Pontoon Boat Gas Filling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pontoon Boat Gas Filling

A bit off topic but along with our 22ve we also have an Avalon pontoon boat. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on gas filling with these. From what I gather there are some issues with the new Enviro-fill gas tanks. Everytime I try to fill it up I get gas flowing down the side of the pontoon as well as it takes forever to fill. We've talked to the gas tank manufacturer and they point their fingers at Avalon for not having enough slope on the fill tube. Avalon points their fingers at the gas tank manufacturer for other reasons. The system might work if there wasn't a metal bracket that blocks my anything I put into the fill tube from going in too far. Also complicating things is that if you try to do this on the water the pontoon likes to lean to the gas tank side, especially if someone is assisting and standing on that side of the pontoon. Since I'm getting little to no help from the dealer, gas tank manufacturer, or Avalon, I'm looking to solve this problem myself. I had thought about adding another capped fill to the gas tank used only for filling. Not sure if this is possible or recommended. Others have suggested adding an additional capped vent, used only when filling, to help give the air another route to escape. Any and all suggestions welcome. Thanks! Hopefully the picture comes through which shows the gas fill tube.IMG_3172.jpg

My apologies for the thread location. I meant to post this in off topic.

Same issue here on a 2012 25' princecraft

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Comment

I'm not loving that enormous restriction in pipe diameter right at the fill tube. First thing I'd do is replace that with a normal fill tube that doesn't have the restriction.

Next thing (if that doesn't solve it) would be to add a bigger/second gas tank vent or fill tube, as you mentioned. After you solve the restriction problem (which looks DESIGNED to kick back gasoline during filling!), the next problem is allowing the air to escape while new fuel is going into the tank. If your fill tube is the only way out, it's a prescription for sputtering and spillage. Many people here who have fuel filling problems have seen huge improvements by opening the opposite side's gas cap so the air can escape in a direction other than towards your face .

Hope this helps!

Comment

Thanks ID. I've looked around for a replacement fill but haven't had much luck. Do you have any recommendations on where to look or who to ask?

We always open up the opposite side gas fill on our 22ve but unfortunately the pontoon does not have that feature.

Comment

West Marine shows a bunch on their website under "deck fills". Be careful to look at those meant for "gas", not (for example) "water":

http://www.westmarine.com/deck-fills

Go2Marine has a bunch too:

http://www.go2marine.com/category/11...aps-fills.html

Great Lakes Skipper:

http://greatlakesskipper.com/boat-pa...g/deck-fillers

That should get you started! Pay attention to the hose diameter, there are various options and you want to match whatever your boat already has.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Thanks again! I'll take a look and check back in when we get it figured out.

Comment

If you are filling with gas cans have you considered using a siphon?
              A rattle siphon is much easier to use than holding a gas can up to the side of the boat and wrestling with the enviro fill.
              They have large diameter siphons that can drain 5 gal can pretty quickly. Much faster than the nozzles they sell with gas cans these days.

Comment

We had been filling with a small pump that fits onto the 5 gallon cans (on Amazon here: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) but that always leaked. We did get a special funnel from Avalon that appears to work when filled directly from the 5 gallon containers. My theory is that I had too much from from the transfer pump and that when slowed, and through this funnel, and if you hold your head just right, it will work.

I'm still working on a better solution using IDBoating's advice and will report back when I get to fixing it. Thanks for all the help!

Comment

Working...
                X