Surfing help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surfing help

I am new to surfing and would like some suggestions on board selection. I am 5'6" and about 175 LBS. I have a 04 24V. I am a little confused on length of the board I need. My 24V does not have a ballast system at this time, just the taps2 system. I have surfed once and loved it but at this time I would like a price concious option (will not break the bank).

board selection will come down to personal tastes. Do you have buddies you can try or demo boards from? 175 isn't heavy for wakesurfing so you can probably surf about anything. The 24v is a sweet surf boat but you will need to buy a fat sac and a pump to really get the wave going.
    Build thread: http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?14787-Duffy-s-2005-24v-wakesurfing-mod-thread&highlight=duffys+24v

Comment

Tons of different options and opinions. I know that many, myself included, have started with a Hyperlite Broadcast or similar board.

Comment

Originally posted by skippabcool View Post
        Tons of different options and opinions. I know that many, myself included, have started with a Hyperlite Broadcast or similar board.
        X2

Comment

I recommend not going too short (under 4'-6") for a first board. I also feel the cheap foam boards are not worth the money. Get a board that is described as fast if you are running with little or no weight this will help keep you in the pocket. Good Luck!

Comment

I started on a Hyperlite broadcast too. Got ti before I even got the boat. I got lucky and boards came with the boat. Went with Inland surfer and Ronix boards. Can't remember the modles. But they are better than the broadcast after learning.

Here is the deal too. All boards are different and you will over time accumulate many different kinds. You will end up with a quiver of boards each with a different characturistic. This is also because you will be bringing friends and may not want them riding your favorite.

As knochels said 4' 6" is a starting area. Do not go shrter. Search your local ads. Craig's list and such and you may find a great deal on one and then go from there. Be sure to get a surf style first and then get a skim style. You will learns faster that way. If you are eying one ask here for feedback about it. Good luck and you will have a blast.
            Wake Up or Stay On Shore!

Comment

I started on the Hyperlite Broadcast 5.6 and everyone else that has come on board and wanted to surf has got up on it the first day also. From 70lb kids to adults, usually their first 2-3 attempts. it is very stable and forgiving but you will be wanting a new board soon

It is a great boat board for beginner’s
              "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail" John Wooden- Rest in Peace

Comment

x...what are we at now?5? 6? on the Broadcast. It still makes it to the lake with us every weekend just because anyone can ride it. I've thought a lot of people to surf with that thing. They are reasonably cheap, fairly tough, somewhat fast (for a pop out) and easy to ride. If you can find one of the old gen1 green ones (called the 5'6" Landlock), that's the one to get. Same basic shape but different construction and rail design. I feel they are much faster than the 5'6" Broadcast. I've ridden both, just not behind the same boat but, the Broadcast felt a little more draggy and unresponsive. The old Landlock was a faster design with its full length hard rails and, while not being the most responsive board in the world, when you point it down the line, it goes. I have mine set up with a pair of Hyperlite 1.1 A-wing fins (just wakeboard fins) and that made it even faster. The big plastic surf style fins are not set up in a way that generates any type of speed. The are huge and make the board very stable but, they realy just cause a ton of drag. Good for learning not good for progressing.
                Last edited by NICKYPOO; 02-14-2012, 03:24 PM.
                You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

I recommend used, you will progress past a hyperlite board fast! That way once you get a feel for your style you can spend your money on a better board.
                  Build thread: http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?14787-Duffy-s-2005-24v-wakesurfing-mod-thread&highlight=duffys+24v

Comment

Getting some ballast is going to be hugely important. You've got a big boat and getting it to list to the side you want to surf is going to require a lot of weight. Getting this accomplished will truly get you to a point where you can make some sort of selection on a board you actually like. With zero ballast, you are going to strugle to keep up with the boat. Speed is going to be your main need in a board. As duffy said, used is going to be the way to go.

Comment

This one.

http://www.wakeworld.com/products/in...detail&p=54812

Certainly not the most amazing board in the world but, its a good place to start.

Comment

Im about the same size 5'10" and 170 and I really liked the ronix coal.. good amount of float and with all the fins in it tracks well and is pretty fast
                        Here's to swimming with bow-legged women

Comment

I've got a broadcast 4'9 and the 5'6 and love them for beginners. But I'm in the market for a better faster board this year. Time to start progressing.

Comment

Originally posted by MTtigekid View Post
                            Im about the same size 5'10" and 170 and I really liked the ronix coal.. good amount of float and with all the fins in it tracks well and is pretty fast
                            Funny you mention the Ronix Koal. I was just about to ask if anyone one here rides one as I am about to pull the trigger on Ebay for one. I currently ride a 2007 IS yellow loogie and I think I need something longer. The loogie is 4'6" and the koal is 5'6". Will this board be faster than the IS?? I am around 5'11 and weigh about 200lbs so I figure the longer the better.

Comment

I hear they actually ride pretty nice. However, I've also heard the are extremely fragile. I've held one in my hands at a local shop and it was beat to hell just from being put in the rack. All sorts of dents and dings. I carefully put it back and tip toed away.

Comment

Working...
                              X