tips on pulling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tips on pulling

lets hear what it takes to be a good driver?
    It's been years since I pulled a skier and seems I am pulling my skiers/boarders to hard out of the hole.

Should I ease into the throttle then gas it?

A good term to use for pulling up riders/skiers is to "roll" the throttle.

Whats important is to put it in gear to take the slack out then gently roll the throttle to pull them up. Skiers vary for how they like their pull. Some may like a arm jerking hit out of the water where as some may like a slow hit so they can drag for a little.
    Common Sense is not so Common
    Looking for fat chicks for long walks, romance, cheap buffets, and BALLAST.

Comment

I've been doing a lot of driving for beginner single skiers. Here's a few things I've found out at the newbies expense .

I'm just going to add to what Zad said...most beginners cannot react and hold on to a tough tug. If you roll the throttle like Zad said newbies will have a chance to react and shift their body weight accordingly to keep themselves on top of the ski. And eventually out of the water. (Obviously the larger the skier the quicker the roll, but they should have the muscle to get it done). Lighter skiers like my girlfriend, I pull just a hair quicker than a wakeboarder.

Usually I will drag the skier with the motor in gear just a hair above idle. When the skier is ready he/she lets the driver know, and out you go. Some beginners are focusing too hard on keeping the ski up and straight, that they cannot tell me when they are ready. In that case I let them know when they look good and roll the throttle to get them up. If they are having trouble I throw it into neutral and let them gain composure again.

I found a nice used wide body ski for people to learn how to get up on a single ski. It really is amazing how easy it is for some people to get up on that. One thing though, you need to pull them out slow, more like a wakeboarder. If you yank them there is so much more water being pushed around that even a vet will have issues.

I am resisting buying one of these, but that center V straddles your ski and keeps it from drifting when trying to get up. This helps a lot of beginners get up.

Comment

yup, what they said ^

Untill you know what your riders like, just take off the tension and roll on the throttle.
        Make sure your not powerturning either
        Joey - Red 20V Riders Edition

Comment

Those deep-V handles are great!! I highly suggest using one when learning how to slalom.

Comment

Here's another tip I learned this weekend for lighter girls or younger kids.

I was pulling my girl friend and she was having a hell of a time getting up. She would start getting up, then fall forward. In this case it was driver error. I was getting her up by dragging her, the rolling the throttle when she was ready. I continued to roll the throttle too much making her fly out of the ski. I guess that new prop I put in helps with the low end .

So what I learned to get up skiers that aren't as strong...drag them then when they are ready roll the throttle, but once they start popping out of the water don't give it anymore gas! I get her up on a ski just like I would on a wakeboard.

Comment

PERFECT PASS makes great drivers.

ok here is my Yes roll the throttle and watch the skier.

Don't be afraid to use the tower to pull up beginners ,

The deep Vee can be good but also a crutch and dangerous. I have had two people release the handle and have it slide down and wedge between the skiers foot and boot. So I wont use it anymore.
              Sooner or later they will have to give up so why use it.

Once the skier is up drive in a straight line !!!!

Turn arounds should be quick and throttle should be increased as you turn. Then drive straight back up your line you just came down

Comment

Originally posted by 2whlin View Post
                lets hear what it takes to be a good driver?
                It's been years since I pulled a skier and seems I am pulling my skiers/boarders to hard out of the hole.

Should I ease into the throttle then gas it?

What boat are you using?

Comment

Comment

pulling

Originally posted by KonaKing View Post
                    What boat are you using?
                    2001 21i

Comment

That is a sweet shot, I hope to be making turns like that some day...practice makes perfect.

Comment

Who is that?

Comment

friend

Me

Last edited by KonaKing; 09-30-2009, 02:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Joeprunc View Post
                            That is a sweet shot, I hope to be making turns like that some day...practice makes perfect.
                            Oddly enough the harder you push on the tail the bigger the spray and the slower the turn. Less spray equals smoother turns but no bragging rights. Notice how deep the tail of the ski is in the first pic, but it does look cool.

Comment

The angle of the picture is nice but I give it a 2 on form

Comment

Working...
                              X