Anyone ridden Triple X boards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone ridden Triple X boards?

Selling on eBay and at a reasonable price. Anyone ridden one? Any different than the Hyperlite we have now? Wanting to get a quicker board for my 6'1", 220# son who is getting much better at this (college athlete so he is good at most anything, takes the rest of us a little longer). Suggestions welcome. Should I try something like this or just keep saving. We are new at the surfing game but everyone loves it. Thanks

I was in the same position as you last year. We had a hyperlite and I got a triple x and my wife got a green logey (thanks again Ragboy). We are now selling the hyperlite as there is no comparison.The triple x is way easier to ride ropeless and do some carving.we are beginners so that is what holds us back not the board.I am 6 feet and 225lbs. We are from Canada so dont get out anywhere near as much as we would like.There are lots of guys here that know way more than me. There are lots of surf boards out there. The advice I got from people on this site is buy a board from a company that makes surf boards not wake boards. The advice was great and we really like our new boards.Even beginners use the triple x and learn very easily.Its not the highest end board but it is sure a good one on our boat.Would not hesitate to get one.Hope that helps

Comment

which Hyperlite? We have a Landlock which is a good beginner board and thats about it. I use Walker Project Bazooka (5.1) and really like it. Much better board and surf style which I prefer. I weigh 250 at 5'9" and low 50's age so I'm on the heavy side but the Bazooka does a nice job. Vastly better board and it should be cause it costs lots more ($500-700 range) so I encourage saving but at the same time its tough to try out boards unless you hit a specail event where there's lots of boards to check out. A buddy of mine got the Bazooka and I liked it. You will get lots of feedback and advice here which is good stuff. I'm still borderline intermediate level and expect to progress this summer. I wish I had gone with a better board when starting out but thats learning. By now you have figured out youngsters make progress alot faster which is lots of fun so a good board for them is suggested. There's more info in th ewakesurf forum. Have fun.

Comment

We have the Hyperlite Broadcast. Where does it rate? Honestly, looking at the Triple x because of cost. Also saw an interesting board on eBay called the Obeche. Made from solid wood. I am a sucker for the wood look, must have been because of the old Western Wood ski I had. Went to their website and it looks like they started out just making surfboards. Finless, looks interesting for only 250.00 or so. Anyone heard of these?

Comment

I recommend sending out the batsignal for Surfdad. That is want I do in situations like this. I have the Hyperlite Broadcast, too, and trust me, I can't get a new one quick enough. I think I have my sights set on a Inland Blue Lake. I'm 6'0" 250, and I was thinking Red Woody, but I finally got to spend significant time on one last summer and found it very difficult to turn and cut with (maybe because of width?) so I'm gonna go with the slightly smaller Blue Lake.

Calling Surfdad:
          Attached Files

Comment

Did you call for Surfdad commissioner? Wallacmc, you are so funny.

Triple X is maininly an importer of chinese manufacturered boards. They have a full line of surf, skim, sup and wakesurfers.

They sell 3 wakesurfers, a skim style board I believe they call the composite or the composite icon. These are almost a 100% knock off of the P5's of the same size. The construction is better than P5's in that XXX uses epoxy where as P5 uses polyester resin. I've held them and ridden them and the "fit and finish" is less good than a P5, but you have to look hard. Otherwise, it's a P5 for cheap.

The other two boards they sell are the Slasher and the Slayer. The Slasher is a chinese import, Polyester Resin over Polyurethane. Solid construction and it's a good board. Not great, but world better than most wakeboard company boards. The Slayer is shaped in Florida. The call it hand shaped, but it's machine shaped and some runs a sanding block over it. They use pro box boxes which most folks slide FCS fins in. It's a quad, which I'm not a big fan of, but some folks like it. The Slayer comes in a 4'8" and a 5'0" or did in 2010.

The Slayer also comes in an fabric option for Innegra. Innegra
            is a ballistic fabric that is super stiff and strong. It's not much lighter because it typically comes in a 4 oz weight and requires a 4 oz eglass covering. However, it's cool, if nothing else.

The Slaysher came in those two sizes plus a 5'6". I'm not sure what folks are looking at or riding, but I'd have no problem with giving a thumbs up on any of the boards, so long as they were properly sized.
            Buy my kid's board! http://www.flyboywakesurf.com

Comment

Thanks surfdad, just the info needed. What size skim for the 6 foot 200+ guys in the group. Also what size for the gals. Or we could just leave them on the broadcast!

Comment

I have the Slasher and its a good board to learn on and a good cruising board but the board has no rocker in the tail so its not a very good board to get air on and not good for someone wanting to progress in the sport but its great for those that just want to cruise! I don't ride it anymore but my Wife does and I teach everyone on that board.

The older model had small 1 & 1/2 inch wakeboard fins on them. If you get a older model, I recommend putting longer surf fins on it like the Ronix 3.5" surf fins or other long surf fins you can find with the two hole wakeboard style configuration. I put 4.5" hyperlite landlock fins on it which they don't make anymore. The longer fins help a lot to stay in the pocket.

Comment

@ laserfish. You're welcome. The Composite or Composite Icon is their skim style board. You bigger guys, I think, have a stance issue that messes with you. You might have a solid rippable wake and can ride smaller'ish boards, but being 6 foot tall, you wind up with a wider stance and that "typically" requires a longer board. That XXX Icon comes in a 58" board, which is, I believe, their longest board in that shape. I have to be honest, I'm hesitant to recommend that length unless your stance is a bit narrow.

The broadcast is slow, but where do you normally stand on that board? Are you somewhat forward and does your stance feel narrower than you are naturally comfortable with?

Do we have any other 6 footers that are on that 58" XXX Icon?
                  Buy my kid's board! http://www.flyboywakesurf.com

Comment

Thread Resurrection

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I just won this auction last night (I assume from the same seller laserfish mentioned above). Any thoughts from the crowd??? Has anyone ridden this specific board??? I'm thinking I might be a tad heavy for it right now, but that will help motivate me on this diet I keep failing to get into, and I plan on having a much bigger and badder wave this year by increasing about 800 lbs in the corner. Thanks Surfdad for the info. I hope it works out. My wife and mother-in-law are pumped that the board matches the colors of our black and red RZ2.

Comment

I have the older Slasher - see comment above. The new one which you got has the FCS fins which is sweet. With the 3 fins on there, it is a very stable board and easy to stay in the pocket. Removing the center fin will help loosen it up

Comment

Will removing the center fin slow the board down or make it less explosive? That being said, I'm generally not an "explosive" person at my weight in the first place.

Comment

I found removing the center fin makes the board more aggressive, quicker and looser...so all around a better ride and much more lively. The center fin seems to make the board drag and it makes it more difficult to kick/push the tail and get any air off the wake. However, if you just want to cruise, the center fin is good for that. It is also good for beginners and it much more stable.

Comment

I just got the board yesterday after winning the ebay auction. They included and nice sock for the board. It looks great and will certainly be an upgrade. I can't wait to get it out! Pictures to follow.

Comment

I got a Ronix One Skimmer and I LOVE IT!
                              www.1320diesel.com Home of the Fastest Diesels!
                              http://youtu.be/dEDdM0Y3IGs?hd=1

Comment

Working...
                              X