My newest creation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My newest creation

Rohacell skinned, basswood railed and some cool looking paint. I really like the way the grey made it look like a drop shadow. I'm hoping the links work, otherwise I'll post them inline.

Buy my kid's board! http://www.flyboywakesurf.com

Well two out of three isn't bad! That second picture of the tail has that grey'ish below the black that I though was cool, makes it look like the black is hovering above the white.

Comment

Looks pretty cool!

Comment

That is most cool
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

@surfdad- how about I let you keep my board that you fixed and you let me have that one

Thanks for fixing my board BTW. Let me know what I owe you for that.

Comment

Thanks guys! I really like that grey part. It's an old technique, I think that Dennis turned me on to it. I sprayed the board with black paint and then after that dried, the pattern was made with liquid dish soap I squirted it from the bottle I started spraying the white and the grey was created as the dish soap sort of oozed down the board. After the white dried, I just hosed the soap off and viola!

@ Majestic. Thanks for the compliment! Your graphics are sweet, Mike did a great job with that. You don't owe me anything. I used some Resin Research epoxy that was left over from THIS project and some fiberglass off the roll. That was a nasty rail split. Was that a hit to the head or anything? I also touched up what looked like some sandthru's on the other rail.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfdad View Post
              @ Majestic. Thanks for the compliment! Your graphics are sweet, Mike did a great job with that. You don't owe me anything. I used some Resin Research epoxy that was left over from THIS project and some fiberglass off the roll. That was a nasty rail split. Was that a hit to the head or anything? I also touched up what looked like some sandthru's on the other rail.

Cool looking design.

Best of all TO's rock

Comment

Originally posted by Surfdad View Post
                Thanks guys! I really like that grey part. It's an old technique, I think that Dennis turned me on to it. I sprayed the board with black paint and then after that dried, the pattern was made with liquid dish soap I squirted it from the bottle I started spraying the white and the grey was created as the dish soap sort of oozed down the board. After the white dried, I just hosed the soap off and viola!

Thanks surfdad I sure appreciate that I'm not sure how it happened but my guess it was an elbow or a knee. Maybe I could offer that as a suggested topic on the Flyboy blog. How to repair damage? That's the only thing I don't like about these expensive boards and I'm sure it won't be the last time for me. I have one more question if I could: can you suggest the best way to travel by plane with a board to avoid damage? I will need to come home from the west coast open with my board not getting damage by some stoner baggage handler.

Comment

Incredible paint job - nice work.

Comment

Nice surfdad. I like the technique on that paintjob. Kinda reminds me of the Walzer.
                    You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

Thanks guys.

@ Nickypoo, it is very similar to the resin swirl on the Walzers.

Comment

@ Majestic...sorry I missed your traveling question! We use a Santa Monica hard case, but the guy who made those died and I haven't seen anything similar since.

Before I got the hard case, I used a soft case - lovingly referred to as a coffin. You'll appreciate some wheels on the bottom after the first rental car pick up

If you are going to pack it in a soft case, I would recommend that you wrap the board in bubble wrap before putting it in the case. I bring an extra roll of scotch tape to tape it all back up on the return flight.

I don't think you'll have much trouble with breakage, but the dents can be severe from rough handling.

Comment

ok where can I learn to make me a wake surf board? I assume its very hard and not good for a beginner to tackle?

Comment

@ petrey10,

It really isn't all that hard, but like anything that relies on a "person" to manufacture it, the first efforts tend to be labors of love rather than shining examples of craftmanship. My first boards were just flat ugly, but they really rode very well, all things considered.

One of the best online resources is Surfer Steve he talks about making your first surfboard. Same dealio, just larger

John Carper of JC Surfboards did the ultimate shaping video I think it's called Shaping 101 with John Carper. I liked that because I could just veg and watch rather than having to read

Greg Loher, who owns Resin Research Epoxy, did a similar video series that details working with Epoxy. That's a worthwhile investment also. I think it's called Epoxy 101 with Greg Loehr.

Another great site is Swaylocks.com. Tons of discussion on shaping and making

For the most part, you can make a wakesurf board in your garage that rides every bit as well as anything you can buy.

Comment

It was a fun ride!
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X