RZR Wakesurf Noob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RZR Wakesurf Noob

I am eager to try wakesurfing and have a 2011 RZR with the 1600lbs factory ballast. I've read on forums of people putting fat sacks on the back side and making the wake bigger. I would like to know if my 1600lbs of factory ballast is going to be enough and should I fill up all 3 (Front and both backs).

I've read much about this on forums, but I wanted the opinion someone with the knowledge of a RZR before I go spending money on the board and fat sacks.

Also, if fat sacks are needed then please tell me which you would buy. Thanks.

Do a search on RZR wakes and you should find some info for setting up your ride. But for starters You will only want to fill the rear sacs and put all your peeps on the side you are surfing on though and there has been some debate on how much to fill the front sacs. Enjoy dialing it in.

On the board, if you are just learning get the hyperlite broadcast, you will advance quickly and get a more advancedboard, but you will be bringing it with you forever to teach others
    "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail" John Wooden- Rest in Peace

Comment

You can PM Chpthril for information on custom sacs for the rear lockers and should be plug and play for you.

Comment

For your RZR, I would not fill the non-surf side ballast. As a beginner, I would not fill the bow ballast either. Just fill the 250# hard tank and 350# sac on the surf side rear.

learning to surf is the opposite of learning to wake-board IMO. When learning to wake-board, the last thing you want or need is a big tall wake to tray and cross. A small flat wake is best for learning to get up, stance, balance and cutting toward the wake and driving through it. Next it learning to jump. Still again, a big wake is not needed to learn the fundamentals of a jump.

With wake surfing, the bigger the wake and the more push it has, the easier it is to learn to go slack on the rope and stay in the pocket. If the wake is small with little push, the learner will struggle to no fault of their own.

Board and stance has a lot to do with successfully surfing, regardless of the wake. For a beginner, you will want a board that has some speed, but not lightening fast and is stable and not too loose. We struggled the 1st season back in 06 because we bought a slug of a board and didnt know what the heck we were doing, but now, with the right board, I could probably stay in the pocket behind a 16ft Jon Boat with a 50 Merc.

IMO, with 600 lbs in the rear corner, a decent board and the right stance, you guys should not have any trouble learning to surf behind that RZR.

In RE to your ballast sac question. There are sacs designed specifically to be a Plug-N-Play upgrade to the OEM 350 lb sacs. Its a 20 minute job and they will fill to about 900 lbs in that boat.
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

x2.....get the bigger sac - definitely worth it

Comment

For learning the stock ballast is the best . With the fat sac the wake is to big for beginers. Fill surf side rear all the way amd the bow bag all the way. That is the set up that works for me. I would also recommend spending a little extra on a board and staying away from the broadcast, very slow board and will quicklly progress out of it. I would suggest a Ronix koal or even one of the new phase 5 boards like the colt or model x. It will save you from wanting to buy a new board half way through the season when you realize the broadcast is a log.

Comment

I meant just fill up the surf side rear, I was just speaking in Montanan

Comment

Originally posted by bspot View Post
                For learning the stock ballast is the best . With the fat sac the wake is to big for beginers. Fill surf side rear all the way amd the bow bag all the way. That is the set up that works for me. I would also recommend spending a little extra on a board and staying away from the broadcast, very slow board and will quicklly progress out of it. I would suggest a Ronix koal or even one of the new phase 5 boards like the colt or model x. It will save you from wanting to buy a new board half way through the season when you realize the broadcast is a log.
                Agreed, but that log will get more people into the sport than a phase five, I always keep it on the boat and everyone from all ages gets up on it the first or second try

And those smiles are forever

Comment

Red, you can surf pretty well with just stock ballast. if youre not sure if youll like it (you will) then you can get away with stock for the time being. dont add any to the front, and just add to the rear corner youre surfing on. run about 10.4 and the taps on 2.

you will want more weight as you get better though. but for now give it a try with stock.

Comment

I found with no weight up front the wave was to short, had to ride to close to the boat. I usually ran around 11.4 and taps 2 or 3.

Comment

Awesome. A ton of suggestions.

I think I will spend a little more on the board and get a Ronix. I love Ronix's wakeboards and I'm sure the wakesurfs are just as good.

I will try the stock ballasts first and see if thats enough. More than likely I'll end up getting the 900lb bags that you were talking about before the summer is up.

Thank you for all the help.

Comment

Working...
                      X