Another Newb question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Newb question.

I bought a used CWB SOL 141 (or so) for me about 6 weeks ago. I figured it would be a great board to learn on. I have an chance to buy a nice hyperlite for $100 with bindings, the problem is the hyperlite is a 135. Would that be too small for a 170 pound person? Assuming I learning first on the SOL?

ASN
    I ride a LF Evo and it's a 134 and I am 6' 1" 195-200 and it works fine for me no issues at all. So I think you will be fine.

Sam
    15 Escalade ESV-Black
    08 RZ2-Blue

Comment

im in the big rider club myself and also new to wakeboarding. i found learning on a smaller board was hard but once you got the hang of it found it easier to handle a smaller board. at 6-1 245# i liked the H/L142 the best of all the boards i tried. i did try a cwb 135 someone had and it was a strugle to get up on. i still am trying to learn how to get more pop off the wake so im not sure if a bigger person needs more board for more pop or is it all technique. i was going to ask that question of some of the more advanced riders on this site myself. i love to go boarding i just cant get the hang of getting pop off the wake. im stuck in the 2ft range and need advice.

Comment

I have a LF 139 and weigh 190lbs, its probably on the large size, you can go online to a place that sells wakeboards and should be able to find the weight ranges for different sizes. I know at evogear.com you can find some info.

Comment

The length of the board isn't the only factor. If you look at the pro models on most boards, they're usually riding 134s, but the boards are wider.

Depending on what Hyperlite model it is, you may be ok. That may help. We have had a number of different riders on our Hyperlite Motive 134. It's a good all-around board, especially for newbs.
          Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

It was a Hyperlite State, and was only $100. I missed out and it's gone. Oh Well!

Comment

That would have been a good pick-up.
              Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Here's my 2 cents worth; As another member of the "bigger rider club," (6'3", 195), I have had a 141, a 143, and now, a 140. I learned on a 138. I feel my balance is better on the larger board, and I certainly feel like I get better pop our of the bigger board. That being said, it is more board to get around. Spins don't initiate quite as quick on the larger, heavier boards, and you do have more board to get around on an invert. I've found that the 140's and 141's are about perfect for me. As for the state, it's a solid board, but it's a tad on the heavy side. Watch boardersbestbuy.com for a good deal or call grizzly sports and ask them what they have in an 07.' They'll hook you up.

Comment

yeah i tried a 145 state and it was crazy big. it was stable as heck but was really slow/hard to turn/carve IMO. come on guys give me the trick to pop. let me hear your on how to get a bigger pop. i know lose weight and im working on that but what else you got 4 me. thanx

Comment

So, what about the SOL (the one I already have). Is it a decent board to learn on? Should I look for something better, and sell it?

Comment

Originally posted by asn View Post
                      So, what about the SOL (the one I already have). Is it a decent board to learn on? Should I look for something better, and sell it?
                      Great board and boots right here, awesome prices too!

2007 LF Witness

2007 LF Transits

Honestly, This was offered to me, I would have jumped on the setup, but I had a 2008 CWB Marius 140 on the way at the time, and enought store credit to pick up some boots, I'm regretting not offering up some $$$ for just the boots because I had a board lined up, and saving my store credit for somthing else

My point is Don't let this deal pass you up, it won't last!
                      The sun never sets on a badass

Comment

BTW, I know the seller and you won't be disapointed.

-wannbe
                        Last edited by wannabewakeboarder; 03-25-2008, 02:22 AM.

Comment

Well, I think pop is all about the amount of tension you can put on the line. So, my biggest suggestion is to load the line and hold your edge all the way through the wake. I'm by no way a pro, but this is a technique that has helped me a lot, and it also has been a key to getting some decent air without a huge wake.

As for the SOL, I don't think it will hold you back. The only thing I will say is that my legs take a lot less beating on good equipment than they do on less good equipment. I'm on my third set of "pro" bindings, but last year I broke down and bought top of the line ones. There is no comparrison. I had ZERO lower leg issues last year, and I was boarding on the biggest wake I've ever had access to. I noticed the difference in boards when my parks board started falling apart. I was forced back to my old Liquid Force Rythm 141, and my legs took a pounding. ASN, I have no idea how old you are, and this is in no way a shot at older people on this here, but I felt it was hard on my legs, and I'm 26. After that, I'd never put my dad on that old board. again, just my 2 cents worth.

Comment

illini,
                            What "pro" boots have you been riding?

Comment

I started with some Wiley's which were actually good bindings back in the late 90's. Then I had some O'brien Plush Pro's (quite posssibly the worst name ever). I'm actually on set 4. The third set was some hyperlite line, but I can't remember the name. I currently have the Pparks bindings, and they are head and shoulders above the others.

Comment

Working...
                              X