Catalina Ski Race, 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Catalina Ski Race, 2009

For anyone interested we like to do this once a year for kicks........

http://picasaweb.google.com/jrossi67/CSR2009#

Approximately 60 miles round trip from Long Beach to Avalon (Catalina Island) and back, preferably non-stop!!!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by JGR; 09-15-2009, 02:57 PM.

Thats insane how fast are skiing? and what kind of times are you logging.

Comment

In our division about 1:12. Open division they are just about 50 minute! Boats in open division with a good skier need the ability to run near 100 mph. My division about 80 mph. Since it's ocean conditions you never really know what speed you will be pulling the skier. Inside the breakwater leaving and returning most boats are wide open. Once our in the ocean it really varies. This year was pretty flat. The winner broke the record at about 50 min which is unbelievable. There was actually a skier just infront of him at the finish and a boat crossed the course and threw up a wake and the leader did a face plant at about 90!
      Last edited by JGR; 09-21-2009, 01:18 AM.

Comment

Thats faster than I want to ski. 36 mph is plenty fast for me.

Comment

Umm. Wow.

What kind of disconnect rig is in this pic?

Comment

Kona I hear that, that's why I drive........... LOL

Duncan the skier pictured is skiing Australian style. They wrap the handles behind their back and grip them with one hand. The hold the rope in from of them with the other. It takes the stress off the lower back for these long races. Most speed skiers use this method these day. If you click on the link I above I have more pics posted and will help to clarify my explanation.

This guy had just gotten up at the start of the race. My son with in the start boat and when the skier went by and saw a big camera he took his front had off the rope and gave him a wave.

NOTE: We pull them with a 200' line, give or take 10' or so. We elevate where we connect the ski line (not as high as a tower) to help keep it out of the water. Since the line is so long it gets heavy every time it gets wet.

I'll attach a pic. You can see my right hand resting on the custom pylon we installed just for this race.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by JGR; 09-22-2009, 12:44 AM.

Comment

Wow! That's very impressive! Definitely way faster than I would want to be towed at!

Comment

Oh. So you are going about 100 mph with the rope wrapped around you ... makes much more sense now

Custom pylon? I see no pylon

Comment

Duncan you are funny. It was a trick pic to see if you could find the pylon. LOL

You got it the down side of being wrapped up is the major injuries that can occur during a bad fall. Usually causes the front arm to loose mobility and is commonly referred to as "dead arm".

Comment

way too fast for me

pretty interesting nonetheless
                    "I feel sorry for people that don't drink, when they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Comment

Working...
                    X