Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lakewakes Boards

Anyone know of these boards?

I was looking at either the TWP or a Shred Stixx. I found out about Lakewakes and looked into them. They are more than half the price cheaper. Are the others better or why are they so much more? Where they are cheaper I wondered if they would be a better board to step into next up from the Broadcast.

Any input would be great.

Here is the link to their website - http://lakewakes.com/

Ragboy knows about them. I was looking at them as well, because they make a board that is perfect for my weight(220-230), and it was Ragboy that turned me onto them.

I actually ended up going with a Grindwater Shaka board (last years model). I'm getting a new board cause my IS board was stolen out of my boat along with some other gear. However, the local shop had this Grindwater board in stock and they let me demo it, and after I demoed it I made them an offer on it and they took it. It was a left over 2010 model, and I stole it off of them for $245. The new 2011 model is going in the mid to upper $500s.

After getting my IS stolen I have spent the last month obessing about what board to get next. I jumped right into my IS board cause of everyone telling me IS this... IS that... but this time I read up, looked around, and actually demoed some boards.

Also, the lakeswakes boards can pretty much be customized to your liking.

Good luck in your search!!

Comment

contact jbort... he recently bought one of their boards and he met the guy and got a tour of how they make their boards

Comment

The owner/maker/shaper of Lakewakes is Mark Werbenec and he lives down the road from Atlanta near Conyers Ga in the middle of nowhere (not kidding) and he's a super nice guy. He makes the boards in his garage (yep). I went to buy a board a few weeks ago and had a good visit w Mark. I got a kids board that looked to me to be of very good quality construction. It was fascinating seeing the 3-4 boards in partial construction then seeing them get finished then appear on Facebook with customers or friends riding them. I love that stuff. Check out his Facebook page as he posts frequently.

Now I’m no expert on surf board construction like Surfdad, Ragboy or Big Kahuna but I read through every surf posting on Tigeowners.com plus a few other websites. It looks like to me Mark is the real deal using topnotch materials, with very good craftsmanship. I spent about 60 mins visiting as he described how he shapes the different boards for the riders or particular model design. He showed his basic layout shaping method by measuring and drawing on the blank to get dimensions accurate then doing the shaping work. He showed the use of super light foam core blanks for some models with carbon fiber in different ways to provide strength then covering with resin with final sanding and sealer etc. He had about 5-6 dozen fins of all kinds, multi-colored traction and other cool little touches. I kinda flipped out.

Now his website is basic and not fancy, and I think that’s because he’s super busy and it looks like he does not need a super fancy website since biz is brisk. It looks like based on his FB site he’s selling lots of boards and that being the case its doubtful its junk because folks won’t put up with that for long.

BTW; I currently own and surf a Walker Project Bazooka 5.1 which works great and does a real nice job since I’m bigger guy at 250 at beginner/intermediate level having just figured out wireless a few weeks ago with input from ST68.

My 2 cents, kinda long winded but hope it helps. I’m hoping to get out w Mark sometime but it’s a good 90 min drive from me so we’ll see.

Comment

We have had 3 or 4 of their boards. Mark is a stand up guy, he is cheaper because he does this in his garage and I think he makes very little margin to get his name out. If he takes off, he probably won't be able to afford to keep up those prices. His boards are made with quality materials and last as good as any other. His boards are better performing than any of the big wakeboard company boards and even the grind water stuff I have seen. They don't out perform The Walker Project, or Soulcraft, but a good alternative, due to price. I would say they outperform the Shredstixx production models, but probably not the SS customs.

For bigger guys, like 220-260, the lakewakes 5.2 is a really good board, fun. And it rides smaller than it is. You get the thruster version and when you get better, you pull out the rear fin, and the thing is very responsive. If you watched that 24Ve video we just did, that first guy on regular side was riding our 5.4 LW demo board. The funny thing is that board is actually a mistake, and slower than it should be, which is why it never sold. Yet we use it for new people and its usually faster than anything they are used to. Mike kept catching up to the boat and didn't know how to slow it down, it took him a bit to get used to. So we put the back fin in and it helped and he got the hang of it. He normally rides a CWB ride, which is a SLOW board. He couldn't believe the difference. Also, he never saw a wake that big either.

Here is a video on that 5.2.

One last thing, I don't recommend anything that I don't SEE work myself. When we had a bunch of big guy test riders, they tried inland red woody, TWP Bazookas, and the LakeWakes boards. There were others, but they didn't work. All the riders picked TWP first, then LW and THEN inland. All 3 good boards, but the inland was more of a tank to them. The TWP and LW allowed them to shred.
          http://wake9.com/

Comment

Thanks for all of the input guys.

Comment

update if/when ya do anything.

Comment

I'll say that when/if I buy a Grom board, it'll be the Lakewakes. At only $300 delivered to my door, you can't beat it for a Grom really. I can't justify a $599 board for kids.

Check him out on facebook too. He's posting new boards all the time and he's easy to contact.
                Waiting for another good one!

Comment

In fact one of his most recent posts on FB is a video of a 240# fella riding his 4'7" wide board pretty well...
                  Last edited by Fiveflat; 08-17-2011, 02:10 PM.

Comment

He just put his 2012 55" prototype up for sale on facebook for $200.

Just sayin'

Comment

I should be able to give everyone an update on their 55" wide board in a couple of weeks. It is their prototype board so I should get it next week. Only a couple minor changes plus I will get to use it this year.

Comment

You bought it?

Comment

that was a heckuva deal!

Comment

After looking at over 200 pics of his work with captions, I think I know what I want for Xmas now
                            So this monkey walks into a bar...

Comment

He offered me a Grom board at a HELLUVA price shipping included. But my boy is just in a wakeboarding zone right now, so I'm waiting...

Comment

Working...
                              X