Ideal Ballast, Taps and speed settings for '11 Z1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ideal Ballast, Taps and speed settings for '11 Z1

Anyone have suggestions for the ideal settings for a 2011 Z1 for wakesurfing (Ballast, Taps and speed). I have the Surf Ballast Options on this boat and still haven't quite perfected the wake. Seems like a small pocket. I figure I may be missing something. Thanks!

Originally posted by porky1 View Post
    Anyone have suggestions for the ideal settings for a 2011 Z1 for wakesurfing (Ballast, Taps and speed). I have the Surf Ballast Options on this boat and still haven't quite perfected the wake. Seems like a small pocket. I figure I may be missing something. Thanks!
    I fill the port fwd tank (leave the starboard empty), both rear tanks, I also have a 750# fat sac on the port side I fill, set TAPS 3-4, at a speed of 10.5. Without the additional fat sac (well worth the money) you might try filling the starboard tank only about half way or even leave it empty.

Comment

Here is where I would start. Now, take with a grain of salt because this is based on a Z1 with the original 900# ballast and not the new Surf/Pro setup.

Ballast: Fill front 100% and rear surf side 100%
      TAPS: 3-5
      Speed: 11-11.5
      Drive straight

I always like to dial the wake in by looks without anyone out there in it first. This gives you a chance to play with speed and TAPS settings with a clean wake and not trying to look around a surfer.

General rules of thumb: (A) Every Time your crew changes, the wake changes, thus speed and TAPS may need to be adjusted. Bottom line, there's no exact setup that works for everyone, just good starting points. Once you see how weight shifts, speed and TAPS changes the wake, you will get used to making those adjustments as your conditions change. (B) Speeding up will lengthen the pocket, slowing down shortens it. Adding bow weight will also lengthen the pocket, no bow weight shortens it. (C) As the pocket lengthens, the height drops and as the pocket is shortened, the height picks up.
      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Chp is dead on, I run the front full, 650 in the port rear and speed10.8 - 11.2, taps at 3-5 depending on crew size back there.

Like he says dial it in without a rider first and inform your crew that they are there for ballast and cannot move until the set is over.
        "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail" John Wooden- Rest in Peace

Comment

I have same options as chpthrl above and set mine up pretty much the same way. It works great for us, then when we get 6+ people in the boat the wake is great1
          Friends don't let friends POWERTURN

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
            Ballast: Fill front 100% and rear surf side 100%
            TAPS: 3-5
            Speed: 11-11.5
            Drive straight
            Great suggestions. I think 11-1.5 might be a little fast if you are not on a glass surf-style board. We run 10.5 on Hyperlight Swell, 11-11.5 on an IS Blue Lake, and 12-12.5 on a TWP F-18. Without regard to the specific speeds (which vary by ballast, boat, and rider), the general tenet holds that you need to go slower with a slower board.

It is amazing the difference a little bit of speed makes. I was having a hard time last weekend coming from far back on the wave at 12.5. Slowed down to 12.2 and all problems were solved -- noticeably easier to catch back up on the wave. Note, I am at the top end of an F-18 that is primarily for my wife so it is not as fast as it is for her. She has no issue at 12.6.

Comment

Working...
            X