So Cal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So Cal

headed there next week 4-7th. any great hidden spots or beaches that would be awesome to visit?

we really have no plans.. just want to surf\body board and see the ocean.
    2011 Tigé RZ4
    www.re-viveupholstery.com

What part are you going to?
    Are you looking for just Beach suggestions, or cool local place to eat at?
    Tige, it's a way of life!

Comment

Originally posted by whitlock87 View Post
      What part are you going to?
      Are you looking for just Beach suggestions, or cool local place to eat at?
      heck.. any and all suggestions welcome. but yeah.. some great off the beaten path places to eat.. and beaches ext.. would be awesome..

pretty much just plan to make my way down the coast from long beach to san diego.
      2011 Tigé RZ4

Comment

I live in Huntington beach. If you like sushi try Sushi on FIre on main street (get the white rolls). HB is a pretty long and clean beach with plenty of state parking. Newport is nice but is all residential so parking sucks. If you really like to body board and body surf, spend a day at balboa pair or the wedge in newport. If you want to have a mini hawaii vacation, drive down to laguna. There are countless beaches down there that you can go adventure on. The beaches are very rocky though. If you in laguna, try Mozambique's resturant. from 3-6 they have happy hour and everything is very cheap. I would definitely stay away from long beach, there are no waves because of a jetty out in harbor.

Comment

Ok if you go to balboa pair, then you need to get a Pizza at Mutt lynchs. (It a bar, but I feel they have the best Pizza in OC or LA county.) http://www.muttlynchs.com/. We also have a place called Zubies that has the best shrimp tacos and there Nachos are a meal in itself. http://www.zubiesdrydock.com/ ( check there pricing, it is very low for what you get)
          Are you bringing your Boat?
          Tige, it's a way of life!

Comment

Ok if you go to balboa pair, then you need to get a Pizza at Mutt lynchs. (It a bar, but I feel they have the best Pizza in OC or LA county.) http://www.muttlynchs.com/. We also have a place called Zubies that has the best shrimp tacos and there Nachos are a meal in itself. http://www.zubiesdrydock.com/ ( check there pricing, it is very low for what you get)
            No leaving the boat home. Just hoppin in the car with a couple body boards and ending up where we end up. but its always good to have some locals help you out!

thanks for the advice.
            2011 Tigé RZ4

Comment

sweet!!! we always look for some pizza on trips.!
              2011 Tigé RZ4

Comment

kx250frider617 set you straight for the beaches... I would also add in San Clemente, but the locals there can be brutal, so just be careful not to drop in on any of them when boarding... there is also a great seafood restaurant right on the San Clemente pier if you are still there at dinner (a little pricey, but IMO, worth it). Further south I would recommend Pacific Beach in the San Diego area. The bars are always hopping on the weekends... so much so that many locals refer to it as the P.B. Crawl. I would avoid the Gas Lamp district in San Diego. I know a lot of people like to go bar hopping down there (including my son), but it's an uptight crowd if you ask me. Last beach stop - Ocean Beach - north of the pier. Not too far North though, or you might have a dog come out to greet ya... "Dog Beach" is open to dogs - and many are not on a leash. Enjoy the trip!

Comment

If you like burgers, here is a great place to go in San Diego, CA:

http://hodadies.com/home/

Just be careful with requesting onions. They will pile them on...

Comment

Sounds like a fun trip.

Not sure of your level of experience surfing and what size boards you ride? There are some local ocean breaks in San Clemente to avoid if you don't have the skills. That is probably true in any surf town. There are definitely quite a few ocean breaks for visitors. I would recommend San Clemente State Beach or San Onofre State Beach often referred to as "Trails". There is one unique beach where you can drive up to the sand and hang out by your car 60s style called "Old Mans". It is a long slow break for long boarding. It's pretty cool.

The restaurant on the San Clemente pier is called The Fisherman. As mentioned, great food and pricey. The pier itself is neat. We usually go there for some walks at sunset. Killer sunsets behind Catalina Island. Some food not to miss is Wahoo's Fish Tacos. They are a chain and are found in quite a few areas. I can't get enough of that place.

In Dana Point there are sometimes small surfable waves at Doheny and great fish and chips at Jon's Fish Market. mmm. This is making me hungry. I have to think of some more and post them up.
                    Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAllen View Post
                      Sounds like a fun trip.

Not sure of your level of experience surfing and what size boards you ride? There are some local ocean breaks in San Clemente to avoid if you don't have the skills. That is probably true in any surf town. There are definitely quite a few ocean breaks for visitors. I would recommend San Clemente State Beach or San Onofre State Beach often referred to as "Trails". There is one unique beach where you can drive up to the sand and hang out by your car 60s style called "Old Mans". It is a long slow break for long boarding. It's pretty cool.

