Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Board advice for a newish wakeboarder

Hi Guys,

I'm newish to wakeboarding, bought the boat last spring but spent most of the year surfing and probably only strapped on the wakeboard 3-4 times all year. Before that I've wakeboarded maybe 5-10 times. I'm pretty good on a snowboard however, and that helps transition on the water quite a bit. I'm able to carve easily and almost jump wake to wake (I think I need to shorten the rope for some confidence but thats another story).

I'm 6'5" and weigh 225-230lbs.

Right now for a board I have a custom Blindside with open toe bindings that are on the verge of being too small. The board is 144cm, could be 142 cm I will have to double check. The board came with the boat so that's what I wear. The problem that I'm having is that I don't feel stable on the board at all. Maybe I'm expecting it to feel like snowboarding when in reality its not? Its almost like I'm slipping around too much. Anyway my question for you guys is this: Does this sound normal? Is this how wakeboarding feels or is it a board issue? Is this just a comfort thing that experience will fix?

I'm looking at a used cheap board on my local craigslist. Its a Hyperlite Temet 142cm. It looks a bit wider in the body and has more fins on the bottom. Is it safe to say that this board would be better geared for a beginner like myself?

Opinions would be appreciated, I want to start wakeboarding more this year, thinking I might be more comfortable on a different board.

Pictures attached below.

Thanks!

Those are pretty old boards. A 142 is actually smaller than what someone your size would need to ride. The bindings on the Hyperlite are not going to give you the kind of support the newer bindings give to you. If you want I can put you in touch with a Hyperlite rep and get a new board around 400 with closed toe bindings. I got my 2016 Hyperlite Murray with CT bindings for $400. Online its 599

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

As far as riding and feeling comfortable it takes time. Start out riding 17mph crossing both wakes, keep good form, rope in and down, back straight and put some time out on the water. More comfortable you get bump the speed up

Comment

The more fins you've got, the stickier the board will feel

Comment

Originally posted by dustinsnipes View Post
          A 142 is actually smaller than what someone your size would need to ride.
          What would you suggest, 144? 150cm seems really big, but maybe it would fit me better?

Comment

Just curious I'm 6'3" 230lbs (trying to get down to 215 to help my boarding skills!��) and ride a Ronix Parks One Air Core 139. (It's actually a buddies board). I feel fine on it. I'm fairly new at wakeboarding simple wake to wake jumps and surface 180s. Would there we a benefit to getting a larger board for me? Get more Pop?

I have read a lot that it helps to have your own board so you can set it up the way it best fits you. My goal this year is to wake to wake all for ways and maybe a tantrum or 180s as I jump wake to wake. So I'm thinking I might need my own board. But with trying to push new tricks I am hesitant to get a bigger board than the 139 Ronix Parks. (I do like the bird a lot and don't have many chances to try other boards)

Comment

The longer the board the more control you will have and it's easier to learn new tricks, not all boards are made the same either though. I'm 5'10" 165lbs and I ride a 139 so that kind of gives you a idea. Ive taken lessons from pros and I always hear them tell people they are riding a smaller board than what they need. Anywhere from a 144-150 I don't think you can go wrong. As far as pop depends on what you ride behind. The Hyperlite Murray board has crazy pop just like the Bryely buck. But jumping wake to wake is all about your edge. Heelside jumps you want to cut out on your toes, level out for a few seconds then edge in while in a seated position keeping that edge all the way through and just stand tall at the top of the wake. If you use the right form and handle position in with a slight tug as you stand tall it takes very little effort to clear wake 2 wake. I've rode the Ronix parks air core last year but if you are riding behind a boat with a decant wake in don't think you need that much rocker in a board

Comment

I suggest watching some videos on YouTube from learnwake those guys do a great job in explaining different wake jumps

Comment

Not to hijack, but I've been out of the wakeboard game for awhile, as in, the last board I bought for myself is a 2003 Hyperlite Parks 143... Still have and ride it. Since we're talking longer boards, what do you guys know about Slingshot boards? From what I'm seeing they make the longest boards.. The Nomad gets up to the 160cm mark.

Comment

Most boards are not meant for your size. I'm 6' and the same weight. I've always rode the largest board possible. The new Hyperlite Murray and Slingshot Nomad really have my ears perked as I've always known someone our size would benefit from a larger board. The Slingshot is a flex board and would truthfully be a bit better as a cable board. Not to say you can't ride behind the boat but it will be a tad more loose even with fins and some question "pop" off a wake with a flex board being counter productive. Never rode a flex so I don't know. I'd look at the new Murray. I currently ride a few year old B-Side from Hyperlite and have always loved the board. I do like my boards a bit looser since I also snowboard but it just comes down to what you prefer. Honestly, you just need to go out and demo some boards to get an idea of what you like and don't like.
                    Last edited by BCRider; 05-16-2016, 11:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dustinsnipes View Post
                      Those are pretty old boards. A 142 is actually smaller than what someone your size would need to ride. The bindings on the Hyperlite are not going to give you the kind of support the newer bindings give to you. If you want I can put you in touch with a Hyperlite rep and get a new board around 400 with closed toe bindings. I got my 2016 Hyperlite Murray with CT bindings for $400. Online its 599

Man 400 is a great deal on a new Murray! I would love to get my hands on one. I would love that hook up!

Comment

Originally posted by dilligaf622 View Post
                        Man 400 is a great deal on a new Murray! I would love to get my hands on one. I would love that hook up!
                        Go in Instagram and talk to mrdearybury1 he is a Hyperlite/byerly sponsored rider and can hook you up. Tell him I told you to talk to him

Comment

Working...
                        X