Footstock 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Footstock 2009

Any midwestern TOs think about or going to Footstock this year?

Have always wanted to go to this event: http://www.barefootcentral.info/2009...tock_Frame.htm

Let me know if you are going, might see you there!

So what is a typical run for the people competing in this? I'd assume you have some serious people out there.

Comment

Originally posted by illiniboarder88 View Post
      So what is a typical run for the people competing in this? I'd assume you have some serious people out there.
      If you check out the Footstock “Memory Road" section on the link I posted you can see some of the names of the previous winners. They have a ton of pro footers attend the event. Keith St. Onge reigning world Champ and Peter Fleck went head-to-head for 3 complete laps a couple times before Peter finally fell. But that is in the Open division.

The rest of the mere mortals usually get about 3/4s of a total figure 8 in before someone falls. The course is a mile and a 1/2and takes about a 90 seconds to complete at an average speed of 41 MPH.

I have done a couple figure 8s in FL but never been to this one.

I am really going to try and make the trip up for this one unless something w/ work causes a problem.

with your endurance skills I bet you would do very well. The hardest part for some is to get up on one ski and do the step off in the right place. Alot of footers never use skis.

Comment

ohh, I've never started off of a ski. I've seen it done. Are there rules w the ski? A friend made one that uses two rear toe hold boots, so it's easier to kick off.

Comment

Originally posted by illiniboarder88 View Post
          ohh, I've never started off of a ski. I've seen it done. Are there rules w the ski? A friend made one that uses two rear toe hold boots, so it's easier to kick off.
          No rules other than you have to step off the ski and be footing by the start buoy. You can start off on 2 skis and then drop to one and then do your step off it you wish. I believe in the rules section on the link it states that if you fall before the step off zone you get a re-ride but if you biff in the step off zone you are out. The good thing it is a double elimination tourney.

A step off ski can be anything you want. You are right most do not have a heel cup which makes it a little easier to shed the ski. Any old clunker of a ski will do. From what I have heard there are plenty of them there and people are very willing to lend out a ski.

A step off is very easy just get up to speed set your foot on the water set back a little and then transfer your weight over your foot and flick your other foot to get rid of the ski.

It happens so fast you hardly even notice that you are on one foot for a millisecond.

Comment

Working...
          X