calling all surf guru's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

calling all surf guru's

I have a customer with an 2010 RZ4 with factory pro ballast. He wants to know the best setup for surfing. He is in saltwater wich he claims makes a huge difference. So being I dont surf I told him I would check with a bunch of very helpful surfing peeps and get some answers for him. thanx in advance..KKO

Fill everything up on the surf side, and throw in a 750 or 1100lb vdrive sac in the surf side rear locker. As much weight as you possibly can in the rear corner. When you do the rear corner, fill up so the top bag just starts to fill. This means the bottom tank is full. Then fill the huge 1100 lb sac in that locker instead of the stock one. Try with no front weight, or just surf side. Usually the 24 doesn't like weight in the front, unless you are able to get a ton in the surf rear.

That has been my experience on the rz4 and 24Ve.
    http://wake9.com/

Comment

That's my boat!! Same ballast.
      We have not added any extra sacs, but want to!
      We fill the rear on surf side - have also filled the front, but really don't see toooo much difference.
      Set taps on 3 or 4 - usually 4.
      Put all my peeps on surf side.
      Would like to get our wave a little longer, but we are learning too!
      In these pics we only had driver and 2 others in boat with just the rear weighted. Not bad at all!
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by kko View Post
        I have a customer with an 2010 RZ4 with factory pro ballast. He wants to know the best setup for surfing. He is in saltwater wich he claims makes a huge difference. So being I dont surf I told him I would check with a bunch of very helpful surfing peeps and get some answers for him. thanx in advance..KKO

"The buoyancy of an object floating in water is greater in salt water than in fresh water due to the dissolved salt giving the water a greater density"

Seems that the above could affect the surf wake? Although I have no to data to backup this theory, in my opinion it does seem plausible? It just depends on weather there is a significant difference in the amount of water (Salt vs Fresh) displaced by that size boat?

Comment

Being an RZ4, it will take more to sink and list it. Therefore, the same Pro Ballast setup will have less of an effect in the 24 as it will in a 22 or smaller. To make a really great wake, he needs more weight.
          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I surf in COLD water and it's a huuuge negative dif' in bouyancy. Also hurts more when you fall
            my midlife crisis started at puberty and I plan on enjoying it all the way to the end..

Comment

I ride in salt water almost 100% of the time and fresh water definitely hurts more, it feels more like concrete. Its almost like salt water is aerated. Im not a scientist or anything but the boat feels like it has a bigger wake in salt water.

As for surfing, just fill the sacs on one side, put the people on one side. Also, if you buy a fly high tube sac, fill that and put in on top of the seats and have people sit on top of the sac. With a couple guys the sac is still manageable to move around by lifting and dragging it.

Comment

Dont know about saltwater, but i know that I've experienced in fresh that the more weight in that back corner, the steeper the face of the wave, we did 1900lbs in the back, surfside corner and a 155 lb brick in the front in the walkway on a 21i, and it was a very sweet wave.

I've not gotten a chance to surf behind some of the machines ragboy and wake9.com use but them guys look to know what they are doing. They are real sick if you want to see some good video's and instructions.

Comment

I think Discovery channel should pay a bunch of us(or at least gas money) to do a Myth Busters for them on this subject!

Comment

Originally posted by Dan and Christy View Post
                    I think Discovery channel should pay a bunch of us(or at least gas money) to do a Myth Busters for them on this subject!
                    Maybe they would come to the Mead reunion.

Comment

Originally posted by auburntigegal View Post
                      That's my boat!! Same ballast.
                      We have not added any extra sacs, but want to!
                      We fill the rear on surf side - have also filled the front, but really don't see toooo much difference.
                      Set taps on 3 or 4 - usually 4.
                      Put all my peeps on surf side.
                      Would like to get our wave a little longer, but we are learning too!
                      In these pics we only had driver and 2 others in boat with just the rear weighted. Not bad at all!
                      Nice pics, how old is the young lady on the left?

Comment

Working...
                      X