Pump up the wave

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pump up the wave

I was actually able to pump the wave and "surf" from pretty far back and drove myself forward with leg power. Until today I just used balance to find the sweet spot and used forward pressure to move toward the boat and rear foot pressure to move back. That is with stock ballast (250#) on the port corner and two 180# dudes and one 130# dudette (10.4mph, taps at 6). I can't wait to get some surf ballast installed this winter and get that wake up.

As I was pumping and moving foward pretty quickly I was kinda trying to carve aggressively up the wake like the kids do when they get air. I might be able to but its pretty hard to do it with my IS Blue Lake. I bought the board for my old boat which didn't have a nice or big wake. Now I need a new board, probably surf style, and I'm a sort of athletic 220# guy. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Ewok; 09-15-2010, 03:32 AM.
    2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
    2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

I love my shred stixx custom elevation. If I were to buy today it would be between my current board, fly boy, and a calibrated. Surf style is cool, but im thinking i like skim style a little better, and am considering getting a calibrated skim style board next summer.

Heres the thread I did on our ballast.
    http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12921

some pics of the board.

Joey - Red 20V Riders Edition

Comment

The elevation is nice, but I think the quad makes it less responsive. Another to try is the TWP JWSM, for your size, probably a 4.9. Flyboy won't work for you. The F-18 is also good.
      http://wake9.com/

Comment

To loosen up that board try removing the 2 rear fins. My wife's board is a SS Thresher Shredder and we couldn't believe the ride difference when we removed the center fin.

Comment

Ragboy, what is the Flyboy weight rating?

Comment

Originally posted by sagmanaur View Post
            To loosen up that board try removing the 2 rear fins. My wife's board is a SS Thresher Shredder and we couldn't believe the ride difference when we removed the center fin.
            I like the drive of the 4, rode it without the back 2 and it would be good to learn 3's but to just ride i really dont enjoy it. felt more like my coex...
            Joey - Red 20V Riders Edition

Comment

Originally posted by sagmanaur View Post
              Ragboy, what is the Flyboy weight rating?
              about 185 lbs. for the current 4.5. You can be bigger, the board is so fast, but to really enjoy it, you should be under 185. There should be a bigger one maybe some time next year.

Comment

Thanks all for the recommendations. Ragboy, when you said try the 4.9 JWSM, do I need to special order a 4.9 or will that be offered as a different size from IS when they go into production.

Comment

Sorry, I know this is confusing. I meant The Walker Project JWSM 4.9. The IS version will only be 4.5, and there may be a 4.7 next year, but no guarantee. Also, the flyboy is an amazing board, but the TWP JWSM is also a great board.

Comment

I just found a shredstixx comp 1 on craigslist for a modest price. The website says its for up to 200#, I'm about 215, am I too big? Anyone else my size ride this board?

Comment

I am very similar in size to you.... around 215, 6'. I ride a 4'11" TWP James Walker Pro Model. It is about 3 years old now i think, but I love it. it is a quad fin with tons of drive and I can get it to spin. You really have to ride it though, can't really just chill and stand there.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodwin View Post
                        I am very similar in size to you.... around 215, 6'. I ride a 4'11" TWP James Walker Pro Model. It is about 3 years old now i think, but I love it. it is a quad fin with tons of drive and I can get it to spin. You really have to ride it though, can't really just chill and stand there.
                        Thanks. On the IS Blue Lake I can just stand there but it's a lot of work to get it to turn. That sounds like what I'm looking for, something more responsive but big enough to keep me up.

Comment

I don't think you can go wrong with the TWP JWSM. Its VERY reponsive, yet forgiving, doesn't pearl very easy, great board. It is actually not a true quad, it does have 4 fins, but 2 are the smaller canards, and it is considered a Twinzer setup. I think technically it still falls in the twin fin category, but dennis or surfdad would be better to answer that.

Comment

I'm 6'2" 200lbs and I've been riding a CWB Tsunami (57"). I think I want a surf style board really bad so I've been trying to sell this one. Just throwin' that out there...
                            Waiting for another good one!

Comment

Originally posted by ragboy View Post
                              I don't think you can go wrong with the TWP JWSM. Its VERY reponsive, yet forgiving, doesn't pearl very easy, great board. It is actually not a true quad, it does have 4 fins, but 2 are the smaller canards, and it is considered a Twinzer setup. I think technically it still falls in the twin fin category, but dennis or surfdad would be better to answer that.
                              What do you mean it doesn't pearl very easy? I'm not familiar with that term.

Comment

Working...
                              X