Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grindwater vs Jimmy Styks your thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grindwater vs Jimmy Styks your thoughts?

I was sent a picture of a factory in China that manufactures boards for a bunch of different brands. One is Jimmy Styks and as I was looking over their website I saw that they have an exact duplicate of some of the Grindwater wakesurfers. Mostly likely they manufacture for both brands. The Jimmy Styks seem to be about $30 or so cheaper than Grindwater. If you knew that both brands were manufactured at the same facility, and seem to be the same size, shape, etc and the Styks brand is $30 cheaper which I think is about 10%, which would you choose IF you were sold on that one shape.

Would you pay 10% more for the Grandwater/Shapiro name or is the price difference enough to sway you to the Styks?
    Attached Files
    Buy my kid's board! http://www.flyboywakesurf.com

For those boards, I would not pay an extra $30 and I would go with the Styks board if all else was equal.

However, I would pay an extra $30 for say an Inland Surfer, Shred Stixx, or The Walker Project brand over a no-name brand.

10% savings on higher end boards is questionable as it would be more like $60-$80 in savings. In reality, there would be other differences (fins, traction, paint design, color, etc that would be a factor in deciding to pay an extra 10% for the brand)

Comment

Dang, sharp eyes Surfdad!

Comment

Thanks jdj06c. I'm with you at some point, boards are commodities, like flour. If they are identical, $30 is $30.

@ Wallacmc - that was quite the surprize to me. I was wondering if Darin got a surprize too? Not sure if his shape was licensed TO the factory in China or FROM the factory in China or if they just felt it was ok to "borrow" it.

I've heard cautionary tales about doing business overseas because it's hard to retain your interests in products. I do believe that Grindwater was using a shaper in the Florida area up until last year. Not sure where the V-star shape came from though.
        Buy my kid's board! http://www.flyboywakesurf.com

Comment

sidenote: I know that most of us are not fans of a ton of tubing, but I can certify that Grindwater makes and awesome tube capable of high performance and scary fast whips. I had to buy one for guests that don't ski, board or surf, and I'm glad I picked theirs.

Comment

Has any one rode either of these Brands of boards? And what are your thoughts on them if so?
            "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail" John Wooden- Rest in Peace

Comment

Originally posted by Iwndr View Post
              Has any one rode either of these Brands of boards? And what are your thoughts on them if so?
              I'm sending you a PM Dr about this.
              The luck is gone, the brain is shot, but the liquor we still got.

Comment

To Wallacmc:
                which grindwater tube - we need to replace ours and tired of cheap junk that croaks after one summer.

Comment

Working...
                X