New to wakesurfing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to wakesurfing

I have a 2009 22Ve with no ballast. We want to try wakesurfing to see if it is something we want to make a bigger investment in. We are already planning on adding fae to the boat this year. The people who will be surfing most weigh between 160-180 lbs, but we have people from 70-220 lbs. I am looking at buying the CWB Ride board, mainly because I saw Ragboy use it in a video. So my main questions are 1) will we be able to surf at all with no ballast? 2) What is a good beginner board for a no ballast system? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

It will be pretty tough to surf with no ballast - you can supplement the lack of ballast with more people. So if you typically have 5-6 people in the boat then you position them all in the rear corner while surfing. You can also pick up some manual fat sacs for pretty cheap $200-300. I have a tsunami pump and 400 lb bag I will part with (recently plumbed all my bags) - PM if you are interested.

Also the FAE is a nice to have while surfing - ballast are almost a must have. As for a board - stick with a 5'4" or larger given the spread in weight you have described. Hyperlite makes a good entry board - I have never ridden the CWB.

Comment

i have surfed a 22i no ballast and 2 people surf side, its doable. use an obrien alias 5'0 and riders were form 170-220 lbs. you will want to upgrade quickly though. we slam a friends x25 with 700+ surf side corner, 800 under seat surf side and 500 in the cetner and still want to add more... you can never get a wave big enough

also the cwb is good board to learn on it's what i learned on behind an x star and i picked it up relatively quick

Comment

Hyperlyte 5'6" Broadcast has been a good beginner board a lot of people. I still have riders in my crew who use it and I will even jump on it every once in a while just for the hell of it.
        You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

Our experience has been surfing on 22Ve w no ballast is kinda lousy unless lots of people are onboard to act as ballast. Last yr we would use 500-1000 lbs of ballast plus people via manual fill fatsacs. This yr expanding to 1000-1100 lbs via custom ballast plus one manual bag as fallback when fewer folks are onboard. Also depends on size of the surfer and board too. I'm big guy and need bigger wave so thats a factor. Its pretty easy to get started and kinda cheap for around $200-$325 with one fatsac and pump via manual fill. Manual fill means the skipper places fatsac in the rear locker or on the seat then attaches a pump like a Tsunami that plugs into the 12V socket and 7-10 min later all done and ready to go. Others will chime in and look for Chpthril to comment - he's one of several experts and can sell a "starter kit". U might also look in the wakesurf forum for more info.

Comment

We have the CWB Tsunami, and it works well for just about everybody from 75lbs to 200lbs. Some type of ballast will definitely help you free ride much easier. We had the 900lb ballast package on our 09 RZ2 and eventually upgraded to the FAE and 2 additional V drive custom fat sac cubes from chpthrl that weigh about 510lb each. Before we did the final upgrade, we bought 2 standard 400lb manual fill fat sacs with tsunami pumps. we still pull them out and use them if we don't have enough peeps in the boat. Just put them on floor and the back seat. Typically we run with about 1100-1200 lbs in the back port corner total. That would be people and ballast combined at about 10.5mph and taps about 3-4, works good for free riding, etc.. also changed my prop to an ACME 1235.
            Where are you located? Maybe if you are close to a TO member that surfs they can take you out for a trial at wakesurfing to see if you like it?

Comment

We surf with about 2200lbs =) makes for a killer ride
              www.1320diesel.com Home of the Fastest Diesels!
              http://youtu.be/dEDdM0Y3IGs?hd=1

Comment

Originally posted by NICKYPOO View Post
                Hyperlyte 5'6" Broadcast has been a good beginner board a lot of people. I still have riders in my crew who use it and I will even jump on it every once in a while just for the hell of it.
                X2 on the 5' 6" broadcast, everyone who has tried it has got up on it from my 9YO & up
                "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail" John Wooden- Rest in Peace

Comment

Same here on the Broadcast. Everyone who tries it gets up and learns to stay up. All different weights, too. Just kind of slow for the more advanced riders.

Comment

Sounds like the broadcast is a good bet and I will have to add some weight to the boat. Thanks for all the help! Kerlee, I live in Dayton, OH and would love to try it out if someone else is in the area.

Comment

I have a CWB Tsunami that I used all last year.

If you are interested, I'll sell it... I'm moving to a Walker Project board this summer. PM me if interested.

I weigh 200lbs and I surfed on it just fine.
                      Waiting for another good one!

Comment

scr120:

Wallacmc lives in cincy and he's on here alot. U might give a shout via personal message (pm) to see about a ride-along.

Comment

Originally posted by jbort View Post
                          scr120:

Wallacmc lives in cincy and he's on here alot. U might give a shout via personal message (pm) to see about a ride-along.
                          Great call jbort. It's unfortunate that I'm in the middle of three weeks of torture in night school or I would use it as a great opportunity to both take scr120 for a ride, shred it up, and try out my new custom sac! But then, scr120 would already be hooked on the custom sac too. Not only that, I have a broadcast 5'6" that I might be willing to part with as well, since I just got a new board to try out too. scr120, hit me up and I can show you how not good of a surfer I am but also how much fun it is at the same time. There are times where my boat lives in Tenn. at Norris lake, but other times it will be somewhere in Cincinnati and being used at Caesar Creek.

Comment

Oh, and one other thing...you need ballast, not because you really have to have, but because you'll always want that wave bigger. You will stare at that big rear locker thinking, "hmm, I wonder what this boat would be like with chpthril's custom sac in here???" I'm predicting in the end that you will Have chp hook you up with a custom sac with two tsunamis filling that bad boy up simultaneously and a really nice wave to show for it. Then, you will love it so much in the future that you will upgrade to a 2013 RZ2 with Tigetouch and integrated ballast with a tower camera and whatever other crazy things they come up with between now and then.

Comment

I put a 1100 lib sumosac in the rear locker then another one in under the seat on the surf side. Can't fill it up all the way but still a sick wake without having bags on the seats!(lame)
                              I have a bow sac that holds about 900 labs. Speed is everything, for bigger riders you have to slow down and steepen the face of the wake with taps at 7-8. Anything over 10.5 is speeding, not surfing.
                              More weight the better! 08 22VE. FAE Is a must!!

Comment

Working...
                              X