board recommendation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

board recommendation?

Is there a good board for beginners that we as a family could possibly share? I doubt it but thought I would ask.
    I am 6' 230lbs
    son is 5' 5" 110lbs

If not universal board what are pros/cons of a used board? How cheap can I go for a beginner.

The Broadcast worked well for us when we started. Our younger teenagers could use the board and our adults were able to learn how to get up and go ropeless.

Comment

A broadcast is a good beginner board for sure. Between you and your son though it would be better to have different sizes because if you get something that fits your size then your son will be constantly on the breaks when he rides it. If you get a board that fits him properly then you may never get to go ropeless. Use Craigslist and all the available local sites to see what you can pick up cheap for both otherwise. Learning is all about board, wake size, and balance in no particular order but they all matter.

Comment

sorry I was unclear. We do have a Braodcast.

I am also interested in getting a wakeboard.

Comment

Do you want a wakeboard or surfboard?

Comment

Wakeboard

Comment

You’re going to want two different boards. A board suited for your weight is going to ride very different for him.
              Guessing there’s a big difference in your foot sizes too so bindings will be an issue. He’s gonna want a 133-136
              While you’d be best suited on something bigger than a 141. Look around on Craigslist or eBay for affordable options. Ronix, hyperlite, CWB all make good boards.

Comment

Sorry, realized this was under the wakeboarding tab. Being your size as mentioned above anything over a 141 would be better for yourself. I haven't tried any of them yet but I'd really be interested in some of the newer over sized boards such as the Hyperlite Murray or Slingshot Nomad that come in a 150cm up to a 160cm. Being a snowboarder I always found wakeboards smaller than I wanted and being around 220lbs myself I usually had to ride a tad faster so I didn't feel like I was dragging a bit more.

Comment

Would an O'Brien Arsenal Helix 143 be a good first board? Local BassPro has one for ,$259.

I found a blemished HL Murrary for around $200 but no bindings...are bindings universal or do I need HL bindings for HL boards? Ronix bindings for Ronix boards...etc?

Comment

what about a CWB Jive 143?

O'Brien Fremont 143?

Comment

I did a lot of kneeboarding and skiing in my younger days, but I'm brand new to wakeboarding. I bought my son an '07 hyperlite era 142 off letgo with a nice handle and rope for $60. Had some old style bindings. Used it for a few weeks before I got mine.
                      Did a lot of reading before I bought a brand new one, educated myself on the sport. I'm 6'1", and an "athletic" 300lbs. I didn't want to spend a lot in case it didn't work for me, since from what I've read a fat wakeboarder is over 200. I also needed something my 12yo and wife could share with me.
                      I thought that the camber boards from Ronix sounded like the way to go. Found the 2015 bandwagon xl brand new online for $100, they still have some.(not sure of the rules on posting websites) Same site had some decent sale priced bindings also. Had to buy a couple pair so the wife and kids would be able to share the board.
                      The XL is 147cm. But wider than most boards, and the camber makes it ride a little easier, less back foot lean. I popped right up the first try and caught on pretty quick. Third time out, a lot of video tutorials, and quite a few major wipeouts, I'm just short of clearing the wake. I really like this board. But since it's my first board I don't have anything to compare it to. For $100 it was well worth it. My son was constantly catching an edge on the old board he started out with. Only happened a few times since switching to the Bandwagon. It's pretty forgiving. Pretty sure the newer style bindings helped him a little also.
                      It was getting old switching out bindings every time we switched riders, so I ordered the aircore version of the same model this week for just a little more. I'm pretty sure a Nomad is in my near future also.

Comment

I guess your son may be a bit small for the xl, but they do have the small for the same price. For $200 you both have boards

Comment

Working...
                        X