Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wake Surf Inquiry - prop rotation a factor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wake Surf Inquiry - prop rotation a factor?

I'm wondering if anybody has any view on whether the direction of prop rotation might cause water flow away from the boat? Thia is a leftover inquiry from last season that I'm finally catching up with. A good buddy of ours is a goofy rider and is pretty good as he grew up in fl ocean surfing. He uses Inland Surfer Blue Lake and really likes that board but noticed on our boat the feeling that water flow was causing him to be pushed away from the boat when riding goofy. Does this make sense? Anybody have similar experience? Could prop wash be causing some current? When we ride on the regular side we don't seem to feel anything like that but we are still learning about this activity. Our buddy loves the wake cause its huge but it feels weird.

We have 07 22Ve w factory prop.

Any views?

On the Tige 22Ve, I can say that the goofy side is a tad cleaner then the regular. IMO, not enough to be a factor.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Here is my view on it, On our boat the regular side is way cleaner than the goofy side, even when with an 1100# almost full, everyone squished on that side and an extra 350# and 150# up front.

something is different, and the hull should be symmetrical, so what is the only changing factor? Has to be prop rotation. its not a huge difference, but the difference is there and im convinced its due to prop rotation.

Lots of guys behind centurions will get different trannys to run a better goofy wave and end up having the same problem on the regular side.
      just imagine that much water spinning, it will have some effect on the wave.
      Joey - Red 20V Riders Edition

Comment

I concur. The prop rotation is "A" factor, but it isn't "the only" factor. I know that the Centurion folks have a right surf option which involves a counter rotating transmission. I think that most boats tend to favor one side or the other when surfing. I know that on my old 23V when I changed the pitch, the darkside wake got noticeably worse. I would think that the prop itself may be a factor also.
        Buy my kid's board! http://www.flyboywakesurf.com

Comment

^^^ What prop did you have and what prop did you go with? Logic tells me that a slipping prop would have a negative impact on the wake and switching to a prop with better "bite" such as more pitch and cup, would clean up the wake. Practical application may prove otherwise.
          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

That was exactly what I thought, but it seemed that it caused the boat to "rotate" more away from the darkside wake. In order to achieve the same clean face, I had to add an extra 300 pounds of ballast in the back with the lower pitched prop. I can't remember which prop I switched to and the boat is for sale at Cal Marine, so I can't get to it to tell you. I'm sorry 'bro!
            Buy my kid's board! http://www.flyboywakesurf.com

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
              ^^^ What prop did you have and what prop did you go with? Logic tells me that a slipping prop would have a negative impact on the wake and switching to a prop with better "bite" such as more pitch and cup, would clean up the wake. Practical application may prove otherwise.
              Im not sure how much difference prop pitch would make, but this summer i think i might need to talk to you about getting a new one and we can do an experiment!!!

I actually got to learn a little bit about cavitation, basically just happens because of the extreme drop in pressure behind the propeller, so a shallower pitch should cause less pressure drop behind the propeller causing less cavitation, which would mean less bubbles. So I guess it would clean up the wake in the sense that there would be less bubbles in it! but the exhaust is also there...so tige should get a side swipe exhaust or the FAE from the factory then it would be super clean
              Joey - Red 20V Riders Edition

Comment

Mike, I understand your thinking on better bite should clean up the wake, if the prop was pulling the boat through the water this would most definitely be the case. However Since the Prop will push and "propell" the boat through the water it is pushing more water towards the wake. Either way I couldnt tell you for sure.
                2001 Tige 21V Fresh Air Exhaust, ballast, loud stereo, blue v drive, ACME 1235 prop Kneeboarding, Surfing, and having fun!

Comment

Working...
                X