Help with New Ski for the Fiancee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with New Ski for the Fiancee

So I think its time for my fiancee to get her own ski. She likes my ski, but I know the boots are too large and the ski might be too. I would prefer to surprise her with a ski and not have her pick one out.

She is not chasing balls, but progressing very quickly. She weighs about 125, 5'-10", and open water skis at 30 mph. She is currently using my 67" Connelly F1X and likes it, but would prefer something with smaller bindings. She has no trouble with deep water starts and will not ski anything with a RTP. I'm looking at getting a more women's specific ski for her.

We also have a 67" Radar Theory but she does not like the way it turns, too slow, not responsive enough when compared to the Connelly.

I've been eyeing the Radar Lyric for her, but from Radar's website it looks like the Lyric is lower in performance than the Theory (usually websites list their skis in order of performance). But it looks like the Lyric is just as narrow as the Senate, so maybe its just the way they laid it out.

Does anyone have a ski that your wife, or other really love? With her weight and size should I go with a 65" or 67". I'm leaning towards a 65".

If she likes your connelly, she's not going to enjoy a lower end ski. Check Barts or Overtons for a Connelly Concept. Pretty fogiving and able to run into mid-deep shortline. (I've ran 4 at 32 off with mine). She's quite tall, and if she is progressing quickly, a low-mid range stick is going to stunt her progress. I suggest Connelly because she already knows the feel of it. I suggest the Concept, as it's a ski she can keep for a very long time.

UPDATE: Overtons has them for $449. For her weight and height, she can ride the 66" really easily. A 67" may prove sluggish.
    Last edited by bigdaddy_houseboater; 05-24-2012, 05:51 PM.
    So this monkey walks into a bar...

Comment

Good points. I really like the technology going into Radar skis, that is why I was leaning towards the Lyric. Do companies usually make top of the line women's specific skis really that far off part with the male couterparts? The Lyric is 0.2" wider than their top of the line ski, the Strada, I guess I was thinking it was a more high performance women's ski.

Maybe I'll head to a ski shop and see what they think.

Comment

Ski for fiancee

Connelly concept 66 or 65 and she will love you forever!! Ok, a bit dramatic. I do think that would be an upgrade for her over the 67 F1X. I ski the 66 weigh 170 and am 5'9" and notice a huge difference in response from the 67 Concept to the 66. Have the RTP and would love to boot up on back foot which would make my 66 Concept perfect.

Comment

The write up on the SP makes it sound like it has the features of the Concept, but is built for the ladies?
          http://www.connellyskis.com/connelly_slalom_ski_sp.php
          Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

Connelly

Yep, looks like the ski for the lady. Note the 64 or 66 inch size. If it's less spendy than the Concept, it's a win-win!

Comment

So after skiing Friday, Saturday, and Sunday with her this weekend we've talked about it. She really likes my ski, the 67" F1X, but hates my boots as they are too big for her feet.

Solution -> Buy a set of double boots for her feet and mount them on the F1X. Buy a new 65" or 66" Radar Vice for myself, and throw my old bindings on them. Its a win win in my book .

Comment

Just ordered a 65" Vice for me should be here Monday .
                I guess we are going boot shopping this weekend for the lady.

Comment

The new ski didn't come in Monday , I made it out last night with the old ski, and on the fourth set I broke my front binding. Not a great evening. My friend ended up getting all six as the sun set at 35 mph.

FedEx came to my door this morning and dropped off a box . Now the question is do I fix the old bindings and swap them, or just get a new set? I want to ski it so freaking badly!

Here's a picture of the old and new.

And one while waiting for my friend to get to the course last night.

Comment

Hey Joe where ya going with that ski in your hand... Anyways nice choice Joe. I like the Vice what else did you try, Strada ? I ended up on the HO S2 this year. Glad to see you are still chasing buoys. oh and my wife is on the P6 women's.

Comment

In all honesty I didn't try any skis, I wish I had, but I found an insane deal on a 2011 that I couldn't pass up. I did a ton of online skiing trying to read what fit my type of riding. I am a true believer that I will enjoy almost any ski as long as it fits your ability, especially with the amazing rants and reviews. Little binding and fin adjustments will bring it around to your style.

I ended up getting two sets of Vector bindings too at a local MC dealer, I didn't realize they stocked and demoed Radar gear...one set for the new ski and a smaller set for my old ski which my fiancee is now using.

Had a wedding last weekend and didn't get to jump in the water with it, and now I'm playing catch up with work, but I'm absolutely dying to give it a go. Will post a review after this weekend.

Comment

Quick first review:
                        This ski is a freaking rocket ship cutting across the wake. I've never experienced cross course speed like that before. I've been tinkering with binding placement and think I've found a nice spot. At first I was thinking the 65 was too small as I was having a hard time getting the ski to hold a consistent edge thru my offside turn (its probably 99.9% skier error), but after the fourth set I think I'm getting the swing of things. The ski likes to go fast, I've been constantly skiing at 33-34 (I couldn't hold a cut at 34 mph with the old F1X).

The Vector boots are so comfortable and with the featherlite system they are silly light. The one gripe I have about the Vectors is they have arch support, but they are not left right specific. Therefore the outsides of my feet get a little sore from the additional padding. I hope that packs down sooner than later, then the boots will be amazing. It took a little getting use to going from the Connelly hinge bindings to the Vectors as they are not high wrap boots. But after this weekend I absolutely love the setup.

Comment

Here is the first time on the ski. I apologize for my offside, I've been working on not breaking at the waist, but my technique went backwards with the new ski.

Comment

Looks good to me. Keep up the good work and continue sharing the progress.
                            Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

I am really starting to love this ski!! Moved the bindings around a bit, and removed the break. I'm skiing at 35 mph in the open water now, and just got my PB on the course this weekend...went from 6 at 32 mph -15, to 5 at 34 mph -15.

Comment

Working...
                              X