No announcement yet.

From the Lake to the Ocean!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LOL! Wasn't sure if there was another lap pool around...they have a nice pool, used it when I trained for a triathlon since I work just behind Target in Loveland.

Comment

Ocean surfing is the most difficult sport I've ever done, but most rewarding. You can be in shape, but surfing is a whole different ball game. Usually completely different muscles are used in different ways. I've been to the gym maybe 20 times in my life, but I could stay out in the water longer than a lot of friends that worked out daily but only surfed once a month. So like Timmy said, go to the pool and swim as much as you can. Like any sport when you start to fatigue nothing goes properly, so being in shape is important.

Rent a long board, 9'-6" is a very very common size that will be perfect. You are not going to be able to do anything other than stand for the first year of surfing, so you might as well grab a long board and stand your first day. I don't know where you are going, but there is a lot of beach, so please do not go out where there are a lot of people. Walk down the beach and find a section where it is less crowded. Also watch the waves if they are breaking top to bottom, life is going to be a little more difficult. Try to find a spot where they are a bit more mushy.

Catching waves (properly) is the single most difficult thing to do. Timing, placement, location, speed, orientation all are variables that need to line up properly. So if its over 2 foot start out catching the white wash until you are comfortable paddling, and standing. Then move out to the open faced waves. Timing is impeccable, it takes years of studying waves to understand what they are going to do and when. So don't be discouraged if it is difficult to catch the open faced waves (It took my GF almost 2 years of surfing before she started to get it...then we moved inland ).

So go out and enjoy the salt water and have fun.

And wave sizes are completely different that what you think...2 foot will be perfect for you. Here's a pic. of me on a 3 foot day just before I quit surfing.

Comment

Oh and use this to check the swell models.
        http://cdip.ucsd.edu/?nav=recent&sub...item=socal_now

Comment

Originally posted by Joeprunc View Post
          Ocean surfing is the most difficult sport I've ever done, but most rewarding.

Catching waves (properly) is the single most difficult thing to do. Timing, placement, location, speed, orientation all are variables that need to line up properly.

Here's a pic. of me on a 3 foot day just before I quit surfing.

Agreed, surfing, definately the most thrilling. Joe, nice pic. Did you pull that off? If so, that's impressive. Maybe you should consider the WCT.

Comment

joeprunc sweet...hardcore rip..damm lookin like Jordy'

You say you want 3-4 ft surf. That's like 5 foot faces...you'll surely take a beating on a log if your a newbie. More like 2 foot rollers..Manhattan Beach maybe is mellower than most spots.

Personally at your size look for a fatter soft railed board anywhere from 9'2" to 9'6". 10 ft. would be a great paddler but a bear to wrestle through the white water in case you get caught inside

Stay 'inside' till it clears out (could be never) and paddle like a hungry lab to catch a wave. Don't drop in and don't act arrogant (I'm sure you won't)

Get in shape..yep real shape. Like BA' cardio..then start eating tons of fish tacos. That's true surfer chow. Oh yeah be like Kelly and go organic. He's like 40 and winning World Championships still..Once again I kid..

Hopefully you'll be surfing a regular break if your regular..and a goofy if your cool like me...sic...hehe I kid. That'll make it easier

Optional>do bong hits with the locals on the beach...haha I said optional and hope not to offend... seriously do any thing to mix in will help
            Last edited by MooseX; 08-26-2011, 12:34 AM.
            my midlife crisis started at puberty and I plan on enjoying it all the way to the end..

Comment

Also I'd highly recommend renting North Shore...classic 80s surf movie.

_______________-

No I didn't pull that, the tail ended up getting away from me, and the nose almost stabbed me in the groin. But I did get a nice 4 picture sequence.
              Last edited by Joeprunc; 08-26-2011, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Nice pic Joe!

Comment

Yeah, that's layin it down Joe!
                  Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

Working...
                  X