Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wake question/help please

Hello,

I'm new to surfing but getting the bug quickly. It's a nice change from wakeboarding and something fun to do in the middle of the day when the water is a bit rough.

So here is my current question. I've got a Z1 with no hard tanks. I've got a pair of vdrive sacks and a 750 sack. I'm having trouble getting the wake to "push" the rider. I don't know the technical term but "push" is what I'm going to call it here. I have ridden a skim and surf style boards. Both seem to have the same issue. More with the surf board than the skim. Every now and then I get it where I can ride no problem and it feels great. I move some folks around or change the weight a bit and then loose it. Do I need more weight up front or in the rear to get more of a push from the wake. I'm not sure if that make sense but let me know what you all think. Or it very well could be I'm just a bad rider.

Thanks!!
    Tyler

Don't get frustrated, it is going to take some time on the water to get the feel for the balance of the sweet spot on the wake, it is a bit different than wakeboarding.

I assume you are weighting the side of the boat you are surfing on and not balancing the weight across the back of the boat. Wake9.com has some great pictures of a great clean surf wake, that is what you are looking for.

Next is how much do you weigh and what board are you riding? If you are a big guy on a small board you are going to struggle to freeride, i know from personal experience. I currently have basic factory ballast in my RZ2 and I only weight the surf side with the factory 250# hard tank and as many people as I can get out on the water with me. I ride at about 10.4mph with taps at 6.

Last is riding technique and foot position. More weight on the front of the board will allow you to accelerate and move forward on the wave, riding the "push." Foot position on the board is just as critical, if you move both of your feet just a little bit forward you will probably accelerate toward the boat. It is a very slight shift in weight but take your time and feel it, when you can ride for a few minutes with slack in the rope try to drop it and have someone in the boat pull it in. Look for the superman technique from the wake9.com videos, it works very well and you will probably spend the next 2 weeks reading and watching all the videos on that site, it is very informative.

It took me a long time to be able to ride ropeless, but my learning curve is ramping up quickly thanks to this site and wake9.com. I started out trying surfing on my last boat, an I/O (I know now, bad idea), with a very small wake and it took me over a year to weight it and learn to ride the board good enough to let go of the rope. Be patient, you'll get it.
    2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
    2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

X2 - very good overview - nice job ewok. TSS73 - where are you? maybe other folks around might be able to join u to provide pointers.

Comment

Originally posted by TSS73 View Post
        Hello,

I'm new to surfing but getting the bug quickly. It's a nice change from wakeboarding and something fun to do in the middle of the day when the water is a bit rough.

So here is my current question. I've got a Z1 with no hard tanks. I've got a pair of vdrive sacks and a 750 sack. I'm having trouble getting the wake to "push" the rider. I don't know the technical term but "push" is what I'm going to call it here. I have ridden a skim and surf style boards. Both seem to have the same issue. More with the surf board than the skim. Every now and then I get it where I can ride no problem and it feels great. I move some folks around or change the weight a bit and then loose it. Do I need more weight up front or in the rear to get more of a push from the wake. I'm not sure if that make sense but let me know what you all think. Or it very well could be I'm just a bad rider.

Thanks!!
        Tyler
        we need more info: where are the sacs placed?

What is the speed you are trying to ride?

What is the TAPS setting you are currently at while surfing?

What boards are you riding and what is the weight of the riders trying to ride those boards?

Here is how i would set the boat up with what you have:

If you have a medium to large crew, put the 750 in the rear locker on the surf side and one of the 400's in the bow walk-way and the crew along the surf side seats. If you have a small crew, add the 2nd 400 in the seat along the surf side. TAPS 3-4 and speed 11.5 - 12.5 This should give you plenty of wake and a good pocket.
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I've tried a few different spots for the sacs. At first I was putting the 750 up front and filling it 3/4 full. Then putting one vdrive sac on the surf side full. I thought they were only 225 each. Then I would let some out of the front and add some in the front. I've also put the vdrive sac in rear locker with 750 on rear seat and second vdrive sac up front. I had a small crew that day.

I'm 6'3" and 170. The boards I'm riding are CWB ride, Grindwater Slaysh and Slingshot Arcane.

I can free ride the CWB just fine with no ballast but not the other boards. We ride about 10 +/- and adjust the taps to tune the wake.

I was thinking of putting the 750 in the rear locker but not sure how well it would fit. I'll give it a try next time and then one sac up front.

I've read that more weight in the back create a taller wake does that also help with the "push"?

Thanks for the help everyone!!

Comment

I would try the biggest sac you have in the v-drive locker and fill it until the locker is full. Then put some weight in the bow on the surf side. Then set your speed at 10.5 or 11 mph, taps at 8 and bring taps down in small increments to clean up the wake. The more weight in the rear the taller the wake and more push you get. More weight up front knocks down the height but lengthens the sweet spot or pocket so you can ride farther back from the boat.

Sounds like you should be able to ride all those boards based on your weight.

Where are you located? You might be able to meet up with some of our apprentice weighters from this site. We are all master weighters in training.
            2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
            2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

Taller doesn't necessarily mean more push. Pictures or video would help. You need more weight in the rear, less up front. I would stuff that 750 in the vdrive locker and fill it up all the way, and then try 3-400 lbs up front on surf side. Where does the rubrail set when riding at 11mph? Sometimes if you put the 400 in the bow walkway, it will keep the boat from listing well. Make sure that rubrail is kissing the water. This is what I mean by where the rubrail should kiss the water.

http://wake9.com/

Comment

I'll try the 750 in the back next trip out. I'm in Phoenix so still plenty of riding time left. Only problem is my axle broke on my trailer but that is another issue.

Ragboy I think my rail is still a couple of inches off the water. The gas tank vent is right there should that be a concern?

Thanks!

Comment

The gas vent is above the rub rail, right? So you should be ok. Look at this:

IMG_0873 by wake9, on Flickr

We ran like that all day once, had no issue.
                  http://wake9.com/

Comment

haha now thats low ridin

Comment

What camera is in the pic?

Comment

Working...
                      X