would be great as a decoration if you are into surfing.

This review was meant to be funny and serious at the same time. If you own this board and disagree, that is fine, no offense intended. All the information above is my personal opinion and yours may vary.

Thanks again to Squids Wake for the demo!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Timmy!; 07-30-2012, 04:45 PM.

I just thought of something...maybe they call it a Landlock because it's not meant for water?

Comment

I rode the same board this weekend and had the same thoughts. My 11 yr old son rode it and enjoyed it, he has not advanced to tricks just gets in the pocket and rides.

Comment

Wow. Straight rip off of the Bear logo as well.
        You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

I meant to try some of squids boards but ended up drunk instead. Damn you alcohol!

Comment

Most people say the landlock is good to make a bench or table out of, not for surfing. I have one, so I know.

Comment

Thanks Timmy,

Funny how I could have such a slug in a Quiver that is filled with respectable boards. People still ask about it and want to try. When the handling questions stop on this board we shall use it to play beer pong on! Tell then its been the one board I don't charge to demo, it wouldn't be right!
              Squid
              squidswake@gmail.com

Comment

Thanks Timmy! We have one and have been trying to ride it. This makes me feel better that it's not just us oe our wake. It is very difficult to keep it from pearling and it doesn't do anything but go strait.
                Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

We have this board and I readily agree w these comments but......

For some folks slow and straight is all they want. HL LL is decent beginner board; we had a 65 yr old, two 60 yr old folks and bunches of kids 8-9 yrs old start w that board and get some fun thrills over the last 2 yrs. Its stable, its cheap, its durable and fun playtoy for the kids to paddle around the dock playin surf tag. My wife really likes the board and steadfastly rides each week. Like I said I'm not a big fan but it has a place. my humble 2 cents.

Comment

Totally agree...there is a board out there for everyone. Thats whats so amazing about this sport. No age limit!
                    Squid
                    squidswake@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                    X