beginner boarders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

beginner boarders

hope to have our first boat by this weekend.
    I have two boy's 11 and 15, one is 5', 95 lbs and the other around 5'11 at 130. I am 6', 190 pounds. I's there a board size that would accomodate all of us begenners?

Im not an expert by any means but have learned to ride in the last few years and just giving you some of what i have figured out.

First off it will be very awkward maybe difficult for your son (the younger) to control a board that will be made to fit a rider your size. Most board lengths correspond with a rider weight, and even those ratings depend on the manufacturer, profile, bouyancy, and such.

When wakeboarding there can be a good difference in models and riding; once you progress you may want to get a more advanced board so keep prices in mind when making choices.

A good place to start would be at a local Board Shop if there is one, and good boards to look at to begin and learn on might be a CWB, Hyperlite, or Liquid Force. Each brand offers models to fit many types of riding. So if possible talk to someone and try to set up a demo of a few boards you are interested in so that you dont end up with something you dont like. Since size/weight is a key factor in board size getting one board for yourself and two sons may not be plausible, but if you find one that will accomodate then congrats!!

Next topic will be bindings... each of the previous brands offers bindings and bindings are interchangeable between boards. So this part is much easier to decide on right now. CWB offers the "HingeTech" boots which i have seen to be durable and comfortable.

Again im no expert but just throwing some ideas out there to play with, good luck!!

Comment

what about the boards I see at Academy? Worth anything?

Comment

Wouldnt say worthless by any means, do you know what kind of boards??

And like i said to begin and learn you certainly dont go top of the line... Academy has the boards to sell, but the employees certainly wouldnt know as much about the sizes, fitting, ride, channel design... and stuff like that as would a wakeboard shop.

Comment

CWB Sol would be a great biginner boats for you and your oldest son. As for the youngest, I think the charger would be great from a CWB board also.

CWB does have one of the best if not the best warranty in the industry.

Comment

don't know what brands they carry off hand. Guess I'll have to do some homework on gear. We'll need it all!!

Comment

I'm in Houston, Tx. Where would be a good place to look at gear and get some good help with brands and board/ski selection?

Comment

Im from Lubbock but know everyone that works at our boardshop and some of them commonly recommend M2 sports, which has its own lake to demo stuff on and would be very knowledgable about the specifics that you will need to know but they will be carrying the Ronix, Hyperlite, and Liquid Force boards most commonly i think. Those are the middle and upper line boards but LF would have something good to look into. The other shop is Texas Tige; they look to have CWB so those will be a little less pricey but def make some good boards. Connely has always been a top ski brand and they make a nice wakeboard as well. I would probably say try Texas Tige first and just find someone that can give you some sizes of boards to look at and some demo rides if possible.

Comment

what makes a beginner board? Is it the length/width ratio or something?
                  If I go to Academy what formula (if there is such a thing) would I use to determine a board.

Comment

My kids are not going to know the difference between a CWB (whatever that is) and a piece of plywood as long as the paint job is trick. Know what I mean. As they progress, then I'll get something nice.

Thanks guy's

Comment

Most of what makes a beginner board is its control, it will have fins and channels to pattern the flow of water under it so that it maintains a steady and solid control. As boards get more advanced the channels and fin patterns can change.

You will want to find a board that offers good control so that while learning you can work on the fundamentals of riding rather than having to constantly worry about what the board is doing. You want consistency in a board, so maybe a continuous rocker design. Also a 3-4 channel pattern and some fins that will allow the board to be easily controled.

Comment

The length and width are just a rider preference thing, but most of the preference comes from weight and comfort. So a bigger board is needed for a full size man where a smaller (132 cm) could be used for a kid. I weigh about 155 and ride a 144cm board but am looking to down size to the same -board in a 139 because the size makes control more difficult.

Comment

I certainly would recommend going to a pro shop over Academy. Here area few benefits why.

One thing to think about is if your binding or board breaks your shop will most likely replace it that day. Also know that bindings are prone to tearing often.

Some pro shops allow you to demo the boards for a fee. That fee goes toward the purchase of your board.

A good pro shop will have people who also wakeboard as well so they can give you great suggestions.

For the kids I would recommend one board. One between 135cm - 138cm. For you I would recommend a board that is 140cm-142cm.

Comment

Find the boards you want then look at evogear.com
                            They have unreal prices on closeouts.
                            I have 3 boards from there and could not be happier with price/service. The closeouts are about half of what everyone else wants.
                            Biggest lake addict on the planet

Comment

I would like to say that if you go to a local boardshop and they spend the time to help you figure out what you want - please reward them with the sale. You will likely be able to find the same setups for cheaper online, but at least give them the chance to do their best to come close on a price. If you use their expertise and then buy elsewhere, you have no one to blame but yourself if they are not open for business the next time you need help.

Comment

Working...
                              X