Stupid question, how do you start out surfing and skating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stupid question, how do you start out surfing and skating

I just picked up a wakeskate and a surf board to add to the list of things to do behind the boat. I have gotten pretty proficient on everything else out there including wakebaord, hydrofoil, kneeboard, combo and slalom skis, but starting out on a skate an a surf board is something I have never even seen. I have a few ideas that may work but dont want to look stupid if I am wrong! A good place to set the PP for each might help also!
    Thanks in advance!
    Ray

I don't wakeskate but we do surf from time to time.
    The best way I was taught was to sit in the water and lay the board flat on the water. Put your heels on the surfboard about shoulder width apart slightly to the rear of the board.

We used about a 12' rope and handle. Have the driver put the boat in gear and gradually give it throttle. The board should push up to your feet and then as the boat goes faster just stand up like a wakeboard and turn the surfboard. It seemed easier when we first started to surf with our chest facing the wake. Then gradually pull yourself closer to the boat and try to find the sweet spot where the rope goes slack in your hands.

I am sure ther are other ways to do it, this was just one way that was easy for us to learn.
    I would assume wakeskating would be very similar just with a smaller board.

Comment

That's pretty much it. We have some that like to hold the board until the driver puts the boat in gear. Once you get it that way, you can dry start off the deck. I can now just start on the swim deck with all the weight on my front foot and then the driver starts and put your weight on your back foot. It took a few tries before getting it this way. I finally nailed it one day this spring at a local high elevation lake that was still at 56', I was really motivated that day. Good luck, surfing is a great rough water activity. As for wake skaking haven't gotten sold on that yet, maybe the kids will get excited about it at some time.
      My dad always said "Stupid Hurts". He's yet to be proven wrong, but for some reason I keep trying.

Comment

The skate is the basically the same as the surfboard. I do happen to use one more thing that was not mentioned. It's one more step in the communication from rider to driver. I use it for both. With the board flat on the water and your feet on the board where you want them, tell the driver "IN GEAR". The driver puts the boat in gear but no throttle and reponds with an audible "GEAR" to the rider. Once you feel the pull from the boat push your heels down in order to "flip" the board up. Once it is up it will stay up, then you can say "HIT IT". This is where the two differ. For surfing you want to roll onto the throttle nice and easy. Not slow, just easy. You've got a lot of surface area with a surfboard and you don't need to yank the rider out. It is opposite with the skate. They are generally very small which really makes them plow before they get up on plane. Hammer down. As for speeds, I generally surf between 13 and 15 given the conditions. I skate around 22 to 25 given the conditions. That should get you going untill you get comfortable with your own system.

Wing Nut,

Are you doing the teak start without the rope yet. If not try it. Chicks dig it.
        You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

Wakesurfing 101

Here is one method shown on video from WaterSki Magazine. Scroll down to see Wakesurfing 101. Maybe seeing it will help.

WaterSki Mag Videos
          Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

For wakeskating I found that starting just like a wakeboard works. Have the board kinda floating on the water with your feet resting on the board, as soon as the driver gives some gas the board immediately sucks up to your feet and you are off and running.
            Now for the life of me, I can't seem to be able to do any "tricks" once I'm up, very limited on what I can do.
            I have found that if you cut hard like on a wakeboard, you can get some big air and do a flip, obviously without landing on the board, and letting go of the rope.

Good luck,

Steve

Comment

Make sure you have the right kinda rope for wakesurfing. It's pretty easy to have the handle wrap around one of your limbs. The injuries can be pretty serious when you fall with a rope wrapped around your arm or leg. We ended up cutting the metal handle from an old Masterline braided wakeboard handle. So you end up holding onto the braided part or the foam rubber cover for the rope. However, it never wraps around a limb.

You can also buy ropes, but I haven't found anyone who carries them (even though they're made).

I'll try and post a picture next time I have my boat out.
              Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

We also use an old wakeboard handle and line. It has that 5' braided section which makes it nice for holding on to. My uncle learned that lesson this year. He got his finger wrapped up in the rope and it nearly tore the thing off. He is lucky to still have it.
                You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

Working...
                X