Wakeboard???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wakeboard???

I am going to try to tackle wakeboarding this season. I believe I am an above average skier but understand that it is two different styles. I am trying to find a board that would give me the best chance of getting up and just riding and learning all this summer then upgrade maybe next summer.

I am 6'7", 200 lbs. What size board should I purchase?

Any other help would be greatly appreciated.
    "Well it's 1am, time to go home and spend some quality time with the kids."
    -Homer Simpson

My first board, last year, I got the Liquid Force Trip 146. I am 6' and at the time about 250#. It was easy to get up on. I have had bigger than me people on it as well as smaller. I am able to jump wake to wake on it now. For me it has been a board that has let me progress. There was a younger kid that used it and he is shorter and probably not much over 130# that was doing back flips with it.

I have seen a lot of people over on WW recommend it as well. When I was looking I had gone to several pro shops and told them what I was after, similar to what you have said and they all recommend the Trip.

Good luck on your search and have fun!

Comment

if it was me... and take this for what its worth.. rent a few boards at a place that will take your money and apply it to your purchase.

The reason i say this is pretty simple. Each board has its own strengths and weakness's meaning some are looser and some are more gripy and hold sharper\tighter in the water. After you ride a few you can judge how you liked the ride and what fits your style?

My take is get a feel for the kind of ride you like. I dont see you having any issues if you can ski already. getting up will be 10 times easier once you get the hang of it.. and from there it will be just adjusting from break neck across the wake to a nice glide and pop... haha

for your height and weight.. no less then a 143 and up and look toward 144 145 and 146.

anyhow my personal fav's are mostly ronix boards. I love my ronix colvin which is now chad sharpes viva, and the One.... those are nice hold a great edge... and most of my time is riding harley cliffords board. completely different feel.. much looser and crazy pop off the wake.
      2011 Tigé RZ4
      www.re-viveupholstery.com

Comment

Originally posted by gcombe74 View Post
        if it was me... and take this for what its worth.. rent a few boards at a place that will take your money and apply it to your purchase.

The reason i say this is pretty simple. Each board has its own strengths and weakness's meaning some are looser and some are more gripy and hold sharper\tighter in the water. After you ride a few you can judge how you liked the ride and what fits your style?

My take is get a feel for the kind of ride you like. I dont see you having any issues if you can ski already. getting up will be 10 times easier once you get the hang of it.. and from there it will be just adjusting from break neck across the wake to a nice glide and pop... haha

for your height and weight.. no less then a 143 and up and look toward 144 145 and 146.

anyhow my personal fav's are mostly ronix boards. I love my ronix colvin which is now chad sharpes viva, and the One.... those are nice hold a great edge... and most of my time is riding harley cliffords board. completely different feel.. much looser and crazy pop off the wake.
        Good advise. Some place will even let you take out a couple of boards at once so you can do easier comparisons. I know one of the pro shops around me will let you exchange the current year board for another one till July 31st.

I just picked up a Harley and can't wait to ride it, sounds like you like yours which is good news.

Comment

heck yeah skipuh.. you will love it... give it a few rides.. the first couple of times I rode it.. I was like freak what did I do.. why did i buy this... I was flying but it kinda whipped me around a bit.. but like the 3rd time out it just clicked and have rode it ever since.. and u can go way big... just wish I knew alot more tricks but you can fly for sure.
          2011 Tigé RZ4
          www.re-viveupholstery.com

Comment

Both the above gave great advise. In my area I was not able torent or try out any first. I bought an entry level board. It was loose and hard to learn on. I put larger fins on it to keep it tracking while I learned.

When fall came I got another very expensive board. It made all the difference in riding and progressing. I came from a skiing, surfing and windsurfing back ground. I thought I would just get up and ride. It was hard at first and the right board would have really made a difference.

I now ride a Hyperlite Mareck. Very loose, not very forgiving but has a lot of pop off the wake. Wish I was able to try others out as there are probably better ones out there.
            Wake Up or Stay On Shore!

Comment

The ronix district was a great first board. Easy to learn on and the performance was there when I started getting better.

Comment

The longer the board the better for a beginner? I have tried a coupleof times to get up on my wifes board, but she is 5'4 and about 125 pounds. And I have had no success using hers.
                -Homer Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by Tstick333 View Post
                  The longer the board the better for a beginner? I have tried a coupleof times to get up on my wifes board, but she is 5'4 and about 125 pounds. And I have had no success using hers.
                  The board sizes are based more on weight. The difference in beginners board versus advance board is the shaping of the board, rocker, channels, fins, etc..

What size is your wifes board? What board is it? How are you trying to get up or what is your technique? Last summer we had a bunch of family on our boat that have never wakeboarded and I have been teaching the scouts how to wakeboard. I have a brother that can ski but for the life of him couldn't get up on the wakeboard. We gave him some pointers and he was finally able to get up.

I would suggest checking out some youtube videos on starting to wake board.

Comment

The two biggest things that we see are people trying to stand up too quick and trying to pull yourself up with your arms. One thing that helps some people is to just barely put it in gear and start to pull slightly before you "hit" it.

To get up on a wakeboard, let the boat's momentum lift the board to the surface of the water, keep the heels down, toes up and hips forward. Get up on a wakeboard with tips from a water skiing instructor in this free video on water sports.

Comment

Search you tube and learntowakeboard.com. They helped out a lot when I was trying to learn.
                      Wake Up or Stay On Shore!

Comment

I am 6'3" 200lbs and just started riding last year. I bought a 142 Ronix One (2011) and really like it. I've ridden a few other boards but think the One is a great all around board and definitely one that you would not ever feel like it is holding you back where you would need to upgrade (although I prob will once the 2013 boards come out).

I think the bindings are as or more important than the board (except maybe fin size for tracking). I have the 2011 Ronix Relik and while I like the way they fit I sometimes get a cramp in the arch of my foot. It could be poor riding mechanics though as I haven't ridden that long. I like a snug boot. I tried the One boots a size up (12-13 if I remember) and really didn't like having the boot feel loose, especially around my toes.

There's lots of great deals to be had, especially on last years stuff but I'd try and get some help from a local board shop. You may spend a little more but the relationship is worth it.

Comment

At you height and weight a 143 to 146 cm board will work.Some good boards to learn on are the Liquid Force Trip and Witness,Ronix District,Hyperlite State,CWB Faction and Marius.All of those boards have a continuous rocker and at least 4 fins.Boards with center fins will lock you in more.Boards with dual center spines will land softer.Boards with more Rocker pop harder.
                          I do all my own stunt work. hey ya'll watch dis.

Comment

UPDATE:

My wife just purchased me a Ronix District board. It's a 138cm board. U guys think that will work? Or should I send it back for the 143cm?

Refresher:
                            I am 6'7 and weigh 200 pounds. I am a beginner when it comes to wakeboarding.

Thanks for any help or direction.
                            -Homer Simpson

Comment

Working...
                            X