Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New auto rope. Knotty or mini handle style?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New auto rope. Knotty or mini handle style?

We need a new surf rope for the Z3. We've been using an old ski rope for years but the line is rather sharp and it's a standard handle with a large enough opening for a foot to slip through. We've had a few rope burns and ankle catch incidents over the years...

Now that there are wakesurf handles specifically, I see there are two styles, the small handle style, sometimes with a one hand "T" handle, or the large knot only style.

We have lots of beginners behind the boat so I'm thinking that the small handle style would be easier to learn on since you can get both hands on an center your weight. The rope or T style means one hand in front of the other and I'm guessing is better for experienced surfers but not beginners.

The rope only or T style would have no risk of an ankle or body part getting caught in the handle opening, but the small handles have such a small opening I'd think it's unlikely to happen anyway.

Currently leaning toward the small handle style but looking for input/opinions....

I have a t handle and it also has some knots more proximal, I think it is great, because no issue with getting anything stuck. I work in the ER and have seen enough parts pulled off by things where it was a one and a million chance. The T handle helps the beginner, and if they can not get up with it, then they probably would not get up anyway.

My two cents, and first person experience seeing more than a hundred traumatic amputations.

Also things that are avulsed off, very very very rarely can be reattached, only sharp amputations usually can. ( I was the put back oner ).
    The worst day of boating is still the better than the best day of work......, unless you bend your prop.

Comment

I would try to find a rope with the big knots and foam balls on it. I imagine the handle is more dangerous for beginners because they are prone to panic while falling and putting an arm through the handle because it all 'happens so fast' for beginners.

Comment

We've had t-handle for at least 3-4 years now and really like it. Works fine for beginners. You can use both hands (one on each side) or one hand (with the rope between your middle and ring fingers).

It also has a thick twisted and knotted section you can use if you need to pull yourself closer to the boat.

It's basically this one: http://www.the-house.com/wkhlfsutgr1...FQF7hwodVmKkiA

Comment

We use a small handle. I like it much better than T or knots I have tried.

We also use Samson Bullet Releases on every line we have. For our surf line/handle, we use the light pins (200 lb release). You might still get hurt in a rope tangle (e.g., bruise, maybe broken bone) but at least there should not be any amputations.

The Samson Bullet Release and other safety releases were previously discussed in this thread.

Comment

I've had all of them. I currently use the Straight line knotted rope w/ foam floats with the mini handle.

The no handle, "donkey dong" ropes are really hard to deal with. They are super heavy, hard to hold onto and not comfortable at all.

I had the T handle for a while. The end caps fell off the handle itself and left the exposed metal edges that could either wack somebody in the head or tear the upholstery. Also very heavy and awkward to throw.

My current set up is the best I've had. Light weight, easy to grip and the foam floats work great for newbies trying to find the pocket. They can pull themselves in by a few feet and not have to grip bare rope. East throw and its not going to bust someone's head open if it does hit them. I just got someone up for the first time after he strugled with the donkey dong the day before with no success. He loved my set up.

I know the danger is there with the handle but, less struggling means less chance for incident IMO. Once you are comfortable with getting up and throwing the rope back to the boat, it is the only way to go.
            You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

I have the Accurate surf rope, and I love it. Never had an incident with it. I have recommend this rope to all buddies, and would recommend it to you as well.

http://www.evo.com/wakeboard-handles...Blue_Image.jpg

Comment

Working...
              X