Entering my first comp this weekend!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Entering my first comp this weekend!

I'm entering my first competition this weekend and I'm nervous as hell after going out last night. I was so stressed about which tricks to do, if I could land them that I didn't land 1 single trick. Tried drinking a beer to calm me down a little but that didn't help.

Anyway, I've never even been to a wakeboard comp, let alone entered one! I think the tow boat is going to be a Malibu and I read on Wakeworld that I could possibly go 5' longer than normal on my rope length since I ride behind a Tige. I will be entering the Intermediate class since the rules for the comp state that you can't cross 2 wakes in the beginner class for any tricks and ALL of my tricks are across both wakes.

Anyone entered a comp? Do you have any pointers? It's been 15 years since I've competed in an athletic competition (High school football, track, BMX racing, etc).

Have fun and relax. Then make sure someone gets some pic's of your riding and post them here.

Comment

Oh don't worry, I opted for the full CD of pictures (complete with Bikini contest pics) from the event. I will have a full crew there to watch as well and I'm sure they will get some pics.

Comment

Is Bam Bam going to be there or her twin?????

Comment

You will be fine, just relax and go out and nail your run.....Good Luck

What is your trick list for the comp??
          Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity. Albert Einstein

Comment

What da.bell said!

Keep in mind that you get points for each trick, so it's not the quality/difficulty of the tricks, but the number of points you get. Even if you think they're lame, do them and get as many in as you can. Usually, you'll get credit for the 5 or 6 tricks and maybe one bonus (double-up or out of class) trick that only counts if you land it. It's better to get lots of successful tricks in than lots of unsuccessful high value attempts.

As for rope length and wake size, I'd actually go shorter than what you normally ride. Take the first wake-to-wake jump as big as you can just to see how the wake works for you and then make the adjustments.

My youngest didn't place at a recent kids comp because he crashed 2 times. He'd never ridden behind the Mastercraft X1 and found the wake to be somewhat undersized and washed out at his rope length. Plus he tried his bigger tricks right off the bat without checking out the wake. He was clearly the best rider out there, but didn't even place. We talked about that, but he decided to ignore his old man so for him it was a lesson learned. He was pretty upset with himself, but he's taking my suggestions more seriously.

Just don't think about it too much and if you crash, forget it and keep going. It's not your day job, so there's nothing to lose!
            Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

My (sketchy at best) run was going to go something like this:
              • Start out switch
              • Rail slide the wake and back to normal stance
              • do a wake to wake jump to test the rope length and width of the wake (maybe throw in a grab)
              • do a single wake jump back across the wake for my return to the starboard side (normal riding stance side)
              • Maybe ollie out in the flats with a grab
              • go big with a nose or tail grab and some style
              • wake to wake 180 (then 180 back to normal stance)
              • attempt my wake to wake 360 (probably won't land it)

I'm borderline beginner/intermediate as you can see by my tricklist but I feel that I wouldn't have fun in the beginner class with only going across 1 wake. It's a weak set of tricks I can do, I know but it's only my 3rd season of riding and my first year riding behind a wakeboard boat and with a tower.

Comment

Throw in a grab on your wake-to-wake jumps because you'll get more credit for them, if you're comfortable with it. I'd see if they had the bonus trick option, because that's when you want to throw the 3. That way if you don't land it, you don't get penalized.
                Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Most of my wake to wake jumps include a grab of some sort unless I go so big that I've thrown myself off-balance. Thanks for the recommendations! I know your kids enter the INT comps so you have some experience at this!

Comment

Actually, we're doing our first INT competition this weekend, but he's done 4 other competitions so far this summer. Each one is a little different format, but it's always points for the successful tricks. INT may not have the bonus trick option, so I'd ask.

Comment

Originally posted by Timmy! View Post
                      • attempt my wake to wake 360 (probably won't land it)
                      Well, you need to change that attitude... Think.... "I can make it!!!" and you will be okay... Don't think negative

Comment

Ooops, I was confused! This comp isn't an INT comp, it's a private comp someone is holding in hopes of having a series of 5 events next year if it's successful. I will ask about the bonus trick!

Comment

Originally posted by da.bell View Post
                          Well, you need to change that attitude... Think.... "I can make it!!!" and you will be okay... Don't think negative
                          I know, I pop the handle every single time, haven't ever completed the handle pass yet (been close). I am going to do some practice on the trampoline tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Timmy! View Post
                            I know, I pop the handle every single time, haven't ever completed the handle pass yet (been close). I am going to do some practice on the trampoline tonight.
                            Great idea.... Do you have "The Book"???? Might want to watch the video on handle passing if so....

Comment

Don't have "The Book"...yet. Was hoping to get that for Christmas this year!

Comment

Working...
                              X