Sort of a beginner with some ?'s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

malarson-
    what type of board were you riding before you picked up the state?

Another question on line length-My Accurate has a 50ft nonstretch section and then has a 5ft like lowstretch. Does that lowstretch section have to be there or can i take it off. I'm just worried since it seems to be slightly different type of rope, I don't know if i will snap the line or anything if i take it off. Any thoughts?

Rode quite a bit this weekend. I think my edging may have improved some. My toeside definitely felt better after concentrating on your guys points but i am now having trouble landing the toeside. It seems like when i land my board is too flat and it just slides out from under me. Also tried a 180 in the air, crashed twice, landed but couldn't ride through once, and then i tried to really get into the air so i would have more time. I pitched myself up pretty good and managed to smack the back of my head on the water real hard. Any tips on this simple but challenging step of progression. The water got pretty choppy from boat traffic after that so it was the end of my experience. Now my neck is stiff and killing me, but i still can't wait for next weekend.

Comment

through my years of wakeboarding, i started out behind an old 1976 galaxy tri-hull boat, pulling right off the back of the boat. i never was able to clear the wake being pulled from that low. then i had the chance to ride behind something pretty much like an old centurion, with a pylon. with that boat at about 23 mph, a 55 ft straighline rope, and no fat sacs what so ever, i am able to clear the wake with ease. over the last 2 summers, i was riding behind that boat, and a 2001(or maybe its an 02) 22 either v or i R edition. no ballasts with a tower, same rope length and the taps all the way up at 8. the wake on the tige using the taps is quite a bit bigger. i can clear the wake with ease from either my heel, or toe side, i usually just have trouble holding on to the toe side landing. and to this day, if i were to ride behind my own galaxy being pulled from down low, i cant clear the wake. oh, i am also riding a 2001 Bad *** Mantis 141 board with hyperlite boots. one year i test rode a bunch of boards on lake mead, and this board rode way better than the hyperlite byerly. this past summer i test rode an obrien oasis 142, which was pretty sick too. good carving, with really good pop off the wake.

Comment

Ear Protection?

I was ridding this weekend and took a relatively normal fall, but somehow managed to slap the water with my right ear. I burst the ear drum and ended up sitting in the ER for several hours to get pain killers.

Does anyone have any ideas on any type of ear protection to prevent such an accident? Will a helmet protect you from this?

Thanks,

Rodg

Comment

Pro Tec makes a Wake helment that has removable ear flaps.

Comment

i burts my first ear drum at the beach (right ear) was going to the rvier to do some wakeboarding 2 weeks later. i found some earplugs at a surf shop called Docs Prop Plugs
            you can also find them at www.proplugs.com
            infortunately that week i was riding with a plug only in my injured ear and took a fall to my left ear and ruptured it. rode the rest of the week just fine with both plugs in. have been using the plugs for the last couple years and they work great. they have the option of a leash, i usually use the leash tied to a cheap necklace so i dont loose them. a fall will sometimes knock them out or waves surfing will, but they will definately prevent damage to your eardrums. oh, and if they fit right they shouldnt fall out at all.

Comment

Lee & Noregrets,

I just purchased a pro tec ace helmet a few minutes ago. I take it that you like yours? I read numerous user comments and they brought up some points that I had never thought of, like getting hit by the board.

However, I am also going to purchase a set of the proplugs as well. I have numerous friends that like to ride, and I am not sure they can all aford a helmet. At least I can help protect them from the serious discomfort of a ruptured ear drum. This really stinks being deaf in my right ear!

Thanks guys!

Comment

if you hold your nose and put pressure on your ears can you make dolphin sounds with the air blowing out? i could. after the pain was gone it was pretty fun! good job lookin out for your friends too!

Comment

That eardrum thing sux.
                  It will take a while to heal. I did the same thing when I was a kid diving. I attempted a 2 1/2 w/a twist and didnt get around all the way and landed right on my ear.
                  It sucked for about 3 weeks.

Comment

I think that I will pass on the dolphin noises, thanks for the idea though.

How long does it normally take for a ruptured ear drum to heal?

Rodg

Comment

it doesnt hurt to make the dolphin noises. at least it didnt for me. after all the water flushed out the pain was gone. it usually takes about 3 to 4 weeks for them to heal. like i said before, i blew out both ears one summer. and then i blew one of them out again about 2 years later. just be careful not to get any water in there, ohterwise you get the pain again.

Comment

Thanks for the info! I must not have ruptured it too badly as the ringing is starting to fade and I am actually getting some hearing coming back. What stinks though is I have allergies and the hearing in my left ear gets reduced b/c of sinus pressure and mucus.

Comment

Working...
                        X