Wakeboarding Speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wakeboarding Speed

I am always taking beginners out or people not as good as I am, which I really enjoy teaching new people to wakeboard, however I think it hurts my ability to grow. So, I have been riding at 21 for the last few years. The last few times out I took people that were better than me and they convinced me to ride faster. I bumped it up to 22 and what a difference 1 mph makes! The wake is cleaner, I fly higher and longer and make my w2w jumnps with ease, where at 21 I felt like I had to edge out real hard and really load the rope to make a w2w jump. The one guy is trying to get me to go 23, maybe next weekend? I am so excited to get back out there again and tear it up, I have that excitrment again of starting something new, I can't wait to start trying some new tricks, maybe an invert?
    Friends don't let friends POWERTURN

I am always taking beginners out or people not as good as I am, which I really enjoy teaching new people to wakeboard, ( ME TO I have a r20 I put the taps at 7 helps me get more pop and speed at 22.5 with the new people I go 18 with no taps

Comment

My 9 year old son rides at 60' and 22.5MPH. How long is your rope Dave?
      Are you weighting your boat too? Or just stock ballast? Rope length primarily, but that will have an effect on your speed as well.
      Waiting for another good one!

Comment

I ride with my buddy who is a semi pro. And loaded down (appx 4500lbs) we ride at 82.5' at between 25.5 and 26. That's with stargazer so it's right on.

Comment

IMO what prevents a lot of riders from progressing is speed and rope length. Don't get me wrong, taking a digger at 23 vs 21 definitely hurts more, but you will find riding just that 2mph faster will drastically improve your consistency when its time to start learning w2w jumps.

Comment

If i ride with no weight in the boat i go 22.5 MPH Taps on 6 on a 75' rope.If i ride with Pro Ballast 2000lbs i ride at 24.5 MPH Taps on 4 on a 85' rope'If you increase Taps or weight you need to increase speed.WITH speed increase you usually have to lengthen the line to hit the sweet spot of the wake.Everyone likes a different shape to their wake.Just ask the guys on wakeworld.LOL
            I do all my own stunt work. hey ya'll watch dis.

Comment

I am riding on 65'. One of the better guys suggested I go to 70' or 75' especially if I bump it up to 23. I have stock ballast-900lbs I think?-ride with it all full now. Ride at 22 taps 4-5. Was previously riding at 21 front sacs full TAPS at 3. We have a new girl on a friend's boat with an awesomne camera, I need her to ride with us and take some good pics, so I can post them here.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave S View Post
                I am riding on 65'. One of the better guys suggested I go to 70' or 75' especially if I bump it up to 23. I have stock ballast-900lbs I think?-ride with it all full now. Ride at 22 taps 4-5. Was previously riding at 21 front sacs full TAPS at 3. We have a new girl on a friend's boat with an awesomne camera, I need her to ride with us and take some good pics, so I can post them here.
                Post them up and we can see if your in the sweet spot.Just get a picture of whoever at the wake.

Comment

I ride at 80' at 25mph taps at 7 and 900#s ballast and the wake is sweet. can get way out in the flats!

Comment

Wow, If I get my taps anywhere near 7 the wake gets a lip with 900# in it. But that is at 22.4.

I may have to try to speed up a little.
                    I'm on a boat man. I got my flippy floppies....

Comment

lancehon how certain are you that your rope plus handle is 80ft? With your rope length, ballast, and speed set up, you could probably benefit from bumping your speed down and taking in 5 ft on your rope. The one time we were doing that speed and riding an 80 ft rope, we had close to 4k lbs in the boat. The goal isn't necessarily to ride faster at a longer rope, it's about setting your speed according to the amount of weight in your boat that maximizes the quality of the wake. Only after that do you set the rope out to get the best length for the wake.

Comment

I may not be able to get pics till next weekend. Riding at my spot usually is terrible on holiday weekends and the photo opp girl is out of town right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave S View Post
                          I may not be able to get pics till next weekend. Riding at my spot usually is terrible on holiday weekends and the photo opp girl is out of town right now.
                          Don't worry we can wait.

Comment

I like the faster speeds, I usually sky ski at 25 mph too which is cruising. the wake at 25-26 turns to wash about 1foot behind me.

Comment

Bobby, that seems really fast, I like rope at 80ft and 23mph with 3500lbs! You and your buddy should come down to Lewiston and hit the river this month or next. We ride til end of October here in the valley, water stays pretty nice!! You'll be done by now up north.

Comment

Working...
                              X