can you surf w/o ballast?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can you surf w/o ballast?

I am just starting to get my daughter into watersports, we bought a 2001 21v riders ed.

I would like to limit our investment as we try new things, and am hopeful we can try surfing without ballast.

all opinions appreciated, thanks,, mike

Sure, but its not so easy. If you buy a new tige with the surf or pro ballast system, it makes a very good surf wake, so you wouldn't have to buy anything else.
    http://wake9.com/

Comment

I would guess your daughter would be able to surf with no added ballast and just a few peeps, but ballast makes for a much better ride, especially as the kills go up and riders get larger (adults).

A sac and pumps can be had for >$300.
      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

So here is a great example. Here is a slideshow of our first wakesurf session, no ballast.

And here we are, on the 2010 Tige RZ2, with STOCK pro system.

Comment

mikes, I have a '99 21V riders edition and with only a couple adults piled in the back port corner I was able to surf without any ballast. I could only cruise and couldn't even think about cutting the wave up, but it was done. I would imagine a lighter surfer (I'm 200lbs) would have an even easier time.
          The 21V has a great wake and you'll see that even as little as 300lbs in the port locker makes a huge difference. Good luck. I hope to take some pics this weekend.
          Waiting for another good one!

Comment

Yes, the smaller the boat, the less weight needed.

Comment

It can be done no problem. Just work on getting a good clean wake. Put everything and every body on one side, taps on 8, speed at 10 and adjust taps and speed from there. in small increments. The pocket is going to be small but, when the boat is set right, it will have a beautiful shape. That being said, a sac would go a long way to making it a lot more fun. Well worth it.

Board choice will make a huge difference as well. Search the surf threads for "boards" and it will help you form some general ideas.
              You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

Inland Surfer Blue Lake would be a good board for a small wake, but it is a little hard to turn for lighter folks, but it will get you up (sts) and let you cruise.
                2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
                2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

We just did it again last night. My son was taking a break from wakeboarding(we don't add ballast for him, he's only 8) and it was just my nephew (15yrs) my son (8yrs) and me in the boat. I was driving, my 50lbs son was sitting in the port corner and my 105lbs nephew surfed!

Ragboy will like this, my 8 yr old finally decided that he will get up once and for all. My nephew took the pic and only got one right when he got up, so you can't see the wake unfortunately...

IMG_0885.jpg
                  Waiting for another good one!

Comment

As NickyPoo said; I do not have any ballast and can free ride everytime with 125 ibbs person in starboard corner and wife driving (cannot/will not post her weight).

Comment

Working...
                    X