Wakeboarding without a vest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wakeboarding without a vest

surfdads wakesurf thread made me think...

How many out there wakeboard with out a vest or have done ti before just to see how it feels?
    Everything happens for a reason
    I live my post whore life 30 seconds at a time

Just don't do it. Surf or WB. Just yesterday, my son was attempting backroll. He said on his landing his board came off and he felt it smack him hard on the helmet. Good reason to wear both a life vest and a helmet.

When I was about 15, I took a fall slaloming. I lost control, came out of bindings and went airborne, I came down on the ski and got a concussion. We didn't wear helmets then. I was so out of it, I didn't know which way was up, needed my vest.

When I was 13, my dad was thrashing us on the tube, 2 of us on one tube. We crashed, got the wind knocked out of me, and I was swimming to try to get up and out of the water, felt half dead. I was swimming the wrong way, had to calm down, and just let my jacket float me up.

The other day, my son was surfing, a jet ski comes right around corner, I had to pull up on throttle, he comes right up on boat. Good thing he had a helmet.

I was teaching another kid how to surf the other day, he is inexperienced. I am telling him, he is holding handle, to push the nose down to accelerate, and pull nose up to go back. He puts nose down, and comes all the way to the boat, then falls, hands hit swim step, just misses head.

Just don't do it. Be an example to your kids and those around. How would you feel if something terrible happened, that was so easy preventable? **** happens, when it does, I want to be able to say to the kids parents, or my wife, we did everything by the book, it just happened.
    http://wake9.com/

Comment

yeah i took a mike tyson blow just the other day while on the w/b and i thought i was going nite-nite would hate to think what would have happend had i not had a vest on. never really tried the helmet but as often and as hard as i crash it might be a good idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I know not to do it
        I have had about 7 concussions total so I dont take chances and I have had friends crash so hard they cant remember anything.

Im just wondering if anyone has done it or does it?
        Everything happens for a reason
        I live my post whore life 30 seconds at a time

Comment

Originally posted by ragboy View Post
          Just don't do it. Surf or WB. Just yesterday, my son was attempting backroll. He said on his landing his board came off and he felt it smack him hard on the helmet. Good reason to wear both a life vest and a helmet.

When I was about 15, I took a fall slaloming. I lost control, came out of bindings and went airborne, I came down on the ski and got a concussion. We didn't wear helmets then. I was so out of it, I didn't know which way was up, needed my vest.

When I was 13, my dad was thrashing us on the tube, 2 of us on one tube. We crashed, got the wind knocked out of me, and I was swimming to try to get up and out of the water, felt half dead. I was swimming the wrong way, had to calm down, and just let my jacket float me up.

The other day, my son was surfing, a jet ski comes right around corner, I had to pull up on throttle, he comes right up on boat. Good thing he had a helmet.

I was teaching another kid how to surf the other day, he is inexperienced. I am telling him, he is holding handle, to push the nose down to accelerate, and pull nose up to go back. He puts nose down, and comes all the way to the boat, then falls, hands hit swim step, just misses head.

Just don't do it. Be an example to your kids and those around. How would you feel if something terrible happened, that was so easy preventable? **** happens, when it does, I want to be able to say to the kids parents, or my wife, we did everything by the book, it just happened.
          So the moral of the story is don't hang out with ragboy....

J/k

I don't use a helmet when I wakeboard but I always use a Vest.
          I do use a helmet when I snowboard tho...
          Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity. Albert Einstein

Comment

Nope, never. My kids keep asking and they get the same answer. Helmets are another good idea. They wear them about 1/2 the time.
            Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

I took a NASTY spill this year WITH a helmet on and I think I lost consciousness for a few seconds. There was a huge difference though with the helmet! The day before I crashed about 1/2 as hard and I was way too sore to continue after. (headache, etc.) When I crashed and possibly knocked myself out for a sec it didn't hurt AT ALL. I will never not wear a helmet again.. ever. It is way too easy to get hurt going 24mph on a wakeboard to not wear one.

I always wear a PFD when surfing and wakeboarding too b/c you never know. IMO it's just gambling (and stupid) not to wear a PFD while doing any watersport.
              If you ain't falling.. you ain't trying hard enough..

Comment

Nope, never have nor have my children.

Comment

Originally posted by G-MONEY View Post
                  So the moral of the story is don't hang out with ragboy....

J/k

I don't use a helmet when I wakeboard but I always use a Vest.
                  I do use a helmet when I snowboard tho...
                  I wouldn't let someone behind my boat without a vest. Helmet is your decision. But if you don't want to wear a vest, you gotta do it on someone elses boat. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by ragboy View Post
                    I wouldn't let someone behind my boat without a vest. Helmet is your decision. But if you don't want to wear a vest, you gotta do it on someone elses boat. :-)
                    Everyone uses a vest on my boat....If not, no butter for you.
                    Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity. Albert Einstein

Comment

So, while we're on the whole vest subject, does everyone use a USCG approved vest, or do you allow the Jet Pilot Attack vests?
                      Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

CG approved vests only.

Comment

Originally posted by da.bell View Post
                          CG approved vests only.
                          Me 2. I have thought about letting them (my kids) use comp vests at INT, but then they will just want to wear them on the boat. We use the hyperlite INDY vests that have been comfortable.

Comment

IMO, the situation with Lee and his daughter should be an eye wakenner with all of us that we need to be safe. There are regulations out there for us to obey. We might not agree with them all but I am sure that Lee was glad that his daughter had a USCG approved jacket. (sorry Lee, no disrespect intended what-so-ever. just using the most current event as an example. We all hope your daughter's health is getting better)

Comment

Always with a vest, Pop's rule is if your under 12 you have to wear one in the boat too, Somtimes my friends moms want them to wear one the whole time out.
                              The sun never sets on a badass

Comment

Working...
                              X