First Wakeboard - Multiple Users- Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Wakeboard - Multiple Users- Advice

I have been a waterskier for 40 years but it is time to finally try wakeboarding. I also want to get one so my 13 year-old can give it a try. I'd rather not spend too much initially until I know that we like it. Ideally, I'd like to get something that would work for his 8 and my 12.5 shoe size.

Are the entry-level boards with straps vs. boots worth a darn?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Tigedane

Every person will have a different preference on boards and boots... If there is a good Wakeboard proshop around you then that is the FIRST place you should check. They can give you hands on advice and show you what you need to know. A good boardshop should be able to resolve anything you throw at them!!!

Where are you located??

Comment

We live in Flower Mound, TX and our boat is on Lake Grapevine. I think there is a ski/board shop in Grapevine.

Thanks,
      D

Comment

I'm not sure if there is a boot that spans those sizes, you could always buy two inexpensive boards and if it doesn't pan out then sell them and maybe not take too bad a loss...........I think you'll find it addicting though
        "I feel sorry for people that don't drink, when they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Comment

I agree with FAST, if you really start doing it then it is addicting. Everyone we have taught now begs us to keep helping them learn more advanced stuff, the bottum line is that it is very fun and addicting.

Comment

Originally posted by tigedane View Post
            We live in Flower Mound, TX and our boat is on Lake Grapevine. I think there is a ski/board shop in Grapevine.

Thanks,
            D
            I agree about going to a good board shop first. Try The Slalom Shop off of I35. They will let you demo boards and bindings. Also their shop has a huge selection of gear and a knowledgeable staff. http://slalomshop.com/content05.asp?nav=96316&

The best bet is to get bindings for each of you.

Comment

I was in your same boat, no pun intended, about 3 years ago. I grew up on a slalom ski, barefooted, kneeboarded, etc. I tried wakeboarding and got hooked. The pull on your body at 22 mph is much less than at 30+ on a slalom ski. I bought a CWB with the hinge bindings and love it. For the first season, my son - 8 at the time used it too. Wasn't ideal but it was fine for learning.

It has been really fun to be learning tricks at the same time and pace as my son. I have no illusions that next year he will dust me, but it is fun while it lasts!

Comment

I would honestly suggest going on Craigslist and getting some used gear. You can find stuff out here really cheap. There are so many different designs out there it is retarded. The board will not make all that much difference until you start doing wake to wake jumps consistently and beyond.

The board I have that works great for everyone is a (2002ish) 140 Belmont with XL Byrley Bindings. My brothers have size 12 feet the bindings are snug on them, but work good with some slime. My girl friend has a size 8.5 shoe (womens) and she uses the same board. It isn't ideal, but she isn't doing huge tricks where it matters much. The board is a bit big for her too, but again it works and she's not going crazy out there.

I'd get a board for you since you are the bigger one. Once your son begins progressing then you can get him a fancy new board and bindings, and you still have a board that works good for you.

Comment

Demo to get your size and desired bindings, then get thrifty and buy two boards, your size difference and preference will have you changind foot position all the time....annoying. Goondoggle 07/08 closeouts and save some $$ no one knows when chit came out unless you leverageed the farm to get it!

Comment

Working...
                  X