What speed are you riding at?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What speed are you riding at?

Just curious to see what speed people are riding at. I have been riding at 20.xx for awhile. Yesterday I rode at 21.8 and found that I was getting a lot more air and landing pretty far into the flats for a change. I knew that increasing the speed would get me some additional distance but didn't think that 1mph would do that much.

I feel like I might try into the 22's, maybe 23 and see what that is like, I'm looking for air and hang time so I can start to pull off some decent tricks, tired of doing grabs and simple stuff. I've been trying to pull of a 360 and haven't done it this year, did it once last year.

Am I on the right track or is that too fast? I thought I read that some of the pro's are up around 26mph? Is that right? I was watching "The Truth" yesterday and they are moving pretty darned fast!

I'm at 20 right now and plan to raise that to 22 this week. Got a new board this season and now I feel comfortable with it so I will attempt to go a little faster. But, you have the digital readout that tells you exactly how fast you are going. We have the normal speedometer still

I've heard the same thing about the pro's. I have also heard that they might even go faster than 26. I think 28 was one I have heard....

Comment

I go 21.7. But I am not a great wakeboarder. Most pros do go faster than that - usually 23-24 is what I hear.

If you are landing in the flats, then you need to lengthen your rope now.
      Be excellent to one another.

Comment

I actually like landing in the flats, is that bad? Is there a reason not to? I find that if I land on the wake I have a higher chance of crashing. I need to figure out what length I am riding at right now as well, still haven't done that.

Comment

I usually go 22.6-23.0mph on the SpeedSet w/ the stock ballast full and TAPS at 8 w/ a 75' line.

And to answer your question Timmy, no landing in the flats isn't bad. Some people don't like it cuz it's harder on the knees vs. landing on the downslope of the opposite wake.

But you never see the pros land anywhere but in the flats. And I don't think they go 26.. I thought 24 was about max but I could be wrong.
          If you ain't falling.. you ain't trying hard enough..

Comment

If done correctly, landing on the wake reduces the force load and makes for a smoother landing.

Comment

With this '07 Transcend, landing in the flats is smooth!

I'm running the Fly high V-drive sacks (550 each) 3/4 full and taps at 6 right now, it's very nice! Everyone else on the boat is scared of the wake, looks fine inside the boat but once they get out there they are intimidated by it and the taps goes down to 1.

I will try 22.x this weekend and see how that feels.

Comment

A wakeboarding mag last year had a bunch of pro riders give the speed, rope length, board, boots and stance they ride at, 90% rode at 23-23.5 mph at 80'. with the stance all the way out and both bindings between 15-20% open...
                Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity. Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Timmy! View Post
                  With this '07 Transcend, landing in the flats is smooth!

I'm running the Fly high V-drive sacks (550 each) 3/4 full and taps at 6 right now, it's very nice! Everyone else on the boat is scared of the wake, looks fine inside the boat but once they get out there they are intimidated by it and the taps goes down to 1.

I will try 22.x this weekend and see how that feels.
                  Ya I hear ya about landing smooth in the flats. I'm on the new '07 LF Shane and that thing is like landing on a pillow! On our 22Ve w/ the ballast and full TAPS, everyone is afraid of our wake too. It looks a lot smaller in the boat then when you're right next to it, that's for sure! Even w/ TAPS at 1 it is pretty massive for beginners.

Originally posted by G-MONEY View Post
                  A wakeboarding mag last year had a bunch of pro riders give the speed, rope length, board, boots and stance they ride at, 90% rode at 23-23.5 mph at 80'. with the stance all the way out and both bindings between 15-20% open...
                  Thanks for that info G-Money, that's good to know. I think I'm gonna try and go a little wider w/ my bindings and see how that goes.

Comment

I ride at about 23.5-24 on our speedo, not GPS 75' out 24ve with about 2000lbs. ballast.

Comment

Finally got some smooth water this last weekend and w/ the factory 900lb ballast plus about 800-1000lb of people ballast and TAPS at 8 I tried 24.0 and it was great in smooth water. I think that it might be a little too fast in chop though but we'll see...

Comment

i ride at 24 with my rope at 70. i have 1200 pounds of ballast plus people. the wake is huge and i can get as much air as i want for inverts spins and grabs. someday when i figure out how to post video i will put some on.

24 is pretty fast for most people. me and my friend are the only one's i ride with that go that fast and we are going 2-3 times a week and riding alot. the rest of my fam ride's at 23 down to 21.

as far as the pro's go i dont think many ride faster than 26. most ride at 24-25. and timmy, when you watch movies and it looks like they are cruzing and have longer ropes, it is mostly becouse of a different view. if you ever go to a wake comp and watch from the beach it looks totally different. the rope looks alot longer and speeds seem different

Comment

i ride at 25, coming from tige speed set. i've found out on tiges w/o ballast that once you start going faster than that the wake starts to disappear.

Comment

I go 19.8 on perfect pass.

After seeing some of these speeds, I am beginning to wonder?
                            I'm on a boat man. I got my flippy floppies....

Comment

yea I go 18.8 but I know my pp is 3 mph slow
                              Everything happens for a reason
                              I live my post whore life 30 seconds at a time

Comment

Working...
                              X