Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Extending the season -- wetsuit? Drysuit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had the same decision to make and got a 5/4 wetsuit. (the first number is the thickness in mm of the chest section while the second number is for the arms and legs). I think mine is rated down to the 30's.

I've used it in 50 something water and felt awesome. Quite comfortable and warm. I paid around $200 CAD.

I've also got a cheap shorty from Costco for the low 60's.

Sent from my Passport

Comment

Hi,

I just bought an O'Neil Boost drysuit and have used it a few times. It's a revelation!

Underneath, I wear long johns and a couple of t-shirts. When I'm in the water, I literally cannot feel the cold. It's very weird to be in the water and not be wet! My feet are warm in the bindings and my hands are warm in waterski gloves. I try to keep my head dry but I sometimes fail ;-)

The bagginess (and captured air) make it harder to swim (even more than a wetsuit), but that's not why I'm in water. I leave some captured air to help my buoyancy.

And the best part: when I'm done, I take it off, and I'm dry and warm! I put on an insulated jacket and I enjoy the rest of the day. (I've heard of people who put on the drysuit at home, go boating, and don't remove it until returning home.)

Previously I used a shorty wetsuit, and I'd be cold in the water (though not as cold as without). After my ride, if I didn't remove the wetsuit and dry off completely (and then re-layer), I'd get pretty cold and start shivering.

So, I'm now a big fan of the drysuit!

Severin B.

Comment

I'm guessing a dry suit isn't nessisary with water in the upper 50's? Maybe just a 5/4 suit?

Comment

Xcel 5mm split toe booties are also a must in water below 50, I really love mine, the grip on the board is incredible

Comment

Working...
          X