First havasu trip tomorrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First havasu trip tomorrow

Taking family to havasu tomorrow for seven days. Have three kids twelve and under. Should I stay away from the lake completely on weekend due to barely clothed females? Suggestions?? Any areas great for boarding? Any shallow spots to be aware of? Thanks for info....

In my opinion, it will be ok taking the kids out on the lake on the weekend as long as you stay away from the channel or Copper Canyon. Those are the two places where crowds like to hang out, have some beverages, listen to music, and party.

Best advice I can give you for boarding is to have plenty of fuel so you can go as far South on the lake as possible. The further you travel in that direction, the more likely you'll find decent water without constantly worrying about other boats.

I'm not aware of any shallow spots other than if you head North through the Topock Gorge. The only shallow spots I've had to avoid while at Havasu are located in the channel, North of the London Bridge where the condos are. You have to be careful going through there, more so when there are lots of boats trying to get through in both directions.

If you plan on cruising through the channel, I recommend doing it during the week the 1st time so you know the layout if you plan on going back when it's busier.

Do you know where you plan to launch? The Lake Havasu Marina is nice. It can be expensive but definitely worth it as it is basically the only launch ramp in Havasu that's protected from the wind. I went to Havasu 5 or 6 times last year and found this to be the best place to launch.

Good luck!

Comment

Great info. Much appreciated. Our timeshare has a deal worked out with Havasu state park to keep our boat there. I believe that would also be on a trailer not in the water. I've contimplated seeing if I can keep it on the water at havasu marina. I see they do it by the day but no reservations. Thanks again.

Comment

Good advice listed above. I would add- make a trip north early in the week (not Fri-Sun) and visit pirates cove. It's a long boat ride, but worth in my opinion. It's past the 40 highway (under the bridge) on the left. Board south as mentioned, channel- not recommended on a weekend with kids. My 2 cents. As for shallow spots, be careful approaching channel at north end of lake. Many boats fly through that area, but it can get as shallow as 2-3 feet if you don't know where you're going. Better to go slow and safe in my opinion.

Comment

I recommend going north up the river to at least Topock Gorge -- it's a nice trip. You do have to watch for shallow spots/submerged sand bars as you get toward the river mouth. And the sand shifts, so the open paths can change. Best advice I got on that (from Zany on this site) is to find a boat bigger than yours and follow it (with enough room to stop if he has trouble).

I would also avoid the channel and Copper Canyon on the weekend, but if you can get there at a slow time during the week, they are worth seeing. The cliff jumping at Copper Canyon is fun (if you're safe about it), and the kidsi usually like seeing London Bridge and getting some ice cream/shaved ice there as well.

I haven't tried to get a slip at Havasu Marina in probably 6-7 years, but last time I did it, I remember they had some you could keep as long as you wanted once you got it, but there were very few available, and it was first come first served. I remember lining up at about 5:30 in the morning, beng second in line and getting the last one available that day. Each day, it's a crap shoot as to what will become available. It's kind of a hassle, but it beats pulling the boat off the water every evening for a week.

As for the water, like most lakes, early morning is your best bet for good water. Afternoons are more typically choppy, but we've had some weekday afternoons that were awesome. Those are the exceptions, though.

Good luck, and have a great time.

Comment

Thanks all for the info....Have been out twice on my new to me Tige. Came from 1986 bayliner with outboard. We are so excited!!!!!

Comment

I agree with what everyone says about visiting Topock Gorge. It is absolutely beautiful up there. Be very very careful when traveling North from the lake though. I have seen a bunch of boats get stuck and a friend of ours ran into a sand bar. It is very shallow but worth it if you feel comfortable with your kids on board. Coops idea is great, follow another boat through that area

Comment

Should be no problem getting a slip. Holiday weekend is over and the weekend after Memorial Day is always a little slower. Going up north on the river is always a nice trip through Topock. Just follow a large boat. Saturday is the busiest day. Sunday most weekenders do not go on the lake, Sunday through Friday will be minimal crowds. South side of the lake is perfect for watersports. If you are going to launch tow boat to Cattail Cove state park and launch their. Go left out of the marina and water is usually good before the pumping station. Keep heading south to the dam. During the week this area is usually empty. Have fun!!
                Let it be!!!

Comment

Thanks to all.....

Comment

Working...
                  X