Which board to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which board to buy?

Reading through a lot of posts on here it sounds like the 5' 6" Hyperlite Broadcast is a good starter board for the whole family. We will have both men and women riding ranging from 120 lbs up to 220 lbs. All will be fairly new to surfing. My only concern for getting a starter board is that selfishly I will want more right away. I have surfed a couple of times and feel that I will be wanting to do more than just hang out on the wave however I don't want to ruin it for everyone else by getting a more advanced board. Is there a better all in one for beginners and more advanced riders than the Broadcast?

Also what have you seen for the best price on the Broadcast? 2010 any different than 2011 board?

What do I need in terms of a surf rope and any recommendations?

Thanks

I have this rope and love it.
    http://www.evo.com/wakeboard-handles...ombo-2010.aspx
    I'll leave the board recommendations to the experts.

Comment

Thanks for the handle recommendation that's what I'll probably go with. So here is what I have it narrowed down to on boards:

Hyperlite Broadcast
      Inland Surfer Blue Lake
      CWB Tsunami
      CWB Ride

Thoughts on these boards? If the Blue Lake and Broadcast are fairly similar than I don't see paying an extra $300 for the Blue Lake for a starter board.

Comment

We learned on a Broadcast (friend's boat) and bought an IS Blue Lake for our first board on our own boat. The Blue Lake is a great surf style board that is very ridable. Imhop, I think it is a more fun ride than a Broadcast.

I will note that boards like the Broadcast can be easier for a new rider to get up on, perhaps because it is less bouyant than a surf style glass board (ie, easier to get back edge of board down with heels).

Originally posted by jmitchell View Post
        Thanks for the handle recommendation that's what I'll probably go with. So here is what I have it narrowed down to on boards:

Hyperlite Broadcast
        Inland Surfer Blue Lake
        CWB Tsunami
        CWB Ride

Thoughts on these boards? If the Blue Lake and Broadcast are fairly similar than I don't see paying an extra $300 for the Blue Lake for a starter board.

Comment

I'll sell you my CWB Ride for $100. It's in good condition. The Ride is a great board to get pretty much everyone up and riding on. I acquired a new "boat board" and it's just sitting in my basement.

Comment

Thanks Timmy, but I just ordered a Broadcast earlier today. If that doesn't seem to work for us, I will give you a shout.

Thanks to all who chimed in here. I narrowed it to the Blue Lake and the Broadcast, but after talking to some distributors of the two boards I decided that the Blue Lake was just too expensive of a starter board that with multiple users (learners) could potentially get damaged easier than the Broadcast due to its material make-up. Then I'd be set back $600 plus another new board. Also, I just couldn't justify the extra $300. I'm sure I'll be pleased and as I do with Wakeboards, I'll be in the market for another in a year or two.

Comment

I see your boat is a Crownline? Please don't surf that thing. Wait until you have an inboard.
              You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

Nickypoo, yes indeed. Check out the general discussion thread and you can see our new ride!

Comment

Originally posted by jmitchell View Post
                  Nickypoo, yes indeed. Check out the general discussion thread and you can see our new ride!
                  Did you end up buying the white and blue one with the smaller engine?

That was the only one that I could find.

Congrats

Comment

Sorry, now you can check I just posted the new pics. It's a different Z1. Thread titled "Tige Owner...At Last"

Comment

Atta boy! All you need is a nice board. Given the boat colors, I would vote IS Black Pearl. Fun board that just about everyone can ride, fits in a regular rack and will match the boat.
                      You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

Working...
                      X