Proper turn around?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proper turn around?

When pulling a wake boarder or anyone else is there a proper way to turn around and pick em up after they fall? I dont really like mobbing a huge circle at 20 mph to just end up hitting your own wake plus creating a huge double up for all the others to worry about......I have heard that just coming to a slow stop then quickly giving the throttle a hit of gas with diminish the wake then just turn around and easily get your downed rider, is there any truth to this?
    http://images.snapfish.com/33%3A43%3...%3C26%3Aot1lsi 04 switch v

Everyone does it different. I usually whip the boat towards the drivers side and kill the throttle for a brief moment, then just tap the throttle to clear the wash of the wake, then go just above idle to retrieve the boarder. Creates hardly any rollers or waves, and gets the boarder back up and riding or back in the boat quickly. Its jsut a matter of trial and error. Eventually you will find a style that works for you. Some turn to the drivers side, some to the passenger side......some take a bigger turn that others. It also depends on what is happening around you.

Comment

It's so hard to say what is the best way to get it done, so long as you keep the guy in the water protected from other boats and don't take a roller that you have created over the bow (or some other part of the boat) I think that's all that matters.

Comment

when its warm and the rider isn't freezing, i cut the throttle to neutral after the rider falls reverse till i stop then turn idle speed and idle back to the rider. may take a little longer but believe it or not been saving gas doing it and you don't have to worry about the rollers

Comment

banks makes a good suggestion...not only do you save gas, rollers, etc, but it gives the rider time to "recooperate" after a nasty crash

another way to do it, this is really nice for D-drive owners....

when your rider falls, immediately turn to the right (or left) while pulling back on your throttle. Let the boat settle slightly as it comes to idle speed, then make a sharp turn back the opposite way. If you have done it correctly, you should be able to turn back to your rider without crossing almost any rollers! i guess similar to what Tige22ityper was saying.

Comment

If there is another oncoming boat I always turn quickly and place the boat between the boat and the rider otherwise I turn slowly slight power through my own wake and approach the ride slowly with the rider on the drivers side that way I can see the rider at all times therefore there is no chance of running over the rider.

Comment

the way the magazines talk about is to drop the throttle to allow your waves to pass you, thus not creating rollers, and then idle around. Of course if there are other boats in the water and I'm worried about them not seeing my boardr/skier, I kick the thing around and put my boat in front of the on coming and my boarder. Boats are only money, lifes are priceless!!!

Dom
              Originally posted by G-MONEY
              It hurts me to say it but go OU but only for this weekend!!!!

Comment

thanx for the info on the turnaround--beats boat and rider abuse.

Comment

Working...
                X