Tricks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tricks

Is it possible to learn a whirly bird in three days at the OWC with having one day with four lessons and the other two just to practice?
    I've learned other things in a day like a toeback to revert and a hs front flip, but there's a big diff right?

I think you can do it. If you can throw a tantrum and/or of axis 360, you should be able to learn it in one solid day of trying. Just wear a helmet so your day isn't ended early

Comment

you guys must be rocking!! I'm still trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong with my jumps. I can't get much higer, and I always have to really jump up to get it. I thuoght the wake should just launch me up. I think I have an idea to try, but it's too dang cold now. They were forcasting 60's on sat, so I was gonna go, but now this artic blast is coming and who knows what I'll get to do

dom
      Originally posted by G-MONEY
      It hurts me to say it but go OU but only for this weekend!!!!

Comment

if your having trouble work on doing a progressive edge, but don't follow typical method.
        get out about 10 to 15 feet away from the wake slow cut then as you get to the dip lay the board in as hard as you can, when you get to the top of the wake release the tension and hold on.
        note watch out how much you release, get used to it slowly cause if you release it to hard you will throw an air railey.

Comment

I agree with Banks, sounds like an edging issue. I use to take a wide progressive edge and always flatten the board out right as I was hitting the wake. A friend of mine showed me to take a small cut, like around 10 feet and edge all the way through the wake and it made an enormous difference. You also have to keep that line full of tension too. Sometimes people who start wakeboarding with a nice sized wake tend to be sloppy on their technique as opposed to people who started with small wakes. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Matt...that is hilerous. I had that EXACT same problem. I would cut way out, then come hauling *** into the wake, but since I would plane the board out just before the wake I wasn't getting much air. Not to mention I would be winded after a few jumps.

Comment

Wow, same problem I had. I used to cut out almost alongside the boat and cut in hard then let up as I would hit the wake. Im having trouble landing backroles because when I keep an edge all the way through the wake I tend to lean to far back and I end up spinning and turning and all that good stuff and landing on my face in the water without the rope. If anyone can give me any tips or lessons or whatever come ride with me on Lewisville...
              www.dallaswakeboarding.com

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm gonna go try that this weekend(if it warms up a bit) I have noticed that I'm always tired after about 20 minutes of boarding. (i'm in pretty good shape since I run daily) So basically I should shrink my wake and then try and go about ten feet out and come in hard. Keep tension on the rope, and keep on the edge all the way to to the top? Thanks for the info.

Dom

David,

If you find anyone that will teach ya, I'd be willing to through in money, food, gas, beer etc if your interested or they are as well. Thanks

Dom
                Originally posted by G-MONEY
                It hurts me to say it but go OU but only for this weekend!!!!

Comment

I had a problem with my legs absorbing some of the pop off the wake, so one of my buddies told me to keep my legs extended. I tried that and it made a BIG diff.
                  Freude am Fahren.

Comment

There's a new instructional on WakeWorld for whirlys, including a video of the trick from 2 angles.

http://www.wakeworld.com/tricklist/tricktip024.asp

Comment

david,
                      had the same issue with my backrolls. sounds like your actually trying to "throw" the roll. try doing a regular wake jump except that as you leave the wake put your ear to your shoulder. not forward or back, just straight down to your shoulder (ear and shoulder of riection your rolling) ie. if you ride regular and are heelside, put your right ear to your right shoulder. as you are about 3/4 of the way around, pull your head up straight and drop your legs straight down, this will help keep you from overotating. if you have a problem going revert (switch) on landings, make sure you keep both hands on the handle.

Comment

domslude -
                        if your an ex- slalom guy like i am. you may have had the same issue i did (as others here have) the only additional thing i experineced was that when i cut in (way too hard) i felt like i was going to sink. coming from slalom at 36mph and slowing to 23-24 for wakeboarding and using a slalom cut, my board would submarine. others here are right, slowly approach the wake (just let the boat pull you bake in) until the last 2 feet or so, then cut. as you get to the mid point of the wake, straighten your legs (not jump). this should send you flying!

Comment

blr,

Thanks, that helps alot...! Hopefully I'll get to put it to work today at the lake!
                          www.dallaswakeboarding.com

Comment

to all with the pointers.
                            Thanks I went last weekend and tried to use your tips (being a slalom skier and just picking up wakeboarding) I find myself forming unproductive habits as the 2 sports are extremely different in ride styles. I did get better air. Will keep working on this. BTW lewisville was a balmy 63 degree water temp. It was quite refreshing on the numerous eye opening falls.
                            Thanks again

Comment

glad to hear that helped! riding is much more fun when you can tell your making progress. the slalom thing does hinder the boarding, i actually dropped slalom skiing about a year ago (after a boat on a crowded lake went right through my ski). good luck! ps -63??? wow that is like mid june water here. we went friday with 41 in the water.

Comment

Working...
                              X