Rope Length: Talk To Me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rope Length: Talk To Me

I had 8 people in my 20i today and decided to run the rope off the back of the boat instead of the pylon just so people would have more room. My sense was that with the extension on the 75' rope it felt too long. I took out 2 lengths and that seemed short. Anyway, we had a great time, but I realized that I really am not sure what the various factors are as far as rope length and what like to know what you guys view as "optimal" for recreational skiing. Thanks!

Hey billys. Rope length is all about personal preference, but we normally ski with 22' to 28' off (2-3 sections).

Comment

So 25' off means the nominal length is 50", right? (I am just getting used to this lingo).

Can someone summarize the effects of shorter vs longer for recreational skiing (I understand that for comp skiing it's a different equation). Is it mostly about where you want to be relative to what the wake is doing?

thx.

Originally posted by Weil Thing View Post
      Hey billys. Rope length is all about personal preference, but we normally ski with 22' to 28' off (2-3 sections).

Comment

For recreational its just personal preference. Find a length where the wake is managable.

The sections are more for tournament skiing
        Common Sense is not so Common
        Looking for fat chicks for long walks, romance, cheap buffets, and BALLAST.

Comment

If you have skiers who are getting too much slack in the rope as they cut back to the wake from the outside, you can shorten the rope some to help alleviate this. Also, as zad said, if the wake has a sweet spot where it flattens out better for you, try it there. I've never skiied in competition, but do ski hard, and the speed that you pick up from the shorter line lengths is a rush as well

Comment

Slack in the rope can also be caused from pulling too long outside the wake.
            Common Sense is not so Common
            Looking for fat chicks for long walks, romance, cheap buffets, and BALLAST.

Comment

35-off is the best open water length to run. Huge speed from just a good leverage position, low effort because the edge changes are right behind the boat, and you get carried all the way up to the driver on one side and the observer on the other

You can ski that length a long way in open water. Plus the wakes are flat as a table top.

Comment

My for recreational open water slalom is to have the rope long enuff that the skier is a few feet behind the rooster tail. Depending on the speed that could be somewhere in the neighborhood of 15' off or maybe 22' off. Any shorter than that and you might be sitting on top of the rooster tail and have to go to one side or the other which sucks if your rider wants to stay directly behind the boat for a breather. For aggressive open water course type riding i like to be just inside the rooster tail. Hope that helps!

Comment

Thanks all! Very helpful info.

Comment

I have a 04 20i and ski at 15 off 30mph , with taps at 2 which puts me just where a rooster tail would be on any other brand of boat . Skill level will dictate rope length but 15 off is a good starting point.

Comment

Working...
                    X