Radar slalom skis versus connelly real world comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Radar slalom skis versus connelly real world comparison

As it says I've been a long time connelly ski guy as that's what most friends had growing up so I continued to ski on a connelly. I've been on many models excluding the F1. I currently ride a carbon V which is a few steps below the F1 and rode a F3 for several years.

Curios as I've read through many old threads about the radar skis and how badazz they are! Is it just brand preference or are they that good and what model do you ride or recommend? I know the radar skis come with a price, but I'm willing to pay for a good ski! I'm mainly a recreational open water skier and have never done buoys but hope to start on occasion running a course. I ski 33-34mph and usually 15 off and sometimes as much as 22 off at most. Would love to have a ski that would take me to another level!

I know it's a lost art but there are a few of you on here that share the passion so enlighten me please! Also any deals or place you know of for ski's would be great!

I sound similar to your situation. I ski a little slower, 32 mph 15 off as well. I have only skied Connelly skis until my current Radar. My previous ski was a Concept and a Shortline prior to that.

I purchased a Senate C 2 years a go and instantly noticed a difference for the better. I'm not chasing buoys either so I can't quantify any improvement. I just enjoy riding that ski more than anything else. Even my son enjoyed it and he rarely rides a slalom ski. The boots are different the ski rides differently. I wish I could articulate why it is so much fun, but it just is for me. I would buy another Radar ski and don't think it's just Hype of another brand. IMO it is legit.

Good luck with your search. Here is a link, to the thread, when I purchased my ski new.
    http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...ighlight=radar
    Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

As a long time HO guy, I've always wanted to have a go on a Radar. I'd love to buy a new ski as my HO Vengeance was just to get me back into slalom after a long hiatus. It's too big and fat and the Approach bindings suck. I'd be interested to see some more real world reviews.
      You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

Sounds familiar Nickypoo - I have a Connelly Big Daddy - also too big and fat. Easy to ride, but even when I ask her to speed up, it still feels slow. Almost feels like a wakeboard converted to a ski.

Comment

^^^Yup. I got rippin deal on it as it was a demo but now it feels like old Suburban.

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAllen View Post
            I sound similar to your situation. I ski a little slower, 32 mph 15 off as well. I have only skied Connelly skis until my current Radar. My previous ski was a Concept and a Shortline prior to that.

I purchased a Senate C 2 years a go and instantly noticed a difference for the better. I'm not chasing buoys either so I can't quantify any improvement. I just enjoy riding that ski more than anything else. Even my son enjoyed it and he rarely rides a slalom ski. The boots are different the ski rides differently. I wish I could articulate why it is so much fun, but it just is for me. I would buy another Radar ski and don't think it's just Hype of another brand. IMO it is legit.

Good luck with your search. Here is a link, to the thread, when I purchased my ski new.
            http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...ighlight=radar
            I read through this before posting and saw your ski. Nice looking whip btw. Being a connelly guy for so many years it's taking a lot of research to figure out the different radar names and their lineup. Not as easy as the connelly one where they number the skis or did years ago that is.

Thanks for your thoughts thoughts as the concept is similar to my carbon V. The senate c looks to be a huge improvement on ride over it or my current ski.

What bindings do you guys recommend with a radar as I like both to be full bindings? I've never tried a closed toe ski binding.

Comment

Originally posted by D&P Powell View Post
              Sounds familiar Nickypoo - I have a Connelly Big Daddy - also too big and fat. Easy to ride, but even when I ask her to speed up, it still feels slow. Almost feels like a wakeboard converted to a ski.
              I wish the competition skis would come out of the water like a big daddy though, especially the older and heavier I get

Comment

^^^haha, yup. I don't even get my hair wet on my fat man ski.

Comment

My ski has Vector bindings. I think they are great. Not really a learning curve with them, for me.
                  Different feeling than the high wrapped neoprene ones.

If I were looking at a replacement ski. I would look at the Radar Alloy Vapor. Try to find a deal with the bindings together. Or you could always try the used route at ski-it-again.

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAllen View Post
                    My ski has Vector bindings. I think they are great. Not really a learning curve with them, for me.
                    Different feeling than the high wrapped neoprene ones.

If I were looking at a replacement ski. I would look at the Radar Alloy Vapor. Try to find a deal with the bindings together. Or you could always try the used route at ski-it-again.
                    Funny you say that as I added an Alloy vapor with green vector bindings with a protective bag to my overtons shopping cart. Along with their 20% off I can come in a little shy of 1K mark which is about what I wanted to spend for my next ski.

Looked at a lot of sites in the last few days and it seems the vapor will be a step up from my connelly but not so much that I will hate it in open water. Would love to have the graphite or lithium vapor but they are just way to much ski for my ability.

The radar site actually has decent pricing on package deals and would be cheaper if it weren't for free shipping and % off at overtons.

Comment

Wow! A vapor should be a serious stick to swerve on. I can't wait till you get it and try it out.
                      What length did you get?

Comment

Went with a 67" again. My connelly carbon v is a 67 and I like the length. I had a 68" years ago and it seemed to long. I'm a little heavier now but think it should be fine. Hope to have it here by end of next week. Wish I still had the DD to try it behind! Have a friend with one so will have to bum a pull otherwise its just the Z3 and its makes cutting a challenge to say the least!

Comment

Got the new whip in last week after a run around by overtons! A week after I ordered overtons emailed stating they cancelled ordered. 30 min phone call later they stated they couldn't get the ski or bindings Luckily I called wake effects at LOTO who are a radar dealer and the guys were able to hook me up in just a few days with a 16 model for a good price.

Anyway love the ski it has a total different feel then a connelly. Ran 4-5 long passes with it over a 2 day wkend which is rare for me to ski that much on my old connely.
                          The ski is fast and turns better then my connelly did and the bindings are unbelievably comfortable where the connelly would hurt my feet after just one pass. Can't wait to run a course or attempt a course that is

Radar Alloy Vapor
                          IMG_5523.jpg

No pro but do my best. pics are behind my z3 with several ppl in boat so wave was a bit large!
                          IMG_5549.jpg

IMG_5551.jpg

IMG_5552.jpg

Comment

Glad you like the new ski and love the pictures! It is working well for you. They do feel different, a better kind of different.
                            It's going to be a great season.

Comment

Nice glass. I love to hear that people are still free skiing behind wake boats.

Comment

Working...
                              X