Designing a board for Ragboy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Designing a board for Ragboy

I'm not sure if anyone followed the nonsense over on WW, but one individual, the infamous "justsomeguy" reinvented as "somepeteguy" told Robert that his opionion couldn't be of any value, because he doesn't wakesurf. There was this hilarious exchange between a few folks - Do you wakesurf? Yes I do, do you? As if judging the quality of a wake is such rocket science that ONLY folks that actual ride that wake can judge it. I'll bet that I can tell a crappy wake from a good wake without having to actually ride it.

Anyway...I digress. I want design and build a board so that Robert can answer: "why yes I do" to that silly question.

So the challenge is that Robert is a BIG GUY, in doing the math, I believe he's 400 pounds. Robert has surfed as a teenager, but not really sense. An 8 foot board or whatever doesn't make sense to me because it's just way LARGE to try and learn on, but my main concern is with getting up. I'm thinking that having a newb - a REALLY big newb flip up an 8 foot 3 inch thick board isn't going to be easy.

Do we have any 300+ pound guys that ride? What are you riding?

Do any big guys have an opinion on doing a deep water start? I'm thinking a neutrally bouyant board that he can stand on and then the boat pulls him up while he's leaning back.

Any opinions, other than this HAS to be done?
    Buy my kid's board! http://www.flyboywakesurf.com

Would an ocean shortboard work for him? A 6'er or something along those lines?

Comment

Good idea, but I don't think so. The rocker on a typical shorty is about 4" on the nose, it would wind up being a slug for Ragboy at his size. I think your call on the length is good though. 5' to 6'. I want to try and keep the rocker very minimal. I don't envision Robert shredding this board, just tossing the rope and being able to say - why yes I do wakesurf.

So...dim's that are running through my head are 6' x 2' with a mostly full outline. Something to cruise on...but that also won't break when Robert gets up. I'd also like it to be "sinkable" so I'm thinking layers of 5 pound foam built up.

Comment

Surfdad I am 6ft and 310 I learned this summer after buying a 2010 RZ 4. I used a hyperlite 5.6 skim to learn. I just ordered Grindwater Mauka hoping a little less effort on the deep water starts. Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfdad View Post
          I'm not sure if anyone followed the nonsense over on WW, but one individual, the infamous "justsomeguy" reinvented as "somepeteguy" told Robert that his opionion couldn't be of any value, because he doesn't wakesurf. There was this hilarious exchange between a few folks - Do you wakesurf? Yes I do, do you? As if judging the quality of a wake is such rocket science that ONLY folks that actual ride that wake can judge it. I'll bet that I can tell a crappy wake from a good wake without having to actually ride it.

Anyway...I digress. I want design and build a board so that Robert can answer: "why yes I do" to that silly question.

So the challenge is that Robert is a BIG GUY, in doing the math, I believe he's 400 pounds. Robert has surfed as a teenager, but not really sense. An 8 foot board or whatever doesn't make sense to me because it's just way LARGE to try and learn on, but my main concern is with getting up. I'm thinking that having a newb - a REALLY big newb flip up an 8 foot 3 inch thick board isn't going to be easy.

Do we have any 300+ pound guys that ride? What are you riding?

Do any big guys have an opinion on doing a deep water start? I'm thinking a neutrally bouyant board that he can stand on and then the boat pulls him up while he's leaning back.

Any opinions, other than this HAS to be done?
          Wow, this happened right here yesterday! I was told that basically I didnt know chit about boats, or even how to drive one, and anyone would be a fool to fallow my advice because I dont currently have a boat

Good luck with the project
          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

gwhite94, thanks you're the kinda guy I need to talk to. So, the HL 5.6 was tough to manage? What is your hope with the Grindwater? Am I on the right path with thinking that getting that board down and under Robert would make it easier for him to get up?

Comment

Sorry you had to endure the same kind of nonsense, chpthril!

Comment

Originally posted by Surfdad View Post
                Sorry you had to endure the same kind of nonsense, chpthril!
                I thought it was actually kinda funny!

Instead of a flip-start, how 'bout a deep-water start? Would that overcome the added floatation needed for this board?
                Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Surfdad, the HL 5.6 just did not seem to have enough floation to get me out with out some serious effort. I am hoping with the grindwater I will have easier starts and just cruise. I still seem to spend more time with the rope than without. hahaha it could be I still spend more time behind the wheel and behind the boat...I get up with the flip start I have not tried with the board under me. Once I have the flipped up to my feet I tend to rotate pretty early and have the board pointing at the boat before I am really out of the water. This is what works for me.
                  Last edited by gwhite94; 08-14-2010, 03:36 AM.

Comment

Yeah, the deep water start is what I'm thinking will be the easiest to get Robert up and going. So with that in mind, I need a stiff, thin board, that also is neutrally bouyant.

Comment

Ok, so you're wanting some additional floatation. So I may not be on the right track.

Comment

Yes, my hope is that more floation will help me not bury the board so far underwater before I pop out.

Comment

Ragboy has that big arse blue board that he bought a year ago. He was suppose to shoot a video of him wakesurfing. What ever came of that video?

Just because one doesn't do something doesn't mean he is not knowledge in the subject. There are many scientists that study space but never have set foot there but know more than the astronauts that have rocketed into space.

Comment

I'm a big guy too. I've lost a few pounds since I weighed in at 310lbs, but I still can't ride a HL Broadcast. I was talking to Matt Smedley and he said he had a big guy board, but I've not gotten around to riding it.

It's a problem for big guys. I know how to surf, too. I even spent some time with Billy Clark @ ASC. His opinion was a custom board. You guys might want to collaborate because I know a lot of big guys (250+) who want to ride. It's my experience that no matter what the manufacturer says, if you're over 250, they don't really make boards for you.

Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

I am touched, truly. That big arse board, like surfdad said, is so darn buoyant, just didn't work.

I haven't tried yet, but I do have the DOOR that lakewakes made, I will give it a shot and report back. It is I think 5.4, and frank rode it well at 330 or so.

Yes, I am just over 400lbs, I was over 450, been slowly losing.

Its funny, I was thinking about those comments today. Taught 2 people to surf today, and almost a third. These are people that don't even know they are goofy or regular. But we are out wakesurfing 200+ hours a season, I watch and coach my kids from 10 feet away. Anyway, I do need to be able to answer that question yes, but if someone chooses to ignore me because I am not at the moment, doesn't bother me.

I think the main thing is, its not that I am fat, or that I don't surf. Its the fact that I am coming at this from a perspective of looking out for new wakesurfers that are usually families. That is who I want to help and reach. Wakesurfing is such a great family activity for the garcias and what we have done with foster/adoption and all, it brings us together.

So that thread got me going. It made me roll up my sleeves and say I want to see this one through. The guy asking the question, was a AR 230 Jetboat owner asking for help on which surfboats. Enzo, Enzo, Enzo. I just want them to at least point out, great wake on one side, good on the other, but you have to work harder and throw a lot more weight at it. Thats it.

Its the same thing when someone asks me about a Sanger 215. I think they are great boats, BigKahuna (dennis) has one. But my wife would freak out if that was our daily boat, and we had to get water up close to the upholstery to get a wake. So I tell people, 215 is a great boat, makes a great wake, but beware of the low freeboard.

That is it, nothing more, just accurate info.

Thanks for the support. Sorry if I slung a bit too much mud myself, the personal stuff doesn't bother me, but the raghead and frog eating frenchy stuff, I had to call that guy a tool, I just had to. ;-)
                              http://wake9.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X