The restaurant on the San Clemente pier is called The Fisherman. As mentioned, great food and pricey. The pier itself is neat. We usually go there for some walks at sunset. Killer sunsets behind Catalina Island. Some food not to miss is Wahoo's Fish Tacos. They are a chain and are found in quite a few areas. I can't get enough of that place.

In Dana Point there are sometimes small surfable waves at Doheny and great fish and chips at Jon's Fish Market. mmm. This is making me hungry. I have to think of some more and post them up.
                      I just back from a lil camp trip to san mateo campground, surfed uppers trestles and lost winds. Enjoyed some ankle high surf but it was still a blast. Luckily the drive back to HB isn't too bad.

Comment

I was just watching the Lowers Pro on tv.

San Clemente is definitely on of my favorite spots on SoCal. Only been there a couple times but, I'm always at ease when I'm there. It's not the usual hustle&bustle of LA. Cool town.

That's about the extent of my SoCal knowledge. I only get down there maybe once a year. You might want check for any shows down there. You never know who might be playing.

This is a list of solid joints for eating in LA.
                        You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAllen View Post
                          Some food not to miss is Wahoo's Fish Tacos. They are a chain and are found in quite a few areas. I can't get enough of that place.
                          X2 on Wahoo's.

Another place to consider for lunch or an early dinner is The Beachcomber in Crystal Cove (between Newport and Laguna). It's good because it's right on the sand - nice atmosphere. Only downsides are that it's a little overpriced due to the location, and you have to park across PCH and take a shuttle down to it.

Here's the website: www.thebeachcombercafe.com. You generally want reservations, so it may not work for a trip where you're just winging it.

Have a great trip.

Comment

Originally posted by NICKYPOO View Post
                            I was just watching the Lowers Pro on tv.

San Clemente is definitely on of my favorite spots on SoCal. Only been there a couple times but, I'm always at ease when I'm there. It's not the usual hustle&bustle of LA. Cool town.

That's about the extent of my SoCal knowledge. I only get down there maybe once a year. You might want check for any shows down there. You never know who might be playing.

This is a list of solid joints for eating in LA.
                            hey where is this list.. lol.. thnx
                            2011 Tigé RZ4

Comment

Here you go.

Eat Street Lyrics by People Under the Stairs

I might call your spot pumpin’ if you got crushed ice In a styrofoam cup with the refill rights So homie no time to chill we got places to try I gotta find some grilled onions and a large side of fries

Some guys are mad smart, some guys are tough dudes But me and my homies we mostly care about food Got spots to peruse and never choosin’ McDonald’s I’m talkin Al’s cheesteaks, Dino’s and Chano’s

Tomy’s on Pico, Hi-Life in Pasadena Man and Lucky Boy too and I can’t forget Arena Wilson Burger by PCH in Hawthorne And right around the corner is Y-Not, it’s awesome

Melrose got Astro’s and that’s that I only mess with Fat Burger if your fries are fat Now Whittier got Ruby’s they’re renowned for their shakes It’s like the Claim Jumper pilin’ up the food on your plate

Wait, now better yet let me tell you ’bout that Busy Bee You get the Belly Buster–the chicken or the pastrami Tommy’s on the late night, Eat Well for breakfast And Fritto Misto with my lady–gnocchi’s the best dish

Shout to Papadakis, Lighthouse and a Waffle House Fantastic Cafe and Pronto they rule the South Word to your mouth until the next Phillippe’s Yo I’m out on the streets looking for something to eat

When I’m chillin’ I’d rather be grillin’ Gimme a plate of the flavor and Mike starts stealin’ Now if I ain’t squeezin’ lemon on the roast chicken I’m jumpin’ on the row like the fast food villain

Burgers I be killin’, tomatoes and all I be coolin’ in the food court of your favorite mall Buyin’ brunch like it was weight, throw it in the back of the trunk I’m off to Tom’s #2 to get me some lunch

Ten beef tacos, senor. Extra cheese. And the chips that you got at the store, lookie here Now I just passed Oki-Dog, I’m headed toward Lucy’s Passed the Roscoe’s–they can keep them waffles

In the distance I see a place they call El Rey Home of the garbage burrito and if not then hit Benito’s Taquitos for days and a big bag of Lay’s Wash it down with a soft drink, hmm…let me think

I head down west to the A-1 Burger Where the french fries are fresh and you might get murdered Or what about Johnny’s pastramis and shakes So you can hit Chabelita’s for the midnight break

After the club spend a dub and you can feed your crew On any given day this is what I might do Go place a order…then wait…pick it up
                              You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

Working...
                              X