No announcement yet.

A "Thumb" for behind the boat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soulcraft is in, although he wanted the noserider, he suggested a concave deck kneeboard. Not kneeboard like we did as kids, but from the ocean, think Greenough spoon style.

I think that would be crazy fun. What do you guys think?
    Buy my kid's board! http://www.flyboywakesurf.com

Comment

Originally posted by Surfdad View Post
      Does anyone have any good ideas for how to do that demo program? I can't imagine I'll have 5,000 folks interested, but there are only so many weekends during a summer.
      Talk to ragboy...he did this for awhile with a ballast bag, pump and a board but I think someone "stole" it for awhile. That's the hard part, getting people to ship it to the next person and making sure it's kept in decent shape.

Comment

Thanks for trying to progress the sport Jeff! I spent a few hours last night reading through the flyboy blog and man, I forgot how much stuff you had done!

Comment

Thanks Timmy! Yeah, there is a TON of wakesurf board stuff on the Flyboy site. Some of it even worked!

I'd just like to see some new stuff in wakesurfing, we are just so stuck. As consumers you really have little options, who is going to commission a 5 foot nose rider with 5 fin Bonzer bottom. Oh wait, ME! You get the idea, no one will test a crazy idea because what if it doesn't work, that's like flushing $600 down the drain.

It'd be nice if we can get some new and interesting things to surf with that aren't just another skim or surf.

Comment

Even my wife commented while surfing this past Sunday that she can free ride and cruise around and carve pretty good but she's not interested in aerials or spin tricks so what else is there for her to do? She said it gets boring after 5 minutes. Maybe hanging ten would be fun for her?

Comment

Yeah, if you're just carving, it's not all that thrilling. It becomes more about the social aspects of being out on the water. In the surfing world, folks have quivers, but they aren't just variations of the same board like wakesurf folks do. Some have boards for specific breaks, mostly our "breaks" are always the same. REally it's just all the same to me. Maybe a longboard that we can walk but that doesn't take up every square inch of the interior of the boat. Or the noserider. Something new would be welcome in my book.

Comment

I'm super down to ride it. Maybe you could build some sort of hard case for it for shipping. Maybe we could just meet halfway. I'm down to drive over the hill. It ain't that far. We should hook up ride some time anyways. The problem is weight when you talk shipping. IDK. Maybe if you put some vids out of it being ridden, it'll spark some interest. Maybe win a masters event on it and some of us old folks will just have to have one. Is think it would be a hot item with the HotDoggers. Just thinking out loud here.
                You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

You're welcome anytime Nick. I've been snowboarding up at Sugarbowl and looking down on Donner lake. That is so gorgeous down there, but I can imagine in the heat of summer that water temp is probably 60 degrees!

I think like you suggest these sorts of boards aren't going to be for the introductory folks, so that by itself will limit the takers. That's a good starting point, is just to ask what their experience level is. If they are still figuring out what board they want, this isn't it

But like you and Timmy, it would be a something you guys could give a whirl just for fun and to get you thinking about additions to your boards.

I think this first summer there won't be much time on it. I just sprung the idea on Mike yesterday, so he hasn't even had a chance to do a file in a shaping program. He'll have to squeeze it in amongst his regular productin work and those cut files are probably all done already. I'm hoping that I'll have it around the beginning of July. Just by the number of weekends left, there probably won't be lots of demo's on it.

It'll be fun, a little challenge for these top-of-the-line shapers and we get to see innovative results from crazy ideas.

Comment

on the demo approach-thinkin out loud...... I'd suggest keep simple and easy since time will be kinda short. Perhaps limit to folks u know pretty well and trust to be careful and ship to next person vs open to anybody in which it will go bye-bye pretty quick. 6-8 folks? Maybe have each person shoot some video too as part of the action. Just a few quick ideas. Shipping might be costly-will stop at UPS store to check out.

Comment

Nickypoo: got any vid of the hang-five move or the Jesus?

Comment

Originally posted by jbort View Post
                        Nickypoo: got any vid of the hang-five move or the Jesus?
                        We very rarely shoot vid so, I doubt it. I can think of one pic that I know of where I'm about to fall off but, since I'm usually the one who takes the pics there is rarely any of me. I will check though.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfdad View Post
                          You're welcome anytime Nick. I've been snowboarding up at Sugarbowl and looking down on Donner lake. That is so gorgeous down there, but I can imagine in the heat of summer that water temp is probably 60 degrees!
                          It's not the water temp, its the traffic that sucks. It's a one-way lake in the summer so it just turns into a giant soup bowl. Cambell's Chunky.

Comment

@ jbort that's a really smart idea. I once shipped a board, I think it was to the Wakeoutlaw folks before they were Wakeoutlaws, via greayhound bus. I was skeptical, but they had done it before and insisted it would be fine. I slapped a fragile sticker on it and the address label and it made it fine!

@ Nickypoo that's too bad about Donner, it looks gorgeous from 8,200 feet

Comment

Oh, its gorgeous. No doubt about it. I spent a lot of time there as a kid, kneeboarding the summer days away. Those particular grandparents eventually sold that boat and I stopped going there until we were old enough to take my buddy's dad's jetboat out. We would go up there to look cool and pick up chicks with our hot boat and waterskiing prowess. Needless to say, we did a lot more skiing than making out. One good waterskiing story though...

4th of July weekend. Campbell's Chunky Extreme water conditions. We had no business being out in a 19' jetboat but, we were fresh outta high school and there was nothing we couldn't do. One of my buddys (now a Tige owner) decides he wants to ski. So, we're bashing through 1'- 2' slop chop with this crazy bastard bashing through this crap like a madman when this rouge wave forms right in front of us. I'm certain we are going to snap this jetboat in half. Somehow it flattens out right underneath us and the boat glides right on through. We look at each other just like that scene in the Blues Brothers when they jump the cop car. "Uhh, OK." We then all look behind us and its jacking up again. Oh chit. My buddy completely and, when I say completely, I mean completely disappears behind it and all we can see is the rope going straight into the face of the wave. Epic crash in three, two, one...boom! He comes blasting through the face of the wave, rope in hand, ski on feet, ready for the next one. It was at that moment that I realized, he was a waterski god.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

Comment

As I suspected, one crappy photo of the Jesus. Of the thousands of pictures I have, it is literally the only one. Also, one of only two pics of a 5 that are also crappy. Its my own fault. I got tired of have a couple hundred pictures of the same thing after each day. None of my friends really do much more than stay in the wave so, we just kinda stopped shooting. I'm gonna get some good ones this summer. I promise. Get me a nose rider and I will hang 10.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X