Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone attending the CWSA Appalachian Open?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone attending the CWSA Appalachian Open?

My wife and I noticed a FB post last night for a wake surfing competition on our lake (Boone Lake) in Johnson City, TN on June 4th. WE ARE IN NO WAY AFFILIATED but we hope the event is a success. If any Tige' Owners are going to be attending and need anything on or around Boone Lake let me know. The link for the event is below.

Appalachian Open - Competitive Wake Surf Association (thecwsa.org)

I considered going but flights were super expensive and not worth it. Friend of mine is the head judge, should be a good grass root event.

Comment

I plan to head up the lake and watch some of the action with my kids. That area of the lake is pretty narrow and back when they did the wakeboard competitions at the same park TWRA stopped all boat traffic in the area and would not allow spectators to raft up (lame). You basically had to arrive by land if you wanted to watch. I assume this will be the same. I am concerned it may be bland to watch since surface tricks on the opposite side of the wake will be hard to see but hopefully the atmosphere will be fun.

Gumby, Nashville is about a 4.5 hour drive. I have family there and make the trip frequently. Norris is nice and we love most of the Knoxville area lakes. If you come out I will let you buy me a beer at one of the marinas.

bsreid: Flights are typically cheaper into Asheville, NC (AVL) or Knoxville (TYS) than TRI.

If anyone goes and takes a boat stay North (downstream) of the 11E bridge where the park is. It gets shallow quick once you cross under the bridge.

Comment

Is the lake back to normal? Used to live there and wakeboard Boone, moved away and they lowered it to work on the dam or something. Visited a few years ago and it was still low.

Comment

Mike,
          The lake was returned to full pool last July for a couple months. It was awesome to have a full lake after 7 years of a 30+ foot drawdown!!! This will be the first year the lake is at normal operating levels. The water is now about three feet below full pool currently and should be full in a week or two. It seems like everyone is doing dock upgrades regardless of lumber prices and and the boat traffic level is way up. Folks around here are thrilled to be living the lake life again.

TVA, Boone Lake Association, and individual property owners have done a killer job managing the brush/debris and keeping the lake clean. There is very little evidence of the vegetation that grew up while the lake was down. The short cut was even cleared out and useable last year. Every marina (except Rockingham) is showing signs of neglect due to the lack of income for the past few years. I hope the marinas can all rebound over the next couple years but the financial stress is obvious.

Comment

I'm sure everyone is excited. Those docks that were drydocked had to be frustrating. Hope the competition is a success. Maybe Grindstaff can send some money to the marina's.....

Comment

Originally posted by mikemcclain8 View Post
              I'm sure everyone is excited. Those docks that were drydocked had to be frustrating. Hope the competition is a success. Maybe Grindstaff can send some money to the marina's.....
              Grindstaff moved out a few years back. His “castle” was bought by a cash-for-gold tycoon from my understanding. All his car dealerships have been sold off over the past few years too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hmmm, change of pace with the Chinese link and discussion on fly fishing in West Virgina. I am sure that will get a lot of clicks here (eyeroll).

Comment

This event will take place again in 2023. The 2nd annual dates are June 21-24, 2023.

From my understanding the 21st will be boat & board demo day then competition on 23nd through 24th.
                  Concerts are scheduled for each night and the promoters and sponsors are hoping to grow the event.

Comment

Working...
                  X